CarComplaints.com Notes: The NHTSA's complaint data shows potentially scary power steering problems with the 2011 Ford Explorer.

The NHTSA complaints are pretty serious - owners report the power steering cuts out while driving. The NHTSA opened an investigation in June 2012 but hasn't reached a decision about a recall yet. In the meantime, buyers beware.

It's too bad because the 2009 & 2010 Ford Explorer are solid, trouble-free model years.

2011 Ford Explorer steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Explorer:

2011 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 7 of 16)

Sep 082013

Explorer 6-cyl

I was with my family on trip driving 80 mph on the freeway when the power steering went out! there was no indication on the instrument cluster that the power steering failed so I was not prepared for this. We did run off the road and onto the shoulder and fished tail out of control. This was frightening for my family. I was ready to pass some slower vehicles when this happen and had to move quick but the power steering was out. We lost control and ended up on the shoulder. I managed to drive the car home not without sweating by struggling with the steering wheel from 3 hours away. Once home, I looked this particular problem on the internet and found that there is a lot of complaints of this same problem. I also found that Ford does not acknowledge this!!!! I called Ford customer support the next day and I was informed that this was the first time they heard of this. Hopefully no one gets hurt for Ford to realize this is a defect in their vehicles! there needs to be a recall on this!

- Saint Michaels, AZ, USA

Aug 062013

Explorer 6-cyl

While driving in town, traction control lights came on and vehicle lost all power steering. The steering rack assembly had to be replaced.

- Terre Haute, IN, USA

Nov 232011

Explorer 6-cyl

While driving, power steering assist abruptly fails, as does advance trac stability control. The vehicle becomes much harder to control. If the car is in a turn when the steering fails, the steering wheel lurches and tries to re-aim the vehicle straight ahead, disrupting the turn. Dashboard warnings confirm the steering and advance trac failures. Also, the turn signal sustain fails, so using the turn signal requires constant pressure on the signal arm. On average, this problem has recurred every 2000 miles, at any speed. Turning the car off and restarting "fixes" the problem temporarily until the next failure. Two trips to the dealer for examinations have resulted in no answers - both times the results of leaving the car for several days have been shrugged shoulders and "we couldn't duplicate the problem, and there is no trouble code. It worked fine for us." As is nothing ever was wrong with the car, and even if there were something wrong, there is no way to repair it! how the NHTSA and Ford Motor Company can allow these vehicles to roam our highways with no recall, or even a technical service bulletin, knowing there is a chance the drivers may lose control and crash, as some already have, is a crime against vehicle safety and against the very mission statement of the NHTSA. I will be copying this complaint to my elected representative in the United States congress, who in the past has proven to be far more interested in my safety than Ford or the NHTSA.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Aug 222013

Explorer

Was in park in a fast food drive through and had the vehicle in park and when I put it in drive and accelerated I immediately got an error power steering assist failure and the power steering was gone and very hard to turn the wheel. Luckily it was a straight drive through. I turned off the engine and restarted and the error cleared and I was able to steer again. This is the second time this has occurred with a similar scenario where the steering failed after switching to drive from park. I am not positive of the date of the first time as I did not write it down and thought it was a one time fluke but it was approximately in Feb, 2013. Hearing about others where this has happened while driving at speed has given me great concerns now.

- Carson City, NV, USA

Aug 272013

Explorer 6-cyl

When turning right into my work parking lot yesterday morning I received the power steering assist fault error and service advance trac error with loss of power steering. This is the second time this has happened with the first time in June driving on a highway. The warning message (audible and visual warning) come on at the same time the power steering is lost so there is no warning, it just happens and you have to hopefully be at a safe distance between another vehicle or object so you will not cause an accident. This is a known issue with Ford and they do not consider it a safety problem, however, I do not feel safe driving this vehicle anymore not knowing when it could happen again and if I will be able to steer it safely with another sudden loss of power steering. This part should be recalled.

- Bay City, MI, USA

Aug 232013

Explorer 6-cyl

Driving 65 mph on a highway when I suddenly lost the ability to steer my vehicle. I was fortunate enough to be able to maneuver the vehicle onto a shoulder, but this is certainly defect and must be recalled before someone is injured.

- West Babylon , NY, USA

Aug 262013

• 4,545,413 miles

While driving to work the following warnings came up. 1. power steering fault 2. service advancetrac system car became very difficult to steer, almost resulting in a major car accident as I was approaching a very tight turn on I75. Upon doing some research it appears this issue is way to common, and extremely dangerous.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Aug 222013

Explorer

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning and the steering wheel became hard to turn. The power steering assist light illuminated after the failure occurred. The contact shut off the vehicle for several moments before proceeded to the dealer. The dealer performed a diagnostic and advised that the steering wheel electrical box was defective. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure and current mileage was 38,000.

