2013 Ford Explorer engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Explorer:

2013 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jul 052016

Explorer

Bought a used Ford explore XLT with 32K miles. As I have been driving the SUV I am noticing that whenever I fully press down on the gas peddle to increase my acceleration whether I am merging onto the freeway, changing lanes or scaling a hill, the cabin is filled with a strong emissions odor. Which worries me because I normally have children in the vehicle. As I let up on the gas peddle the odor dissipates. I have noticed this odor when I have my max A/C function on which is using recirculated air.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Jul 092016

Explorer

Delay or lag under heavy acceleration, was making a left onto incoming traffic from a complete stop, should have had enough time under normal circumstances to make the turn but there was about a 3 second delay before the engine really kicked in and started accelerating and ended up almost causing an accident, I've never felt so powerless to do anything other than veer out of the lane to avoid getting hit

- Chino, CA, USA

Jul 092016

Explorer

Delay or lag under heavy acceleration, was making a left onto incoming traffic, should have had enough time under normal circumstances but there was about a 3 second delay before the engine really kicked in ended up almost causing an accident, I've never felt so powerless to do anything other than veer out of the lane to avoid getting hit

- Chino, CA, USA

Nov 282015

Explorer

Car has auxiliary A/C system and cabin will fill with exhaust smell after merging into traffic. This is to say after heavy acceleration and then backing off to traffic speed you can smell exhaust in the car and when I do I open a back window to get rid of the odor. Have personally gotten headaches after longer drives and now suspect exhaust. A/C settings are in recirculation with the auxiliary system on also. Dealership had a tech ride with me and we went for a drive in the car, he did not smell the exhaust to the same degree as I did but said there was a tsb to seal the rear area of the car and the rear valance would have to be taken off. (rather long job) dealership told me it would cost about $669 and is not covered by my extended warranty or by a safety recall. This is something I think the manufacture should take care of since it is a safety issue.

- Hollywood, SC, USA

Jun 012016

Explorer

Defective throttle body. Vehicle unexpectedly shuts off. This has happened while turning in front of on coming traffic luckily the vehicle was able to coast to the shoulder. Has also happened on the freeway and in the middle of an intersection. It has happened at least a dozen times. All power to vehicle is lost. Part for vehicle is currently on national back order which indicates that there might be more problems with this part on other vehicles and not just mine.

- Lakeside, CA, USA

Jul 042016

Explorer

Vehicle emits bad odor upon hard acceleration or any other activity which puts a strain on the engine. Dealer deodorized the exhaust system with some perfume like substance which stopped the smell, but probably not the gas, for a while which soon wore off and returned. Ford does not claim to know anything about the issue. I'm concerned about carbon monoxide and have thought about putting in a sensor to record the levels. There is something wrong with the exhaust system.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 012016

Explorer

Exhaust fumes enter the cabin during hard acceleration. This is most noticeable when all windows are closed and the climate control system is on. Reproducible most easily when at 30 mph or higher when merging onto a highway. This has happened since the vehicle was purchased new. One note: This may happen at any speed however the vehicle is not put under maximum or near maximum acceleration unless merging onto a highway or passing.

- Bridgman, MI, USA

Nov 292013

Explorer

One week after I purchased my brand new Ford the transmission started going bad after a month I was told that it is defective and I had a new transmission installed my air bag sensors were changed cause they were defective my transmission was damaged again and was repaired again and the fuel was also recalled my Ford still give me a very bad smell when driving on the highway I believe it still has damage in the transmission also when I went to get my car balanced with Ford the power steering piece that was electric that cost me almost $1,000 please I can take any help I can get

- Caguas, PR, USA

Jun 252016

Explorer

Fuel throttle body error P2111 has happened 5 times in 3 days, causing great distress to me and my family. This is a potentially deadly defect and it seems many others are having the same issue. What occurs is that a wrench appears on screen with the error message "terrain management system fault" and the vehicle goes into "limp mode, " even at highway speeds, causing the accelerator pedal to become unresponsive.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Sep 012012

Explorer

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. After attempting to accelerate, the vehicle hesitated to respond. The contact heard a whining noise coming from the engine. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the engine computer was flashed, but the failure continued. While driving, an egg like odor was present inside the vehicle. The contact was informed by the dealer that the odor was due to a failed overflow jar for the radiator. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 813.

