2012 Ford Explorer steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Explorer:

2012 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 6 of 6)

Apr 022012

While changing lanes on the 60 West freeway I attempted to change lanes and vehicle power steering shut down. I was in the middle of my lane change and was nearly struck by a trailing diesel truck. I was only able to move steering wheel one inch to the right and one inch to the left. I pulled off highway based on my advanced driving skills as a law enforcement officer. This vehicle is my assigned work vehicle. Several faults to include hill fault, traction fault flashed on the dashboard. I turned the vehicle off and on and the power steering worked. I immediately notified my workplace. A coworker followed me to the fritts Ford in riverside, ca. I told them about the safety issue. Fritts Ford tested my vehicle for two days. They said the error could not be repeated but my vehicle had numerous faults recorded with the drivetrain, steering, hill, traction control. They said it was an electrical issue. There is a serious issue with this model. This is the first time it happened but it nearly cost me my life. I fear similar incidents will cause fatalities with unskilled civilian drivers.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Jan 062012

Explorer 6-cyl

I stopped at a stop sign and took a left hand turn as I proceeded down a hill. My steering wheel wouldn't turn, like the wheel locked up, and the brakes were hard to push, not slowing me down. The Explorer went off of the road striking a concrete pole. It destroyed the entire right front end, and destroyed the pole. The dealer said that they could fix the problem with the steering, and the brakes, but they are not responsible for the damage. They said that it's not Ford's fault for the damage.

- Orting, WA, USA