- Coleraine, MN, USA

Aug 212013

Explorer

I own a 2011 Ford Explorer with approximately 20K miles. "power assist fault warning" code has come on a handful of times for about a year. I never thought to look into it because it happened when I first started the truck and was not driving. After restarting the truck it would go away and wouldn't come back for a couple of months. Unfortunately its happening more and more often. Earlier this week I was making a left hand turn when it happened again, this time right as I was making a turn. I nearly went into a ditch. I immediately took it to the dealership who did not know the cause and can only replace the powersteering rack. I hope this fixes the problem but I just cannot trust that my wife and 6 month old son will be safe in this car anymore. Will be trading in this truck soon. Its a shame because I really like it.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 202013

Explorer 6-cyl

I started my car and as I was backing out of my driveway 2 warnings came up: Power steering assist failure and service advance trac. At which point I lost my power steering. I turned the car off and on again and the warnings went away. I drive to work fine but I leave for my lunch break and get the same warnings and no power steering. I turn off and on several times even going back in to work to let it sit a while. Try again later...same thing...no power steering. I'm stuck at work till my husband can come and get me. I've noticed that there have been numerous complaints on this same thing happening to other people and I wonder why Ford has not recalled it yet. It really makes me mad that I may have to pay $1200-$1500 to get this fixed (will it even really be fixed?) for a car that is still so new.

- Waco, TX, USA

Aug 122013

Explorer 6-cyl

Has happened multiple times, steering stops working and car has to be turned off and back on to correct problem. On a trip with family on curvy road to lake Tahoe it happened and we almost collided with traffic. The other cars manuvered away from us we hit the embankment no damage or injuries but my wife will not drive the car now.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Aug 122013

Explorer 6-cyl

While driving down the highway, there was a notification on the info center that there was an issue with the power steering. At that point I lost power steering in the vehicle and then traction control. This issue has occurred 4 times in the last month and we have already taken it to the dealership and they were unable to find out what the issue was since it is not keeping records in the computer of these issues.

- Wooldridge, MO, USA

Jul 302013

Explorer

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Explorer. The contact stated while driving 65 mph, the power steering failed on the vehicle. The contact stated he had to manually steer the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for repair and the component was reset. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was about 38,000.

- Hallettsville, TN, USA

Aug 092013

Explorer

Why have there been no recalls on the loss of power steering"?" I'm reading all of the same complaints from other 2011 Ford Explorer owners and am shocked!!!!!

- Batavia , OH, USA

Jun 072013

Explorer 6-cyl

In the past few months I have had a problem with the steering electric power assist system. The first two happened while parking, the third happen while driving on a local street and the fourth happened on 8/3/13 on I95 on my way to my son philip's 4th birthday party. I was in the left lane when the error message on my dash came up I have been driving for approx 15 minutes on I95 North going at 60 mph. I was in the left lane my steering locked up I was unable to turn, I was so scared I managed to move to right lane with help from my husband where we pulled over. We turned the car off and waited few minutes then turned it on, the message power steering assist failure came up, I pressed ok then the steering went back to normal. On 8/5/13 I brought my Explorer to smith carnins in yonkers to get looked at and as of 8/9/13 they have not returned my vehicle and state that they can reproduce the error and that the computer shows no error codes. I find this to be very upsetting. I have two boys who I drive in my vehicle everyday. I fear for the safety of them and myself. What do I do? please help us.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Aug 072013

Explorer 6-cyl

I got a power steering assist failure light, and a terrain management fault light. I had extremely limited steering ability. I drove straight to the dealership and left the car running so they could not say they were unable to duplicate the problem. I was very close to a crash and had difficulty getting out of the high speed lane to pull over.

- Brooklyn, CT, USA

Aug 082013

Explorer 6-cyl

While driving home from work in pittsburgh, pa I experienced a failure in my 2011 Ford Explorer's power steering. Apparently, the newly designed power system shut down causing a manual override for manual steering 'only'. again, very difficult to steer at a high rate of speed. I am a pa state trooper and drive as a profession. I personally struggled to keep my vehicle on the roadway and was very fortunate to safely bringmy vehicle to a stop. I cannot stress how unsafe and dangerous this defect and/or problem is. I am calling. My Ford dealership tomorrow for suggestions. Again, I have investigated numerous crashes and fatalities in my career and expect this problem to be reviewed at the highest level for safety.

- West Grove, PA, USA

Aug 062013

Explorer

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the power steering and traction control warning lamps illuminated as both components failed. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 58,000.

- Gleason , TN, USA

Aug 052013

Explorer 6-cyl

This happened to us 2 times in 2 weeks. Power steering failure light came on along with the auto trac light. At this point we lost power steering. We were on the highway and we were close to a walmart so we stopped and let the car sit and we went into walmart.when we came out the light was off and the power steering was fine. Monday I was backing out of my garage and the lights went on again and no power steering. I was able to pull the car back into the garage and there it sits. I cant drive it as it is to hard for me to turn the wheel. We are taking it into the dealer Friday and I called them and they have no recalls for the car and said they cant find the information I found about the power steering that was reported in 2012. I am just glad my husband was driving the first time. We have tried the car since Monday and still no power steering.

- Russellville, AR, USA

Aug 042013

Explorer 6-cyl

I was traveling at 40 mph on a busy city street when all of the sudden I heard a warning bing sound and saw the power steering fault and all terrain management failure warnings on my instrument panel. Lost total ability to steer the vehicle and had to put on emergency lights, stop on side of the road, turn the vehicle off and on (hoping that it would reset and resolve the issue) and doing this cleared the warnings and I was able to steer again. However, two days later the problem happened again after starting the vehicle in a parking lot and before starting to back out of the parking space. Once again turning the vehicle off and on again reset the warning and regained steering ability again.

- Madison Heights, MI, USA