- Pompton Plains, NJ, USA

Aug 122015

Explorer

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. While driving 60 mph, the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning light illuminated. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the cause of the failure could not be diagnosed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 20,000.

- Winthrop, MA, USA

Jan 012016

Explorer

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. While driving at various speeds, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle lost power. The vehicle also hesitated before accelerating. In addition, the contact noticed an abnormal noise coming from the engine compartment and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 125,000.

- Washington, MO, USA

May 022016

Explorer

Getting exhaust fumes in the cabin of vehicle at times. Sometimes so bad that it makes you sick nauseous and headaches. Ford refuses to fix problem under there warranty. It happens at any time slow or at highway speeds when using the ac or heater it is even worse.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Apr 152016

Explorer

When driving loss of power happens. Can not accelerate! car goes into limp mode. Can happen at any time without warning. Car has 40K miles. Very dangerous if driving on the freeway. It has happened 3 times in the last week.

- Coral Springs, FL, USA

Jun 062015

Explorer

I currently own a 2013 Ford Explorer that has approximately 51K miles. Iżve noticed on more than one occasion, that during periods of sustained driving we experience odor of certain gases or fumes. These odors are not constant, but they are present within the cab even while the windows are secure. Again, the only experiences of these incidents so far are during periods of driving for 2 or more hours continuously. Iżve checked with the Ford Motor Company, and searched online and I havenżT found any recall information regarding emission problems of this nature. We, our family would appreciate if more research could be done on this matter. We personally believe that may lead to a health related illness/injury. Sincereley quenzie cole, msgt, usaf (retired) (910)850-8194 kingqcc@aol.com

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Nov 302014

Explorer

I have an Explorer 2013(32762 miles) with big odor of gases inside the cabin when I accelerate my SUV. The odor of gases is amazing inside the cabin and I afraid with that odor can cause health problem now or in the future to my family. I already went to the Ford service and they make a seal but the problem still there. (tsb 14-04-na). The government need to do something.

- Barranquitas, PR, USA

Nov 252015

Explorer

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while driving at 30 mph, the vehicle stalled and all the instrument panel lights illuminated as the wrench warning light illuminated. The contact coasted over to the side of the road and was able to restart the vehicle and it was driven to the residence. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 57,120.

- Pembroke Pine, FL, USA

Oct 292015

Explorer

Under heavy acceleration (I.e. highway on-ramp), a very strong odor (burning rubber, exhaust?) enters the cabin. This happens every time, whether the ac is on or off, recirculating or fresh air. The odor is extremely strong and lasts several minutes. I'm especially concerned for my 3 year old son who is exposed to this.

- Cumming, GA, USA

Jun 202015

Explorer

Exhaust is entering the passenger compartment through the front and rear air conditioning vents when the engine is accelerated to 3500 RPM or above. I noticed this condition while driving around town, when passing another car or accelerating to enter the freeway, but the problem was really evident on a recent driving vacation from Kansas City to seattle wa. We went through several mountainous states and it was terrible, the car was constantly accelerating above 3500 RPM to maintain speed on up hill grades, the car constantly reeked of exhaust. We had to roll the windows down to keep it aired out. I took the car to my Ford dealer when I returned from the trip, they said there is no problem. I am not going to argue with Ford over this, I have purchased a carbon monoxide meter which I keep in the car and have recorded carbon monoxide in the cabin as high as 15 ppm during acceleration. This car needs to be recalled, I have read that I am not alone, this problem exists on Ford Explorer manufactured from 2011 - 2015. Why ?

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Aug 182015

Explorer

During acceleration, there is a noticeable, exhaust smell in the cabin of the vehicle. The smell does not dissipate unless you open the windows or turn the A/C on high to clear the air.

- Austin, TX, USA