CarComplaints.com Notes: The NHTSA's complaint data shows potentially scary power steering problems with the 2011 Ford Explorer.

The NHTSA complaints are pretty serious - owners report the power steering cuts out while driving. The NHTSA opened an investigation in June 2012 but hasn't reached a decision about a recall yet. In the meantime, buyers beware.

It's too bad because the 2009 & 2010 Ford Explorer are solid, trouble-free model years.

2011 Ford Explorer steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Explorer:

2011 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 12 of 16)

Sep 042012

Explorer

Driving slow speed with 1year old and 3 year old babies power steering failed. Warning light came on. Gladly I was close to home and vehicle was picked up by roadside assistance will see what Ford says tomorrow.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Sep 042012

Explorer 6-cyl

Power steering stopped working. Cannot drive car. Error message "power steering assist fault".

- Alanson, MI, USA

Sep 022012

Explorer 6-cyl

As coasting to a stop light from approximately 35 mph down to 5 and maybe even completely stopped, the service advance trac warning light came on and then noticed power steering was nearly lost. I was in the left lane and was able to pull over to a side street, stop and restart the car, and then it drove fine. Taking it into a dealer for evaluation today and have notified a Ford person via online message board.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Aug 292012

Explorer 6-cyl

I was making a left hand turn, when the warning message came on letting me know the "power steering assist failed" and then lost all power for steering. I was able to pull over, stop & restart the vehicle and the power steering came back. I immediately took the car to the dealership and the electrical power steering unit will have to be replaced along with the 'rack & pinion' attachments. I tow a boat from time to time and this could have developed into a dangerous situation, as the vehicle was extremely difficult to steer. Fortunately, I was close to a parking lot at the time and I was able to perform the restart.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jan 112012

Explorer

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the steering wheel locked and the steering warning indicator illuminated. The contact suddenly crashed into the proceeding vehicle. There were no personal injuries. The vehicle was driven to an authorized dealer where the radiator, front bumper and grill were replaced. The technician was unable to determine the cause of the steering malfunction. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 15,000.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Aug 292012

Explorer 6-cyl

While turning right at about 6 - 10 mph the steering failed and vehicle was extremely hard to control. Luckily no damage or injury, would have been very unsafe if happened at higher speed.

- Nicholasville, KY, USA

Aug 222012

Explorer

"terrain management assist fault" and "power steering assist fault" warning lights pop up and steering locks up while vehicle is in motion. Hard to regain control of steering and have to muscle car over to curb and turn off engine and restart car to get drivable this has happened on two occasions. Vehicle again at Ford dealer. First occasion last week and dealer could not replicate issue, reprogrammed computer and released us. Problem happened again this morning and car taken to dealer.

- Kensington, MD, USA

Aug 252012

Explorer 6-cyl

I was traveling approx 60mph when an alert from the dash sounded, the steering wheel vibrated and 2 messages appeared on the onboard messaging system: 1) "power steering assist fault" and 2) "service advance trac". at that time I lost all power steering ability. I am very fortunate that I was driving on a straight stretch of road at the time as I am unsure if I could have kept the vehicle from going off of the road. I pulled over at a gas station and turned the car off. I restarted the car approx 5 min later and it had no warnings and the power steering had been restored. The next day, the exact same thing happened, except I was going approx 10mph turning left into the Ford dealership to let them look at this problem. They informed me today that they needed to order a new "rack" and that the part was "backordered" and had a delivery date of November (today's date is 8/27/12).

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Aug 272012

Explorer 6-cyl

After stopping at a stop sign, I began to accelerate through an intersection. Approximately half way through the intersection, the power steering was lost and a chime sounded with a message stating"power assist failure" and then another message of "service advancetrac" were shown in the dashboard display. I was able to continue through the intersection and pull over to the side of the road. I turned the vehicle off and when I restarted it, the power steering was working again. This is the second time it has happened in this vehicle. The first time was in June of 2012, but I wasn't aware of this website to report the problem. I also did not make an appointment at the dealership for it to be looked at as it seemed like a rare event.

- Warren, PA, USA

Aug 222012

Explorer

Driving along and the power steering has failed three times. Turn car off and restart and it works again. Taking to Ford dealer on August 27 for review. Same as inhtsa action number: PE12017.

- Andover, MN, USA

Aug 162012

Explorer

The management terrain and power assist warning lights came on. Then I had no power steering. It became very difficult to steer and control car. This has happened at low speed 3 times and at a dead stop 3 times. I have been able to reset by turning the car off and re-starting.

