2013 Ford Explorer steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Explorer:

2013 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 252015

Explorer

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. While driving 45 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn and seized. The contact was unable to turn the vehicle in the middle of the street. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the steering rack needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 87,000.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

May 292015

Explorer

I have a Ford Explorer that was part of the 14S06 recall. Before I purchased the vehicle from a Ford dealership it was owned by enterprise rental, after they turned the car in tri county Ford shows they performed the recall on the vehicle in 2014. They said they did the software download on the eps. I have since lost steering assist on my vehicle a number of times so I did some research and found this recall on my vehicle. After calling Ford they authorized a local dealer to look at if and figure out what the problem was at no charge. The Ford dealership says that they can not connect to the steering gear and that per the recall it should be replaced. Ford is refusing to cover the recall and because they say that the recall has already been done (software download) and at the time of the recall being performed there were no dtc codes so the download should have fixed it. If it would have showed codes at the time of the software download they would have replaced the steering gear at that time. I feel that this should be covered as it part of the recall I have only owned the car for less than 3 months and this is a dangerous situation. After complaining to Ford said they would cover 1/2 of the cost of repairs. But due to this being a safety recall I feel it should be covered 100%

- Pevely, MO, USA

Jun 072015

Explorer

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. While driving approximately 75 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver and the service advance traction control and service power steering warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V286000 (steering). The failure mileage was 53,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Rapid City, SD, USA

Jun 052015

Explorer

I almost lost control of the car due to steering. The right front tire was wobbly and had no traction. The tires are in good shape. I have been having so much trouble out of the right front tire. It has been balanced and aligned 4 times, new brake pads, and rotors turned. No one can figure out what's wrong with the steering or the tire. It begins to shake uncontrollably. I have had it re-balance and each time no one can figure out why it keeps pulling to the right. I don't know if it is motor related, steering or the transmission. So frustrated. I just bought the car less than 3 months ago.

- Jackson, TN, USA

Nov 242014

Explorer

On several occasions we had noticed difficulty steering in our 2013 Ford Explorer. On Nov 18, 2014 this problem nearly caused a crash, prompting us to take it to our dealership prior to a lengthy thanksgiving trip. Our dealership went through multiple systems checks with no resolve. They contacted their representative for further instruction. The vehicle remained at the dealership from Nov 24,2014 until the dealer decided to purchase it from us March 6, 2015. We filed a complaint with Ford 12/19/14 case # cas-5717020 and the BBB 12/11/15 case # frd15122601. Ford maintained there was nothing wrong with the vehicle, yet made over 7 attempts to fix it. They further stated that we chose not to retrieve the vehicle - but each time Ford said it was fixed and we went to get it - the dealer insisted it was not safe. The dealer finally purchased it from us just to get us out of it and preserve our relationship. We are concerned that the vehicle is still in service. We were made to feel stupid regarding the complaint. And we are out several thousand dollars! seeing this most recent recall regarding a steering problem that Ford was aware of in June 2014 makes me angry and sick that the vehicle could have killed us, and is likely out there with a less experienced driver whose life and the lives of those around them are in danger!! I have all the information regarding this vehicle, and it can also be followed through the case numbers. Please help us get this car off the road!! my husband is in law enforcement, he is a chief of police, a senior instructor, specialized in speed detection and driver training, and pursuit tactics training (pit). This was purchased as a family travel vehicle, it should not require someone with specialized driver training to handle.

- Vidalia, GA, USA

Mar 202015

Explorer

Exiting from parking lot and speed of about 15 mph on a straight road, no pot holes, at about 100 ft from the parking exit, it hit an electric post. Left front suspension, fender, wheels, pillars, rocker & floor, radiator support, front lamps, hood, steering rock, cradle, transmission transfer case, front door and manny more damage. All are in left side. I checked the VIN but it is not on recall for power steering problem however I suspect power steering was the caused of accident. It is a major damaged and the insurance is not yet decided if repair or total wreck. I asked the Ford dealership to see on the diagnostic computer of the vehicle but up to now they have not yet check.

- Wallingford, CT, USA

Mar 092015

Explorer

Dash displayed service advancetrac. Traction control was disabled and stability control was disabled and indicators lit in dash. Difficult to steer due to partial loss of power steering. Dealership service department diagnosed that the steer rack unit needs to ge replaced.

- Acworth, GA, USA

Feb 022015

Explorer

2013 Ford Explorer. A recall was issued for previous Ford vehicles, regarding a steering defect. However, the consumers vehicle was not included. The consumer believed the recall should be expanded.

- Boulder, CO, USA

Jan 252015

Explorer

The power steering failed while traveling at 45 mph. I could steer manually but it would not allow me to maintain a straight line.

