2013 Ford Explorer fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Explorer:

2013 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 022016

While driving on highway at 65-70 mph I accelerated to pass another vehicle, and shortly after passing, a strong smell of exhaust fumes or gasoline entered the passenger area. This has occurred several times since purchasing the car new in 2013. I called my Ford dealer and was told that a service bulletin has been issued to fix the problem, but since my vehicle is now out of warranty I would have to pay for the fix. After checking on line, this is evidently a wide-spread problem of a safety nature (my wife has asthma) and one that is inherent in many Explorer nationally, and if not corrected at Ford's expense by a special warranty exception, then the vehicles should be repaired under a safety recall.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 032016

On Aug.3th, 2016 I was driving my Ford Explorer 2013 on a freeway going aprox. 65miles/hr. At one point a wrench light came on and the vehicles engine quit. I made sure to put my hazard lights on and slowly changed lanes to get out of the way. This was very dangerous as the freeway is under heavy construction so there not much space to pull over safely. I managed to find the "safest" spot and stopped the vehicle. I turned everything off and was about to call for help. I figured I should try and start it up and see if it will move from me instead. Once I did this, and I knew that if I gave it some gas the vehicle would go, I took it back home and left it there until I could get it to the mechanics. The mechanic we used said he's seen this quite often and its some type of sensor that gives the engine the fuel it needs to run. Unfortunately, the sensor failed. We got it fixed but Ford would not cover for this. I understand that the warranty is finished on this vehicle but there is not enough miles on it to warrant this type of fault. The vehicle is only 3 years old too! I was and still am very upset that they will not help us pay for this faulty sensor. I would like to know how to put further action on this problem as I am sure there have been many other Ford with the same problem.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Jun 012016

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that there were strong fumes emitting into the cabin of the vehicle, which caused nausea and headaches. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000.

- Graham, NC, USA

Jun 072014

Upon heavy acceleration I smell a very strong gas smell. It is so bad I have to roll down all windows and air out cabin. It makes me very dizzy to the point of having to pull off road on many occasions. It gives me a headache and at this point I am scared to drive it or have my kids in car. I am scared to pull out in traffic or accelerate very fast because of the smell and I am afraid of what it is doing to me and my family physically with the prolonged exposure. Ford says nothing is wrong when I took it to dealership. Please help.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 052016

Turn signals malfunctioned constantly. Problem allegedly caused by faulty installation of both wiring harnesses at factory. Both were replaced. Second vehicle in our fleet with this problem. Vehicle started losing acceleration; problem traced to faulty throttle body. Second vehicle in our fleet with this problem.

- Jackson, WI, USA

Jul 152016

On two separate occasions, the car stalled after de-accelerating to a stopped position and made a "clunk" sound from the transmission area. During the first event at a traffic light, a very noticeable "clunk" was heard that sounded like the transmission. The car was re-started and seemed to drive normally. To be on the safe side, we brought the car to the dealership to have it checked but they could find nothing wrong. During the second event at a stop sign, another very noticeable "clunk" was heard from the underside of the car and the car actually shifted so that it was felt by the body. After re-starting the car this time and placing it into drive, this time the car did not move when pressing down on the gas pedal. Instead, only the engine revved up. In addition, when putting the gear into the reverse or drive position, that loud "clunk" sound and the physical shifting of the vehicle also happened. Because the car would literally not go, we called for a tow-truck and took it to the Ford dealership. At the dealership, a customer care rep and a technician came outside to look at the car. When putting the car into reverse and drive, the same "clunk" and shifting of the vehicle was observed and acknowledged by both men. However, at this point the car would move forward when applying the gas. We left the car at the dealership for evaluation. When following up early the next week, ,we were informed that they had driven the car about 100 miles over the course of three trips and the car was running normally. Also, we were told that the diagnostic/evaluation of the PCM and transmission did not show anything was wrong. In my opinion, there are two problems here: #1, the stalling/transmission problem and #2, the inability to identify the problem for such a major event

- Matthews, NC, USA

Aug 012016

Exhaust smell in interior of vehicle. I typically drive with A/C or heat on (seasonally) and always use outside air (no re-circulation). Smell is more noticeable when idling at a stop light or otherwise not in motion. Have tried two service calls recently with no resolution. An additional related issue is an even stronger fuel smell in my garage. This is more of a pre-combustion smell. The dealer reported that this is normal as a result of the capless gas tank filter system. Definitely a health hazard for anyone entering the garage, and the smell gets into the house. These issues have persisted for the past 6-12 months, getting worse over time. To date, the dealer has no resolution for either issue. Please help.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Feb 052015

I smell gas in the car this has been going for a while

- Takoma, MD, USA

Jun 152016

When air conditioner auxiliary is on the smell of exhaust or fume is being smelt coming thru the air vents. Also I have been experiencing a delay in take off when I press on the gas pedal.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Dec 152015

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. While driving various speeds, an exhaust odor emitted inside the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the brakes, wheel bearing, and fuel sending unit needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, a month later, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, but the cause of the failure was undetermined. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 35,000.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Jul 042016

Vehicle emits bad odor upon hard acceleration or any other activity which puts a strain on the engine. Dealer deodorized the exhaust system with some perfume like substance which stopped the smell, but probably not the gas, for a while which soon wore off and returned. Ford does not claim to know anything about the issue. I'm concerned about carbon monoxide and have thought about putting in a sensor to record the levels. There is something wrong with the exhaust system.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 252016

Fuel throttle body error P2111 has happened 5 times in 3 days, causing great distress to me and my family. This is a potentially deadly defect and it seems many others are having the same issue. What occurs is that a wrench appears on screen with the error message "terrain management system fault" and the vehicle goes into "limp mode, " even at highway speeds, causing the accelerator pedal to become unresponsive.

