2014 Ford Explorer fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Explorer:

2014 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 052014

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

On a recent vacation to the northwoods of Wisconsin, our 2014 Explorer XLT (4X4 V6) was releasing a nauseating smell into the cabin under heavy loads, high rpms, or rapid accelerations. The trip was about 6 hours of solid driving, and by the 3rd hour my wife and I had pounding headaches and felt unwell. We immediately turned off the ac and opened the windows as I was able to duplicate the smell on the open highway. We spent the remainder of the vacation with limited ac, open windows, and "cautious" driving to ensure the smell would not occur again. We were traveling with our 8 month old son and old english bulldog at the time and wanted to ensure they did not fall ill. I will be contacting my Ford dealer to address the issue.

- Lake In The Hills, IL, USA

Apr 302014

It was raining quite heavily all day and was raining when the misfire occurred. The vehicle would buck and jerk when I tried to accelerate. I had to pull over and restart the car and then finally the blinking engine went away. The engine on this car is a twin turbo 3.5L ecoboost.

- Delran, NJ, USA

Apr 132014

For a little over a month my wife and I have been smelling gasoline periodically around the car. The last time I filled up I remember checking for a leak because the smell was so strong. That same night I was working around the vehicle and heard a sound coming from under the car. It was a significant amount of gasoline draining on top of the engine exhaust pipes and my driveway. It looked like the gas tank was leaking from a plastic fitting, periodically releasing about a cup full of gasoline. We have since taken the car into the dealership and they have identified the issue as an overflow component that is defective. I wanted to write an incident report with NHTSA because this is an extremely dangerous situation that I was lucky to catch. The car is my pregnant wife's daily driver along with my daughter as a passenger, so it really freaked me out to realize what could have happened! I am concerned that this situation may occur with other 2014 Explorer and their owners not realizing the leak before a catistrophic event happens. The gas leak could easily go unnoticed, as we did not realize the leak until a month after the first warning signs (gaseline smell). After some research I found that the 2013 Explorer had a recall on the fuel pumps, which could be related to this issue.

- Fraser, MI, USA