3.6

2012 Ford Explorer miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Explorer:

2012 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 202016

Explorer

Strong exhaust smell inside cabin when accelerating. Vehicle had about 65000 miles. My speed was from 0mph to 65 mph.

- Canyon Lake, TX, USA

Oct 012015

Explorer

Strong exhaust (burning oil smell) coming into cabin under medium to high acceleration through ventilation ( ac on). The smell permeates the car and burns your nostrils. I could smell it for quite some time even after existing the vehicle (as the smell remains in my nose). Even felt a bit lightheaded after existing the vehicle. I have had passengers notice this smell on several occasions also.

- Brighton, MI, USA

Jun 202016

Explorer

For about the last year, I would smell something burning inside my vehicle when entering the freeway. I was never able to identify the source of the smell, even after repeatedly stopping to sniff the engine compartment and around the tires and exhaust. I could not detect the smell outside of the car, nor did I find any evidence of anything burning (no smoke, charred areas, stuck brakes, melted rubber, etc). There didn't appear to be any pattern, as I would smell something burning at different points in my commute, with the only time I consistently experienced it being merging onto the freeway. On June 20, 2016 at 1:38 pm central time, I sent my husband the following text: "is the fire extinguisher still in the car?" due to the overpowering smell of smoke in the passenger compartment shortly after getting on the freeway. I rolled down the windows and exited the freeway, stopping at the far end of a parking lot. There was no smoke nor odor emanating from the exterior of the vehicle. Due to the heat, we drive with the air recirculating most of the year. Much of our driving is in the city, with light acceleration. Typically, the only time we rapidly accelerate is when entering the freeway. On this occasion, I accelerated more than normal due to a semi's position in the right lane. At times, my 7 year old has complained about not being able to breathe with the windows rolled up.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Sep 202011

Explorer

Exhaust leaking into passenger cabin on acceleration, normal highway speed and when A/C is on. Strong smell of exhaust daily. Purchased battery powered co detector and it has gone off several times in the cabin of the vehicle. We have taken the car to the Ford dealer in cumming, ga several times, but each time have been told there are no issues. It is my daily driver and I have been diagnosed with several health problems since purchasing this car. My husband suffers headaches when he drives it. We noticed the problem a few days after the purchase of the 2012 model in September of 2011. We have still not been able to get a resolution.

- Dawsonville, GA, USA

Jul 302016

Explorer

Exhaust is getting into the cabin of the car through the A/C. on several occasions, including 7/30, I will start the car and immediately there are fumes coming from the A/C. while driving on 7/30 we experienced this smell and experienced headaches while driving. Also, the smell is overpowering when standing outside of the running vehicle. More than any other car I have owned.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Jul 112016

Explorer

Driving at 60 mph orange light of death came on and completely lost power steering and speed. Car entered a limp home mode I let it come to a stop on side of road and it was shaking. I restarted and drove on to work, it worked fine.. luckily noone was around me..this is extremely dangerous for me and my kids. This is 3rd time it happened... reading posts its definitely the electronic throttle body that is cheaply made..the Fusion, escape, etc have had an recall for this...but not the Explorer..please pray for my family.

- Pascagoula, MS, USA

May 012016

Explorer

When excelerating on open road smelling fumes coming through air condition vents, ac on! more rpms than slow speed!

- Harrisville, WV, USA

Dec 152014

Explorer

Exhaust fumes in cab upon excelleration, been to dealer multiple times, still have problem. Have bought carbon monoxide tester to alarm us if level gets to high. Ford seems to think all's well. Not!!!!!!!!!!!! 2012 Ford Explorer.

- Crowville, LA, USA

Jun 012016

Explorer

When accelerating to gain access to a highway or just speeding up on a local street, there is a gas or burnt oil smell that permeates the cabin of the vehicle. This happens every time I accelerate, every day.

