3.4

2012 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Explorer:

2012 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Nov 022014

Explorer

I was driving at 55 miles per hour and the molding from around the right side windshield flew off after driving another 10-15 miles the left hand molding on the windshield also blew off this could have been trouble for any one behind me or to the side of me.

- Linden, NJ, USA

Jul 032014

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving on RT44 in MA when I noticed oncoming drivers yelling at me. I thought I was doing something wrong and when I came to a stop light, the driver in front of me got out of his car and yelled that my 2012 Ford explored had flames coming from the bottom of the vehicle. I immediately evacuated the car with my wife and children and my car was indeed on fire. I happened to have a fire extinguisher with me and was able to put out the fire. I was in front of a Ford dealer when this happened and they came out to inspect the car and I was told the heat shield was ignited from touching the exhaust. They removed the plate and you can see the burnt damage (I have pics). This situation could have turned fatal and they said they will put a new one on. This should not be able to catch fire and if it wasn't for other drivers I don't know how this could of ended. My wife and 3 year old son are now terrified to ride in the Explorer. This needs to be investigated immediately.

- Attleboro, MA, USA