2013 Ford Explorer steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Explorer:

2013 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Oct 062016

Explorer

Power steering goes out while driving. 2013 Ford Explorer, 86,000 miles. My wife was driving around a curve, going about 45 miles per hour on a highway, when it first went out. The steering wheel jerked itself back to the center and my wife had to slam on the brakes and force the wheel to steer safely to the side of the road. The screen shows atc needs to be serviced. Codes shown are : C1B00-steering angle sensor U0131- lost communication with power steering module my vehicle is now unsafe to drive. There is a recall for earlier manufacture dates concerning what seems to be the same issue.

- Tarawa Terrace, NC, USA

Oct 302016

Explorer

Vehicle parked overnight. Started vehicle to leave garage. Power steering assist fault came onto screen. Steering wheel would not turn, locked up. This has occurred twice in 3 weeks. This is a known steering gear problem.

- Stuttgart, AR, USA

Oct 172016

Explorer

Power steering assist not working properly. Recall doesnt cover my vehicle with the exact same problem as the recall vehicles.

- Akron, NY, USA

Oct 232016

Explorer

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. While driving 40 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the internal components related to the rack and pinion failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V286000 (steering). The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Boston, MA, USA

Sep 112016

Explorer

While driving our 2013 Explorer on I 95 we lost power steering, warning light came on and driving became extremely difficult. We were driving the speed limit of 70 mph and reduced speed. Made it home, parked and turned off vehicle. Restarted vehicle and had total loss of steering. Steering wheel locked completely. Vehicle was towed to dealership where purchased. Steering gear assembly had to be replaced due to power steering gear has internal fault. We have been told our vehicle VIN # is not currently on the recall list.

- New Gloucester, ME, USA

Sep 092016

Explorer

Power steering went out, unable to drive vehicle anywhere. Very dangerous, could have caused a wreck.

- New Waverly, TX, USA

Sep 102016

Explorer

Check engine light came on and I lost all power steering on the car. Was able to pull over. Restarted the car and power steering came back.

- Menomonee Falls, WI, USA

Sep 052016

Explorer

The power steering assist has defaulted numerous times and locked my steering wheel up. Turning the car off and back on has resolved the matter for now, but I am afraid it will lock up while driving at a higher rate of speed. The service advance trac warning has also come up a couple of times. All 4 of the steering defects have occurred between the dates of September 1st and September 5th, 2016.

- Hahira, GA, USA

Aug 282016

Explorer

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. While driving approximately 65 mph, the power steering seized. The failure recurred. The vehicle was taken the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electric steering gear needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V286000 (steering). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 65,365. The VIN was not available.

- Long Grove, IA, USA

Aug 152016

Explorer

The service power steering warning appeared on the dashboard while towing a camper at 65mph on the nys thruway I pulled into a service area shut off the car and called the Ford dealership service dept. Where I bought the car the service rep told me that the vehicle was not safe to drive he asked me to start the car and see if the power steering still worked I did it and the power steering did not work the repair was done at no charge under my warranty with no explanation as to why it happened

- Rochester, NY, USA

Aug 082016

Explorer 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. While driving 55 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that a bolt located in the steering wheel fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 30,688. Updated 09/30/16 updated 10/04/16.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Aug 032016

Explorer

Steering fails on the highway. The service power assist and service advance trac warnings come on. The vehicle looses power steering assist and it will not reset by turning the vehicle off. The blinkers will also not work when this error happens. It has already been to the dealer to be "reprogrammed" but that fix only lasted 1 1/2 days. Vehicle is now undrivable without replacing the unit, which is under recall for 1.5 million other Ford vehicles.

- Coleman, TX, USA

Jan 212016

Explorer

Loss of power steering while driving.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 052014

Explorer

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Explorer. While driving at various speeds, the steering became very difficult to control. When the contact turned off and restarted the vehicle, the steering resumed normal operation. The dealer stated that the VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 14V286000 (steering). While driving various speeds, the windshield would vibrate and the ambient lighting would default to white on the instrument panel, which hindered the contact's visibility of all the gauges. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Miller, MO, USA

Jun 152016

Explorer

The electric power steering quit working on my car. There was a recall for my car's year model for this issue, however, Ford said it does not cover the month my car was manufactured. I have taken my car to a Ford dealership who told me they verified that it was the exact same problem that the recalled vehicles had. I then opened up a case number with Ford and after a month of waiting they said they would not be covering this defect. The car is extremely hard to steer and sometimes near impossible. I feel this is a safety concern that should be taken seriously. However, Ford does not seem to care.

- Bartlesville, OK, USA

Jul 072016

Explorer

36,000 miles on my 2013 Ford Explorer. Started up my car and went to back up and I had no power steering. My car was built after the cut off of the re-call and will be having it looked at and fixed on Monday. Ford needs to extend the re-call to later models as this problem is effecting a lot more Ford then they thought. This is out right wrong of Ford.

- Loxahatchee, FL, USA

Jun 142016

Explorer

Vehicle was parked and when I started to back up the message center displayed and flashed power assist and the steering was difficult to turn. I pulled forward into the parking space, shut the car off and restarted the vehicle. At this point the power steering retuned and I drove it to the dealership. Ford has a recall for similar 2011-2013 Explorer but the VIN code series on my Explorer does not fall under the current recall which is #14S06. I have attached a service invoice of the repairs done which are the exact repairs the recall #14S06 calls for.

- Burkburnett, TX, USA

Nov 292013

Explorer

One week after I purchased my brand new Ford the transmission started going bad after a month I was told that it is defective and I had a new transmission installed my air bag sensors were changed cause they were defective my transmission was damaged again and was repaired again and the fuel was also recalled my Ford still give me a very bad smell when driving on the highway I believe it still has damage in the transmission also when I went to get my car balanced with Ford the power steering piece that was electric that cost me almost $1,000 please I can take any help I can get

- Caguas, PR, USA

Jun 062016

Explorer

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer with 44,000 miles and sent it to the dealer. The dealer said the power steering gear box is not functioning and needs to be replaced. There is a recall on Ford Explorer's for the 2011-2013 models for the "power steering assist fault", which did come on and the power steering failed in my vehicle. I contact Ford directly and they were of no help and offered no assistance.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

May 142016

Explorer

Driving approx 45mph through town on a multi-lane roadway, steering became virtually impossible, nearly locking up. Was able to maneuver vehicle off the road without damage or injury. Vehicle was towed by towing company to nearest Ford dealership awating evaluation/repair at this time.

- Clewiston, FL, USA