4.0

2013 Ford Explorer fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Explorer:

2013 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jun 062015

Explorer

I currently own a 2013 Ford Explorer that has approximately 51K miles. Iżve noticed on more than one occasion, that during periods of sustained driving we experience odor of certain gases or fumes. These odors are not constant, but they are present within the cab even while the windows are secure. Again, the only experiences of these incidents so far are during periods of driving for 2 or more hours continuously. Iżve checked with the Ford Motor Company, and searched online and I havenżT found any recall information regarding emission problems of this nature. We, our family would appreciate if more research could be done on this matter. We personally believe that may lead to a health related illness/injury. Sincereley quenzie cole, msgt, usaf (retired) (910)850-8194 kingqcc@aol.com

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jan 062016

Explorer

Took vehicle to Ford dealer to fix the fuel recall issue. Now, about a year later, vehicle is drawing in fuel smell from both the vehicle and everything outside the vehicle. The smell is stronger when the heat is on and also around gas stations. Now I'm being told it might be a different problem which will cost me over $800.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Dec 172015

Explorer

Vapor canister purge valve inoperative at 72,000 miles causing a miss/ hesitation when vehicle was running. Light came on and a loss of power occurred while traveling on the interstate. Immediately drove the vehicle to the dealership and this was identified as the vapor canister purge valve. Ford decided this was not an emissions component and did not warranty the repair under their 80000 mile emissions warranty even though this is clearly defined as an emissions component by the epa.

- Radford, VA, USA

Dec 012015

Explorer

My problem is that there is a strong gas smell inside car. I have small kids that I drive to school back and forth and I have no warenty.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jun 042015

Explorer

When driving the car, there is a strong odor of gasoline. It began as intermittent and now happens almost every time we drive the car.

- Rye, CO, USA

Oct 292015

Explorer

Under heavy acceleration (I.e. highway on-ramp), a very strong odor (burning rubber, exhaust?) enters the cabin. This happens every time, whether the ac is on or off, recirculating or fresh air. The odor is extremely strong and lasts several minutes. I'm especially concerned for my 3 year old son who is exposed to this.

- Cumming, GA, USA

Aug 182015

Explorer

During acceleration, there is a noticeable, exhaust smell in the cabin of the vehicle. The smell does not dissipate unless you open the windows or turn the A/C on high to clear the air.

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 012014

Explorer

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, there was smoke emitting from the exhaust pipe entering the vehicle. The contact mentioned that two passengers became sick due to the smoke. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that there were seams in the frame that needed to be closed. In addition, the vents needed to be replaced and the air conditioning module needed to be reprogrammed. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that more seams needed to be closed and vents replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 14,000.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

May 012014

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

Purchased 2013 Ford Explorer with around 33K miles on it. Shortly after I had it I noticed gas odor in garage and dismissed it thinking it was lawn mower etc. Then over a short time realized the odor must be coming from car and the odor was more evident after I fill up with gas. I looked on line to find out there is a recall on leaky fuel tanks and when I called Ford was told my VIN # isn't included in the recall. But, I smell gas! the odor was so strong this morning I was scared to start it, not knowing what would happen. I've only had this vehicle 5 months now, purchased used. Today I have my car at a dealer/mechanic that confirmed the odor coming from gas tank, they will keep it overnight and check where the leak is coming from. I was told if its from "fuel pump" the manufacture warranty might cover costs if its from the "filler neck" it will not be covered. At this point I would love to get rid of this vehicle. We also had to buy a new ac only 3 months after I purchased the car...long story there too!!! costing me more $ than its worth and I will never buy a Ford again!

- Hampton, IA, USA

Mar 122014

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

My vehicle is now at aprox 38,000 miles and this happens frequently upon hard accelerations and steep inclines, the smell of sulfur, rotten egg smell, or hard boiled egg smell (exhaust) this happens even when the A/C is running on recirculate. I purchased this vehicle new and am the original owner.

- East Dublin, GA, USA

Jun 022013

Explorer

The vehicles ac system floods the interior cabin with an overwhelming exhaust smell during hard acceleration or anytime the engine exceeds 3500 RPM as in climbing a mountain road etc. Dealer has performed Ford technical bulletin however the problem was not fixed. Ford told me they are aware of the problem and to "check back" in a couple of months to see if the engineers have found a fix.

- Oviedo, FL, USA

Jun 202014

Explorer

The contact rented a 2013 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while refueling, the fuel leaked to the ground. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician stated that the fuel tank needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure and current mileage was 34,600.

