2012 Ford Explorer wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Explorer:

2012 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Nov 292014

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

We have 74000 miles on our 2012 Ford Explorer. I was doing the 6000 mile service, change oil and filter, rotate tires, check fluids, brake inspection, and do inspect other areas. I was in the process torqueing the lug nuts after the tire rotation. I use a craftsman torque 1/2" drive ratchet for this. On the driver side front and rear wheel 1 out of the 5 wheel studs would not torque too the 100 ft. Pounds. The studs on each wheel stretch and are ready to break. Why would Ford use inferior medal in something so important. We recently owned a 2001 Dodge durango and bought it new. We had over 200,000 miles on this vehicle and I never had this problem. And to replace these Ford didn't allow enough room. You have to remove the wheel hub and bearing. Which I tried after removing the 4 bolts and axle nut. It would not come out. I believe it's because of the 2 different medals. The aluminum housing and the steel bearing hub was find when it's new but give time in the elements and corrosion sets in. I have no other choice but take it back to Ford dealer for the repairs. I don't trust the other wheel studs and want all replace for safety concerns. Please help on this problem. I believe the medal is to soft for wheel studs. Thank you.

- Zanesville, OH, USA