CarComplaints.com Notes: The NHTSA's complaint data shows potentially scary power steering problems with the 2011 Ford Explorer.

The NHTSA complaints are pretty serious - owners report the power steering cuts out while driving. The NHTSA opened an investigation in June 2012 but hasn't reached a decision about a recall yet. In the meantime, buyers beware.

It's too bad because the 2009 & 2010 Ford Explorer are solid, trouble-free model years.

2011 Ford Explorer steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Explorer:

2011 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 15 of 16)

Jul 152012

Explorer

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the power steering failed and as a result, became very hard to steer. The contact mentioned that the traction warning and the power steering warning lamps were illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who was not able to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 6,000.

- Byram , MS, USA

Jul 082012

Explorer 6-cyl

Traveling at approximately 40 mph when multiple warnings occurred. "terrain management system fault", "power steering assist fault", and "service advance trac" power steering was not working. Upon stopping and restarting vehicle power steering started working again. This happened 2 more times in the next 4 days. Fortunately I was traveling in a straight line each time and was able to stop and restart the vehicle and the power steering started working again. Same thing happened on the fifth day and I was not able to get the power steering working again. Car was taken to the dealership the next day where I was told that this was an ongoing problem and that the necessary parts are in short supply. It would be 6 to 8 weeks before they could get the parts.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jul 062012

Explorer 6-cyl

Driving on highway at highway speeds when the alerts for failure of the electronic stability control came on. We then realized that the power steering had failed and had difficulty steering the vehicle. Managed to get the vehicle off at an exit. Towed to dealer. Dealer not clear as to what happened and part to repair is on back order from Ford. Internet research demonstrated this is a common problem with 2011 Ford Explorer.

- Akton, OH, USA

Jun 292012

Explorer 4WD

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, there was a loss of power steering with the warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road. The engine was turned off and upon restarting, the vehicle resumed normally. The failure occurred three times. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. There was currently an open investigation under NHTSA action number PE12017 (steering:electric power assist system). The approximate failure mileage was 17,500. Updated 7/31/12 on July 12, 2012, the consumer took the vehicle to the dealer, due to the fact the vehicle was driven approximately 10 miles before the vehicle could be turned off and re-started. A code was detected in the PCM. From that code, it was determined the vehicle needed a rack and pinion. The consumer was informed there were no parts available. Updated 08/01/12

- Nokesville, VA, USA

Jun 182012

Explorer

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while attempting to make a left turn, the vehicle instead turned right, almost causing the driver to lose control. The contact mentioned that the terrain warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the steering column was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 11,000 and the current mileage was 11,200.

- Bohemia, NY, USA

Jul 102012

Explorer

As the vehicle was being driven home from work the power steering went out making it very difficult to control the vehicle. A warning light also appeared on the dashboard indicating that the power steering wasn't functioning properly. The vehicle was safely pulled over to the side of the road and the ignition was turned off. After a few moments the vehicle was restarted and the power steering seemed to be functioning properly and that specific warning message disappeared from the dash. However, upon restart, additional dashboard warning lights indicating that there was a problem with the traction control appeared.

- Chesterbrook, PA, USA

Jul 102012

Explorer 6-cyl

While parked with the vehicle running, the steering assist fault light came on and the steering locked up. I was not able to turn the wheel. I restarted the engine and it worked fine. I am concerned that this will happen while I am driving.

- Stephenville, TX, USA

Jul 092012

Explorer

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph the power steering failed. The contact was able to control the vehicle by exiting to the shoulder. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed the failure and stated that there was a national shortage on the component for the vehicle to be repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure and current mileage was 37,000.

- West Milford, NJ, USA

Jun 232012

Explorer

When the vehicle was started, the power steering was not functioning. The dash message center showed a power steering assist fault. This had happened a couple of times in the past but turning the vehicle off and then back on solved the problem on prior occasions. This time the power steering continued to fail after multiple times of turning the vehicle off and back on. This malfunction made the vehicle very difficult to steer and maneuver.

- Mars Hill, NC, USA

Apr 042012

Explorer 6-cyl

I was starting to back out of a parking lot and the stabilitrac lights came on. The steering got tight and there was little movement to turn the wheel right or left. I pulled a few feet back in the parking stall, turned the car off, and restarted it again. Everything seemed fine for a mile or so and the lights came back on. I could barely turn the wheel. I got a tow to the dealership. They had to order and replace the steering pump. This happened a second time three days ago, on 7/2/12. The dealership had to again replace the steering pump. I have no confidence that this will not happen again. This second time I had my two 7-year-olds in the car and was traveling about 40mph down a major street. The same lights came on and the steering wheel tightened. I could barely turn the wheel. Luckily I was close to home, but still had to make 5 turns. I was turning the steering wheel so hard that I felt like I was going to break it. It took all my arm strength to make the turns. I would turn the signal on and it would blink once and go off also. It is scary when it happens and as mentioned, I have no faith that it won't happen again. And this vehicle is just now a year old.