- Wes Sacramento , CA, USA

May 022014

Explorer 6-cyl

The first thing I noticed was that the car felt like it was sputtering and running roughly. When I came to a stop light, it ran really rough and just died. It started back up and I was able to drive it home. Not knowing if the problem was just a fluke or not, I drove it the next day. After having gone about 8 miles, it did the same thing again. The engine runs rough and then just dies. It also happened to my husband as he left our neighborhood. It started to die on him but he put it in neutral and gave it gas. He took it to the local Lincoln Mercury (bayway) on gulf freeway in houston, tx. They kept it for almost 3 days, could not find anything wrong and one of the service managers drove it the last day and it never happened to him so problem was not found. Today as I was traveling down the gulf freeway (I-45) service road I slowed down for a light, the car sputtered and died while sitting at the light. The car was hard to start up and I was able to get it going and trying to drive it to mcree Ford where I bought it last summer. It stalled and I had to have it towed to dealership. Last week when I was driving around in it, the whole A/C system turned off and it started blowing hot air. All the A/C lights had gone out. Don't know if that was part of a problem or not.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Oct 042013

Explorer 6-cyl

When accelerating, with engine rpms rising above 3500 RPM exhaust fumes begin to enter the cabin through the ac ducts. Odor is present regardless of ventilation mode (recirculation or fresh-air). All attempts at repair, including official tsb bulletin published by the Ford Motor Company (tsb 12-12-4) and inspection by field service engineer, by Ford dealership service center personnel have failed. Here is a part of a response from Ford to my service technician on 10/10/2013 this concern is currently under investigation. When a resolution is available, the dealer will be notified with a tsb, ssm, fsa, or broadcast message." I think this problem exists in every Ford Explorer manufactured since 2011 to present but consumers either donżżT know it is happening or they donżżT know to take it to Ford. Others with the same complaint on this website: 2011-10545178, 10537052, 10485394, 2012- 10466807, 10458341, 2013 - 10548667, 10547404, 10545106, 10534074, 10531802, 10522939, 10511749, 10503135, 10497684, 10493493, 10472937, 2014 żż 10536610 (so far). One case (10521718) even had to be taken to the hospital because of the carbon monoxide. Page 206 of my owners manual states żżwarning: If you smell exhaust fumes inside your vehicle, have this checked immediately. Do not drive your vehicle if you smell exhaust fumes. Carbon monoxide is present in exhaust fumes. Take precautions to avoid its dangerous effects.ż Ford wonżżT do the right thing and buy this vehicle back from me and because I bought the car certified preowned from Ford, when it was only 6 months old and 16000 miles, I canżżT lemon law the vehicle in fl. I have a dead vehicle that I can't drive because I won't risk mine or my family's health, so I'm at my wits end.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Oct 012013

Explorer

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V227000 (fuel system) in the mail and stated the dealer informed her the parts were not available for the repairs. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Cidergrove, NJ, USA

Aug 272013

Explorer

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. The contact received recall notice NHTSA campaign number: 13V227000 (fuel system) in the mail several months ago and stated the dealer informed her the parts were not available for the repair. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Hoschton, GA, USA

Aug 142013

Explorer

TL- the contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. The contact stated when she called to make an appointment she was advised that part needed to remedy the recall was unavailable. There was no time frame available for the part. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact has not experienced any failures. The current mileage was 4,200.-

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 052013

Explorer

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that the gasoline would disappear when refueling to capacity. She also began to smell gasoline in the vehicle. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V227000 (fuel system, gasoline) and the vehicle was taken for repair however, the contact continued to smelled fuel after the repair. The manufacturer was notified and informed her that all of the recalls procedures had been performed accordingly on the vehicle. The approximate failure mileage was 5,200 and the current mileage was 5,800.

- Mount Ephraim, NJ, USA

May 312013

Explorer

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that after receiving notification of NHTSA campaign I.D. number 13V227000 (fuel system, gasoline) the contact took the vehicle to the dealer. The dealer stated that they did not have the parts needed to remedy the vehicle. The contact called the manufacturer and the manufacturer did not provide any assistance. The failure mileage was 12,000.

- Balitmore, MD, USA

Jun 042013

Explorer

I have noticed that my fuel tank is emitting strong hydrocarbon vapors due to the tank being pressurized without a fuel cap. It does not come with a fuel cap. I can see the possibility of these vapors in a closed space possibly causing a fire. I am a retired firefighter and I have seen this numerous times with gas cans left in garages with gas hot water heaters.

- Midwest City, OK, USA