- Selmer, TN, USA

Nov 262014

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

While driving on a highway, my steering began to feel tighter and tighter, with the wheel harder to turn. Soon it began to require a "push" to make the movement of the wheel begin. I pulled off the highway and the dash alerts came on. One said, "service power steering now" and one indicated that the traction control function was off. The manual said I should shut off the engine and it would reset these. Instead, the steering locked entirely. No dealers were still open the night before thanksgiving, so I took the vehicle to a shop I've used. They didn't have the computer hookups necessary so I towed it again to another shop. They "cleared" the codes, and found the vehicle did not malfunction again. They alerted me to the recall, Ford #14S06 this recall included explores made between may of 2010 and February 28, 2013. My Explorer was made very soon thereafter, within days, in fact. Given that timing and the facts that indicate that my vehicle suffered the same defects the recall addresses, I feel my vehicle repair should be covered by Ford Motor Company. Ford Motor Company and the local dealer advise me that since my vehicle is not within the parameters of the recall, there is nothing they can do for me. I hereby submit my petition for an NHTSA investigation into whether Ford has met it's obligations in this matter. I hereby request the recall management division of the NHTSA to ensure that the scope of the recall [Ford #14S06] is adequate. I feel the scope fell short, in my case, by a few days, leaving my vehicle dangerously unprotected. I cannot repair this defect myself. There is no diagnosis available for me. The defect may be in the sensor, or in the power steering control module, or in the steering "rack". the local Ford dealer advises me that there are no "racks" available at this time anywhere. The NHTSA is my only hope.

- Fredericksburg,, VT, USA

Jul 122014

Explorer

The contact owned a 2013 Ford Explorer. While driving 35 mph and making a sharp left turn, the steering wheel seized. The contact lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a tree. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The contact sustained a concussion and required medical attention. The vehicle was destroyed and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 24,000.

- Winslow, AR, USA

Jan 162014

Explorer

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the power steering failed intermittently without warning. The vehicle became increasingly difficult to control. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the power steering needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 9,000 and current mileage was 9,500.

- Fullerton, CA, USA

Aug 012013

Explorer 6-cyl

Steering power support stopped without warning during a turn at lower speed. Car became almost impossible to control (turn or steer). Fault lights included stability, traction, and environmental control errors came on as the steering power support terminated. Fuse and mechanism were undamaged. Turning the car on and off did not remove the fault. Vehicle did this another 3 times, including one at high speed of 70 mph on highway in fat left lane. Had to allow for vehicle to merge across 4 lanes of interstate traffic to shoulder and eventually slow down. All components of vehicle then turn off and multiple attempts to turn off and on vehicle are required with prolonged terms of vehicle being left off.

- Danbury, CT, USA

Jan 302014

Explorer 6-cyl

Steering power support stopped without warning during a turn at lower speed. Car became almost impossible to control. Fault lights included stability, traction, and environmental control errors came on as the steering power support ended. Fuse and mechanism appear undamaged. Turning the car on and off did not remove the fault.

- Iqaluit, AK, USA

Jan 202014

Explorer 6-cyl

Police vehicle - attempting to catch up to a vehicle, power steering went out.. was unable to steer and warning light stated power steering assist failure. Dealer said they show no fault codes and gave it back to us. See hundreds of complains of this same nature on Ford forums.

- Oscoda, MI, USA

Apr 152013

Explorer

TL- the contact owns 2013 Ford Explorer. While driving 20 mph, the contact stated that the steering wheel began to malfunction while driving 20 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection, but had not been diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 400.

- Menomonee Falls, WI, USA

Dec 212013

Explorer

I went to subway to get something to eat and got back in car to leave and the steering assist fault service required light came on and steering wheel is very tight. I turned the car off and back on and it's not resetting. I have a tow truck on there way right not. I live in North Dakota and had this happened on a highway going a high rate of speed would have been very scary. This car is not even 3 months old and has under 5,000 miles on it. This is very disturbing and needs to be addressed.

- Williston, ND, USA

Dec 032013

Explorer 6-cyl

I was changing lanes from the left to the right. When I went to straighten out in the lane the electronic power steering failed, while the wheel was cut to the right. Luckily, I was able to use both my hands to force the wheel back. I found it difficult to steer the wheel and I am a 34 year old construction worker. If my wife was driving the car, she would of crashed into the person who was walking on the sidewalk.

- Middle Village, NY, USA

Aug 152013

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

I have a 2013 Explorer Sport which I purchased new from the dealer 2 months ago. On the morning of 8/15/2013 I was turning left into a parking lot after coming to a complete stop on a road, going less than 10mph. As I accelerated and turned my wheel left the power steering failed completely making it almost impossible to turn the wheel and the warning lights on the dash came on for the advancetrac and the stability control. I was able to steer the vehicle into a parking spot and put it in park. I turned the vehicle off, waited a minute or two and turned it back on without resolution of the symptoms. I looked up the warning lights in the owners manual and it said to have it serviced immediately. I had my Explorer towed to the closest Ford dealer. The dealership states that they have driven the vehicle over 100 miles in the past week and a half without those problems occurring again. I've read several articles about faulty epas systems, none from 2013 Explorer yet. The Ford engineers have told the dealership to return the vehicle to me and 'see if it happens again'. I asked the dealership to put another 200 miles or so on the vehicle to see if the problem occurs again while I seek information from Ford.

- Kailua, HI, USA

Jun 262013

Explorer 6-cyl

Driving vehicle and cross traffic system failure turns on, advancetrac system failure, stability control failure and traction control failure occur. Vehicle begins to decelerate and transmission goes from an illuminated "D" to blank. Very hard to maneuver vehicle. Vehicle struggles to gain speed afterwards. The only resolution I have found is to pull over if possible and turn on vehicle and restart. This has happened 4 times in the past two weeks.

- Weslaco, TX, USA