- Trenton, NJ, USA

Apr 252015

Explorer

Smell of exhaust gas inside the vehicle while in motion or acceleration.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jan 102012

Explorer

Soy de panama Y tengo el mismo problema que dice los otros propietario, ya me realizaron dos cambio Y aun asi el olor ES fuerte. Tengo tambien amigos que tiene lo mismo problema desde que la compro

- David, FL, USA

Apr 012015

Explorer

Exhaust smell entering cabin during mild acceleration, many times, easily repeatable. Dealer instructed me to not to complete the most recent up to date tsb, as it was not guaranteed to work in 2015. So we wait to see if there is a better repair.

- Wellington, FL, USA

Oct 142015

Explorer

Exhaust odors in the occupant compartment and oil in the air filter

- Manadan, ND, USA

Jun 142016

Explorer

I own a 2012 Ford Explorer XLT ecoboost was functioning fine till one day driving my family back from the airport my check engine light came on and began to flash. Then all of a sudden the car SUV began to shake horribly and would not in acceleration. After having the Explorer towed to the Ford dealer it was determined that the ecoboost system failed.

- Apo, AE, USA

Oct 052015

Explorer

While driving to work, exhaust fumes in my car nearly put me to sleep. I took it to my Ford dealership to find the problem, and learned that Ford has a service bulletin to correct this issue, so they have been aware of this problem. This should have been a safety related recall, but instead I must pay $885 to repair this known safety issue.

- Snellville, GA, USA

Sep 082015

Explorer

Burning smell under acceleration.

- Bellingham, MA, USA

Oct 162014

Explorer

I was driving my 2012 Ford Explorer at a reduced speed, approaching an unprotected left turn on green when my car suddenly jerked and sputtered and lost speed triggering the wrench icon to light up on my panel. I was applying gas to complete the intersection with no acceleration. I crawled through the intersection as my car continued to lose power and idle loudly and sputter. I was barely able to get off the road and had this been a busier time of the morning could have been in a side impact crash. The service center cleaned the throttle body and the problem appeared to be solved until almost a year later 9/25/2015, as I had just shifted from reverse to drive and as I accelerated and began driving, my car suddenly sputtered and went into the same stall described above. I applied gas and tried to accelerate with no success. The wrench light came on again. I was told to turn it off and then back on which allowed me to drive it with caution, to the service center. After diagnosis at my local service center, it was determined that the electronic throttle body is worn out and needs replaced. My vehicle isn't even 5 years old. This is very perplexing. The incidents are unsettling and should it happen on a busy roadway or while accelerating to make turns or pass a person is at a great risk of being injured or killed.

- Kathleen, GA, USA

Aug 122015

Explorer

Paint on hood is blistering - Ford knows about this issue and issued a tsb in 2004 to fix this issue in 2004 why are we still having this issue on a 2012 vehicle - dealer says Ford hq denied repair to hood paint since vehicle is out of 3 year 36,000 mile warranty - why is paint corroding on 3+ year old $34,000 vehicle? Ford should take care of this issue since it is known and devalues the vehicle by many $K.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Jan 172014

Explorer

We our purchased this vehicle from a local Ford dealer. Overall we loved the vehicle until we realized this SUV was not 4 wheel or all wheel it was just a regular vehicle. It has 20" inch wheels and we cannot find all season tires to fit this vehicle. It was the scariest winter of our lives!! we take small children to and from school(mennonite) and also have two mentally challenged folks who live with us and have to Transport them to dr's appt from time to time. Why on earth would a vehicle like this be ordered to be sold in this region equipped with the tires it had on it. Its extremely dangerous in winter conditions. We're in our late 60's. and had to literally push this vehicle out of our driveway in nothing but a dusting of snow!!! any tire dealer we tried to get tires from were in total disbelief that its an SUV type vehicle with no extra drive capabilities and they cannot find tires for the 20" rims.

- Geneva, NY, USA

Jul 202015

Explorer

Power cut off. (golden wrench of I dont know what's wrong came on) on 4 lane had to pull over to shoulder of road. Cut off engine, restart, no light drove to Ford shop Monday and left car. Shop to check out and get back with me. Friday had to call and see if any news of whats wrong. Told after 3 hr runaround, needs battery and throttle body $ $900 +- out of warranty consumer satisfaction program 13N03

- Converse, LA, USA