- Highland Park, NJ, USA

Aug 242012

Explorer

I was driving down a steep and curvy road and the steering locked and the power steering failure light came on along with the all terrain assistance failure light. Luckily no one was behind me and I was able to pull over... I turned the car off and the failure light remained for both the power steering and all terrain. I turned the car off when I arrived at my destination and the fault came back about 10 minutes later when I was driving home. I have an 8 month old child and I am afraid to drive this car. We have had nothing but problems with this vehicle... about a year ago the sync system totally crapped out and the vehicle was sitting at the dealer for about a month. We pay about $700 a month for this on a lease and can't wait to turn it back in.

- Hackettstown, NJ, USA

Aug 242012

Explorer 6-cyl

A warning message saying "service autotrac" came on, following quickly by a power steering warning message. At that point, I could no longer steer the vehicle enough to continue driving.

- Midland, TX, USA

Aug 072012

Explorer 6-cyl

I was pulling out of my garage and only got about 6 feet out of the garage and I immediately lost power steering - there was a message showing on the dash "power steering module fault". 2 days before this happened there was a very hard shaking in the front end. You could see the front passenger seat shake. The Ford dealer said that was caused by a problem with the drive shaft. And also said that Ford is aware of people having problems with the drive shaft also.

- Boston, MA, USA

Aug 152012

Explorer

I was slowing down and getting into the left turn lane. The light was green so I started to turn left and the traction light system came on, both lights, and the steering system failure alert came on and I lost all power steering and almost hit a pole. It was a nice day, no rain or moisture. The pavement was dry.

- Sharpsburg, GA, USA

Aug 132012

Explorer 6-cyl

Started parked Explorer and went to back up. The power assist steering fault light came on at the same time as the service advance trac light. I was unable to turn the vehicle at all.tried backing up and going forward but the steering wheel would not move. Next I shut the engine off and turned it back on. The failure lights would not clear and the steering was still locked. Called our local Ford dealer and they me try restarting several times. Eventually the process worked and the steering came back.dealer advised to bring the vehicle in right away.local dealer provided a rental car. Dealer called the next day and said our Explorer was not safe to drive. Dealer ordered replacement steering rack. Projected date for replacement part is November 9. our dealer has been great. I am not sure even when the car is repaired will I trust it.

- Chester, CT, USA

Aug 062012

Explorer 6-cyl

On three separate occasions within the past two weeks the power steering has failed. The most recent event occurred while my wife was driving at highway speeds. She said the car was uncontrollable and she had to brake to a stop in the travel lane. The problem can be resolved temporarily by shutting off the ignition and power and restarting, but it is obviously a recurring issue.

- Concord, MA, USA

Jul 232012

Explorer 6-cyl

I was making a right turn onto a service drive to go on the expressway. As I was completing the turn I lost the power steering & the car started to decelerate. I got 2 messages on the dashboard, the only one I paid attention to was "service advance track", I think the 2nd message was about a loss of power steering. If it was, it was because of the advance track breaking. I was able to pull over to the side of the road & stop the car. Shutting the car off & restarting did nothing to clear the problem. When I looked up advance track in the owner's manual it explicitly said if the advance track broke the car would decelerate & power steering would be lost & the car would need to be towed, it should not be driven if this happened. I then called the dealer & was told I would need to have the car towed in. When I called the next day I was told the part had been ordered & should be in on wed & then it would be installed. When I called on wed I was told the part was on a 2 week national backorder; which meant the part would not be in until Aug 9. it is now Aug 20 & the part has still not been received, I have no idea when the dealer expects delivery. The dealer has been very good about it & I am driving a rental car, paid for by Ford, until the repair is complete. Earlier in the year I had another problem with the throttle boot needing to be replaced & I wonder now if the 2 problems are related.

- Canton, MI, USA

Jul 282012

Explorer 6-cyl

While traveling down a highway at approximately 70 mph the power steering went out on our Ford Explorer. Obviously this was not a good situation. We almost caused an accident. We pulled to the side of the road. Shut the car off. Eventually restarted the vehicle and continued on our travels. When we returned home from vacation we contacted Ford and they now have our Explorer in their shop and we have been driving a rental car for 2 weeks. Several weeks prior to this when I started the vehicle to back it out of the garage the power steering had failed and the warning light was on. I shut the vehicle off and restarted it and the power seemed to work fine. I had no other issues with it until the 7/28/12 incident described above.

- Ephrata, PA, USA

Aug 102012

Explorer 6-cyl

Vehicle was traveling on an interstate when three warnings came up, all referring back to the power steering. The vehicle became extremely difficult to turn. We were able to move the vehicle off to the side of the road. Vehicle was turned off and seem to reset. We then drove the vehicle to the dealership where it still sits.

- Warrensburg, NY, USA