CarComplaints.com Notes: The NHTSA's complaint data shows potentially scary power steering problems with the 2011 Ford Explorer.

The NHTSA complaints are pretty serious - owners report the power steering cuts out while driving. The NHTSA opened an investigation in June 2012 but hasn't reached a decision about a recall yet. In the meantime, buyers beware.

It's too bad because the 2009 & 2010 Ford Explorer are solid, trouble-free model years.

2011 Ford Explorer steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Explorer:

2011 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 14 of 16)

Jun 042012

Explorer 6-cyl

A warning light came on while I was making a right turn. The steering wheel became hard turn, the first time I was able to get the truck to the curb and restart the truck. That seemed to make the light go away and I was able to make turns with ease. The other time the I lost my power steering, I was traveling on the highway on my way home from work traffic was heavy, it was a struggle to get to the breakdown from the left lane. I was able to avoid some close calls that day. I have lost the power steering several other times before, but that incident made me set up the truck for service. I made my call on 7/20/12 for a 7/28/12 service, the Ford service center customer rep. Told me the part is back order and they don't know they will have the part in stock, also they kept the truck and gave a Ford Focus to drive. Not good considering I use my truck for work.

- Roslindale, MA, USA

Jul 122012

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

Power steering assist failure warning came on as I lost steering. Brought the car to the dealer where they they reprogrammed epas module which obviously wasnt the problem because 7/27/2012 I was driving on the highway at 55mph and the same thing happened again...I was barely able to steer the car off the road.

- Hawthorne, NY, USA

Explorer

Suddenly lost power steering assist and made it harder to steer the vehicle. The dash board indicated "power steering assist fault" and "service advancetrack". this happened twice and after switching off the power and restarting the vehicle corrected the problem.

- Oak Brook, IL, USA

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

Was driving to work and was turning into the parking lot and the instrument panel suddenly showed "power steering default" and then the steering became extremely hard. Vehicle acted as if it had no power steering at all. Made it to a parking spot. Turned off vehicle. Got out checked for leaks, checked to see if power steering was low. (no leaks, fluid level was fine) restarted vehicle, the computer seemed to reset and steering seemed fine. Drove around parking lot steering fine. Has not happened again. Taking vehicle to dealership to have them check. Vehicle has less than 12,000 miles 2011 Ford Explorer limited 4X4, V6 motor.

- Leesburg, VA, USA

Explorer 6-cyl

Power steering failure on 2011 Ford Explorer while traveling in neighborhood. Started the vehicle with remote start to cool vehicle in hot, humid houston, Texas about 3 to 4 minutes before entering it. We drove 1.2 miles to an acquaintance's residence to co-sign a check for non-profit payment. Left vehicle running for +/- 3 minutes in his driveway. Backed out of his driveway and drove 1/2 mile when lost power steering and noticed two messages on the dash. One showed "power steering assist fault" and other "service auto tracking". stopped on the street, shut off engine, and restarted the car. No message. Drove 1/4 and the event recurred as described. Returned home and parked car at our personal residence. Called russell & smith Ford service department at 5:03pm and left message. Suspect it is after hours and will not hear from them until morning of July 26, 2012. The message is not in owner's manual. Searched the internet and noticed NHTSA investigation and chose to contribute and provide contact information.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 242012

Explorer 6-cyl

Vehicle owner was driving to work this morning and when vehicle let out a chime and the message center stated that the electronic power steering assist had failed. Immediately, steering became quite difficult, but the driver was able to maneuver the vehicle safely to the side of the road. Driver shut engine off, waited a minute, and restarted vehicle. Systems appeared to be reset, message center was clear, and driver proceeded to drive to work. Driver was aware of this issue occurring in 2011 Ford Explorer and was fortunately prepared for it to happen.

- Cedar Grove, NJ, USA

May 232012

Explorer

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the power steering failed and the steering wheel became extremely difficult to steer. The power steering warning light illuminated and a warning bell sounded during the failure. The contact shut the vehicle off and upon restart, the vehicle operated as normal. The failure had since recurred once. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and they were in the process of repairing the steering system. The contact was informed that they were awaiting the availability of parts. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and the contact was awaiting a response. The failure mileage was 13,000.

- Alpine, CA, USA

Jul 232012

Explorer 6-cyl

I was driving with my children on June 5, 2012 when suddenly the steering wheel locked. Shortly there after a yellow alert message appeared saying that a "power steering asst fail" had occurred. I could not do anything with the car and was frantic hoping that we would not be hit by other traffic. As a last resort I totally shut off the car and turned it back on. The car was then drive-able and I immediately took it to the dealership. They serviced the vehicle and noted that the car showed a voltage drop. They determined that there was nothing else they could do as the trouble shooting steps were complete and there was nothing visibly wrong with the vehicle. Now just shy of 6 weeks later I was again driving with my children in the car when the very same "power steering asst fail" alert came on as my steering wheel locked again. I tried to yank on the steering wheel to see if it would budge or if there was anything else I could. Remembering the last scenario I turned the car off and on again. This time, the same message appeared and nothing changed. Desperate I turned the car on and off again and the message went away and I was able to steer the vehicle. It is currently being towed to the dealership. I do not feel safe driving this vehicle and would be fearful to get behind the wheel of it again.

