Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The NHTSA's complaint data shows potentially scary power steering problems with the 2011 Ford Explorer.

The NHTSA complaints are pretty serious - owners report the power steering cuts out while driving. The NHTSA opened an investigation in June 2012 but hasn't reached a decision about a recall yet. In the meantime, buyers beware.

It's too bad because the 2009 & 2010 Ford Explorer are solid, trouble-free model years.

2011 Ford Explorer seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Explorer:

2011 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Jan 122016

I have my air bag light on my dash, and my emergency lights do not work. This car is too young to have such problems. My passenger back seat belt case is broken as well. The stitching on the seat belt seem to be tearing. This is only a 2011 Ford Explorer it is way to young for all these major safety issues. My mechanic cant figure it out.

- Spring Valley, CA, USA

Apr 062015

Vehicle SRS warning light illuminated and extinguished sporadically for several days before staying illuminated permanently. The diagnostic codes indicate failure of the supplemental restraint system. Troubleshooting, research, and diagnostics have revealed poor electrical connections at various connectors throughout the vehicle for the SRS system. Dealer service has indicated potential failure of the entire safety system to perform its function (pre-tensioners, airbag deployment, etc) if this light is illuminated.

- Rogersville, AL, USA

Jan 082014

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that water was leaking into the vehicle through the rear passenger seat belt area. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 56,000.

- Magnolia, MS, USA

Sep 102013

A seat belt/air bag warning light has been coming on intermittently. I was told that the service dealers could only investigate this when the light was on. As it comes and goes, I have not been able to take the vehicle into the dealer for a couple of months. When I did, I was told that it was no longer in warranty and I would be charged about $450. The representative said if I did not get is corrected that the air bag would not work properly thereby exposing me to risk. It seems that a situation such as this should be covered by the manufacturer indefinitely or are they willing to take the chance that their customers will not be injured for an error on their part in manufacture. I had the defect repaired at my expense but would like to have an investigation opened and possible charges against Ford Motor Company and possibly even their dealership network.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 152011

Explorer 6-cyl

I pulled into my driveway at a slow rate of speed, as I was braking the car was not stopping, as I pressed on the brake pedal it collapsed all the way to the floor but the brakes did not engage, just before the car hit the garage door which was directly in front of me the right front brake engaged, fully, stopping the right front tire only, the car pulled to the right and instead of hitting the garage door it struck a concrete column to the immediate right of the garage door. The air bags did not deploy and the seat belts automatic locking retractor did not engage so I was thrown forward into the steering wheel. The vehicle was towed to the dealership it was purchased from. We contacted Ford, filled out and returned the paperwork they requested, after almost four months of the vehicle sitting at the dealership waiting on Ford they decided that the problem was not caused by a manufacturer's defect. I am not sure how they could come up with that assumption as the vehicle was not in drivable condition and according to the dealership Ford never checked it. We have pictures showing the one skid mark from the right front tire and none from the other three tires.

- Marathon, FL, USA