- Orlando, FL, USA

May 022016

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. While driving the vehicle or when the vehicle was parked or idling, the contact noticed a strong odor of fuel inside the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 58,022.

- Grasonville, MD, USA

May 022016

Getting exhaust fumes in the cabin of vehicle at times. Sometimes so bad that it makes you sick nauseous and headaches. Ford refuses to fix problem under there warranty. It happens at any time slow or at highway speeds when using the ac or heater it is even worse.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Apr 172016

While driving approximately 40mph preparing to merge onto freeway I lost acceleration power and vehicle decelerated to 5mph nearly causing accident. After turning car off and back on it resumed normal operation. Later that day my wife experienced the same problem. We had vehicle towed to Ford dealership and after two days they were prepared to return the vehicle because the problem did not present during the test drives. After refusing to take it back until they figured it out the next day we were told that the throttle body was "bad". 2 days later the vehicle was "fixed" and returned to us. The very next morning we had the same problem with vehicle losing propulsion and decelerating rapidly. After taking it back to the the dealership we were told that the "new" throttle body that was installed was also "bad". after another 2 days we picked up our car and have not had any problems so far.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Apr 172016

My 2013 Ford Explorer V6 engine shuts off while driving down the highway or in town creating a very unsafe driving situation. Looking online there is quite a few complaints to the same that the throttle body loses electrical power and shuts down. This has happened twice in 2 days and I no longer drive it until a replacement throttle body can be found. Ford made a change to the replacements, but this should be a recall due to the dangerous situations that it causes.

- Helotes, TX, USA

Nov 012015

As reported to Ford: What is your vehicle sales or service issue?:VIN: Ifm5K8D85dga40422 2013 Ford Explorer - I recently shipped my 2013 Ford Explorer to azerbaijan where I am serving the U.S. government. I hired a driver who conveyed a problem to me regarding the power steering and sync system. After doing some online research, I became aware of the recall for power steering problems which seem to fit the symptoms related to me. I did not receive any type of notice from Ford regarding this serious condition. Also, the sync system is buggy. I was informed some time ago of a fuel system recall (I believe). The vehicle has 19,750 miles. A vehicle tire sensor fault has recently displayed. There is a Ford dealership in baku azerbaijan where I live. The Explorer is part of their product line. Please inform me what I can expect from Ford to resolve the issues disclosed here either under warranty, recall obligation, or customer care (without expense to me). Further, I would appreciate if Ford U.S. would coordinate those resolution efforts. What action has your dealer taken to address the issue":have not contacted dealer. Suspect language barriers would complicate resolution efforts. What assistance are you seeking from Ford Motor Company":coordinate all necessary repairs to be performed by the baku azerbaijan Ford dealer. Provide a loaner car while vehicle is being repaired. Be more proactive in informing customers of potentially serious defects that have resulted in recall. Are you the owner of the vehicle :yes VIN : ifm5K8D85dga40422 mileage : 19,748 where is your vehicle now : inpossession have you contacted the dealer :no dealer name :Ford baku azerbaijan

- Dulles, VA, USA

Jun 062015

I currently own a 2013 Ford Explorer that has approximately 51K miles. Iżve noticed on more than one occasion, that during periods of sustained driving we experience odor of certain gases or fumes. These odors are not constant, but they are present within the cab even while the windows are secure. Again, the only experiences of these incidents so far are during periods of driving for 2 or more hours continuously. Iżve checked with the Ford Motor Company, and searched online and I havenżT found any recall information regarding emission problems of this nature. We, our family would appreciate if more research could be done on this matter. We personally believe that may lead to a health related illness/injury. Sincereley quenzie cole, msgt, usaf (retired) (910)850-8194

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jan 062016

Took vehicle to Ford dealer to fix the fuel recall issue. Now, about a year later, vehicle is drawing in fuel smell from both the vehicle and everything outside the vehicle. The smell is stronger when the heat is on and also around gas stations. Now I'm being told it might be a different problem which will cost me over $800.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Dec 172015

Vapor canister purge valve inoperative at 72,000 miles causing a miss/ hesitation when vehicle was running. Light came on and a loss of power occurred while traveling on the interstate. Immediately drove the vehicle to the dealership and this was identified as the vapor canister purge valve. Ford decided this was not an emissions component and did not warranty the repair under their 80000 mile emissions warranty even though this is clearly defined as an emissions component by the epa.

- Radford, VA, USA