- Virignia Beach, VA, USA

Apr 182012

Explorer

I was on my way home from work and carpooling with 2 other coworkers. I had exited off the highway going approximately 55 mph. All of the sudden, I received a message, "power steering assist fault", and my steering locked up. Luckily I was on the straight part of the road heading toward a stop sign. Once there, I put the car in park, shut it off, and then restarted it. The error was gone and my steering wheel worked again. I took it in to the Ford dealership and was told that it was a sensor that needed to be replaced. It took a week for the problem to be fixed. On July 19, 2012, just 3 months after the problem was supposedly fixed, I took off from a red light going about 25 mph and again I received the "power steering assist fault" message and my steering locked up again. I had my children with me in the car and thank goodness there was nobody behind me and I was able to slowly pull into a parking lot. I shut off the car and restarted it and the error was gone and I could drive my car again. It is currently at the Ford dealership awaiting to have the problem fixed again. Ready to get rid of this vehicle as it poses a major safety hazard!

- College Station, TX, USA

Jul 162012

Explorer

I was crossing traffic and the power steering went out. I had to stop to turn the wheel so I could make my turn. I was so lucky there was no traffic coming and I wasn't going any faster because I could have hit a tree.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Jul 112012

Explorer

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the power steering seized completely. The traction control warning light also illuminated as the engine was turned off for about three minutes. Upon restart, the vehicle functioned as normal. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who inspected the failure and stated that the steering column needed to be replaced. The failure would be repaired under warranty but the parts were on back order. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 11,000.

- Old Bridge, NJ, USA

Jul 142012

Explorer 6-cyl

"terrain management system fault", and "power steering assist fault" both popped up on left hand screen and my steering wheel locked up. This happened twice while turning into a driveway and once after stopping at a stop sign. Took it into the dealership and they said they could not duplicate the failure. 2 days after getting it back from the dealer it happened 2 more times. Taking it back but I have to wait 2 weeks for a courtesy rental car.

- West Chester, PA, USA

Jun 232012

Explorer 6-cyl

I purchased the 2011 Ford Explorer on 6/10/12. On three separate occasions the car was started and power steering would not work but was able to be remedied by turning the ignition off and back on again. An appointment was set up to have car serviced. On two more separate occasions after appointment was made power steering was lost while driving on the highway at speeds ranging 55 to 65. On July 3rd once again while car was being started the power steering wouldn't work and was unable to be remedied by turning off ignition and restarting. The vehicle was towed to a Ford dealer and still awaiting back ordered part that I am told may take a long time.

- Attleboro, MA, USA

Jul 142012

Explorer

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, she noticed that the power steering stopped functioning. The contact was able to safely maneuver to the shoulder. The vehicle was then towed to the dealer for a diagnosis. The dealer stated that they needed to replace the steering axle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and offered no asssitance. The failure and current mileages were 17,800. The VIN was unavailable.

- Avon , MA, USA

Jul 172012

Explorer 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, the power steering failed and the vehicle became very difficult to steer. The contact mentioned that the advance trac and power steering warning lamps illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 22,000. Updated 8/31/12 the consumer stated the vehicle was repaired after a month. Updated 09/11/2012

- St Charles, MO, USA

Jun 162012

Explorer

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Explorer. While driving approximately 5 mph, there was an unexpected loss in the power steering with an illumination of the all trac system warning indicator. The brake pedal was abruptly engaged to avoid hitting several pedestrians in the parking lot. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis and an unknown part related to the power steering was replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 13,100.

- Goshen, KY, USA

Jun 292012

Explorer 6-cyl

While slowing my 2011 Ford Explorer at an intersection, the power steering stopped working and the wheel felt locked. An error message showed 'power assist failure'. I was barely able to get the vehicle to the side of the road to turn it off. Once restarted, the error message cleared. This has occurred 4 times in 3 weeks after having the vehicle 1 year. It had approximately 8,600 miles on it when this began to occur.

- Longview, TX, USA

Mar 152012

Explorer

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that the power steering failed while reversing from a residential driveway. The power steering and traction warning lights illuminated during the failure. The power steering failed seven different times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer four times and the manufacturer was contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 13,000 and the current mileage was 17,000.

- Richmond, KY, USA

Jul 122012

Explorer 6-cyl

Turning into parking lot, power steering abruptly ceased, I had to muscle car out of way of another car, narrowly escaping accident.lights lit up, power steering failure, terrain management failure.

- Verona, NJ, USA

Jun 102012

Explorer 6-cyl

The vehicle's computer system came up with a warning that said power steering assist fault. Then the traction control light came on. I lost full control of the steering at the time of driving. The steering completely locked up. I turned on my hazards to signal other cars to go around me. At that time, I had to completely shut down the vehicle and restart it twice before it reset the system and allowed me to control the steering again. This was very scary. It happened again, same scenario. I took it into the dealership and they didn't know how to fix it so they tried resetting the system with a complete master reset. Since then, it has happened again. The third time I was actually turning in a turn lane and could not steer straight. Luckily there were not any cars behind me. This is very serious and needs to be addressed. They should not be sending people back out in these cars. I have notified the dealership as well as filed a report with Ford Motor Company.

- Lambertville, MI, USA