- Fountain Valley, CA, USA

Jun 302012

Explorer 6-cyl

Unfortunately, for such a great truck, the power steering has failed three times on my vehicle which has only just over 14K miles on it. It occurred the first time around the 11K mile point in which the power steering failed for no reason going ~40mph. The dashboard displayed a message stating "power steering assist fault." This is the same message that was displayed on all three occasions. Upon turning the truck off and back on, everything was back to normal. The fault occurred again at 13837 miles (I have a picture) and again just today at around 14100. After the initial fault, I took the truck to the local Ford dealer who advised that there was nothing they could do to assist as the onboard computer does not 'document the issue'. I was advised to monitor the situation and if it happens again to leave the car running and contact the dealership who will then tow the truck to its location. Easier said than done when you are in the middle of a major three lane road in the DC suburbs. It's most convenient to wrestle the truck to the next traffic light and restart which resolves the issue. I am obviously very frustrated with it - I bought the truck in late July 2011 for $48,000 (sticker price). So far I have not had any toddlers in the car during these incidents but it is just a matter of time. Hoping for some guidance and good customer service from Ford.

- North Bethesda, MD, USA

May 252012

Explorer 6-cyl

Loss of power steering at slow speeds (multiple times). "power steering assist fault" light on dashboard. Power steering returns after turning off and restarting car.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

May 252012

Explorer 6-cyl

I was driving down the interstate, getting ready to exit. I heard a beep, indicating a warning on the instrument panel. A warning appeared stating 'power steering assist disabled.'. the power steering no longer worked. I took my foot off the accelerator and made it over to the side of the road. I turned the car off, waited several minutes, and started car again. Problem resolved.

- Chapin, SC, USA

Apr 202012

Explorer 6-cyl

There were actually 4 incidents; the first one I was backing into a parking spot and the power steering quit working. I turned off the engine, started it again and was able to park. The next day I was waiting in traffic & it died, the steering wheel wouldn't work; we then took the car into the dealer & he supposedly fixed it. We told them that a message flashed "power steering assault". each incident, that message appeared. The third time I was driving and the power steering went out, then the car wouldn't start again & had to have it towed into the dealer. They supposedly 'fixed' it again. Then we were on a trip, 600 miles from home on the interstate and the power steering quit working. We pulled over, stopped. It then started again and we finished our trip. Then took it back to the dealer where he did order a new part. We got the car back last week on Wednesday, June 27, 2012, and today is July 1, 2012. They replaced the steering gear assembly.

- Hot Springs Village, AR, USA

May 172012

Explorer

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that the power steering randomly failed. In addition, the power steering fault light illuminated on the instrument panel followed by the illumination of the service advance track warning light. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the dealer could not determine what was causing the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was unknown, but the current mileage was 20,000. Updated 08-07-12

- Cannonsburg, PA, USA

Jun 222012

Explorer

Power steering failed while driving. Traction assist control also failed at the same time. Shutting the engine off and restarting brought the power steering back but not the traction control. The traction control began functioning again after the truck sat for about 8 hours.

- Greenwood, WI, USA

Jun 072012

Explorer 6-cyl

I was in the middle of a left hand turn when the power steering went out at approx 10-15 mph - the fault code appeared & alarm sounded-I had to "muscle" the steering wheel to complete my turn while nearly going over the curb into a business. My first reaction was that the engine had stalled but when the fault showed again & alarm sounded this time it was showing that the terrain management system had failed. As it was a 2-3 mile straight road to my Ford dealer & I drove there. After arriving at the dealer I shut off the engine, reported what happened. The service advisor started the vehicle & the power steering had reset. They put the vehicle on the diagnostic unit & it showed a steering gear & steering gear module/communication sensor(?) needed replacement. It was ordered & installed on 6/18/12 & has not failed sense then. I mentioned an injury - it was to my right shoulder as I have a total shoulder implant. I hurt it "muscling" the steering wheel to straightening the vehicle out.

- Carleton, MI, USA

Jun 242012

Explorer 6-cyl

Started vehicle and received terrain management warning, power steering fault and traction control fault. Vehicle electronic power steering not working and terrain management system also disabled. Will have to drive to dealership without power steering. Shut off vehicle multiple times and restarted. Same warnings and result.

- Martinsburg, WV, USA

Jun 072012

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

Warning light for terrain management come on. Then power steering fault light came on. In a split second I realized I had no control over the vehicle. I hit the brakes and came to a stop taking all my strength to turn the wheel as hard as I could to get safely off the highway. Very dangerous situation if I would have been on a curve or interstate.

- Grottoes, VA, USA

Jun 232012

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

I was slowing down to make a right turn into a strip mall and the wheel didnt turn at all until I put both hands on the wheel and fought the wheel with both arms to turn. A message on my lcd screen said power steering failure. I had to turn the truck off and back on and the steering was fine, I thought. About 20 miles later the truck did the same failure again. I turned the truck off and back on. It just had a cooling fan tsb performed at Ford yesterday, dealer says that has nothing to do with this, but this Explorer is one big computer so im not too sure since they told me a re-program was done for the fans. Please investigate this as this is will cause a huge accident at some point for some Explorer owner. I am taking this back to the dealer Monday for a loaner.

- West Milford, NJ, USA