7.4

2014 Ford Explorer fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Explorer:

2014 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 182016

Explorer

Strong and fairly constant (daily) exhaust oder entering inside of car, making me and my kids nauseous/sick. I just purchased this car from girard Ford in norwich, ct less than 2 weeks ago and complained to them less then 5 days after purchase. I brought into their service garage and they said they couldn't smell fuel. They also told me they test drove for a total of an hour and a half, but that doesn't coincide with the odometer reading from when I dropped it off. Odometer shows that they only drove for maybe 30 minutes. The fuel smell disrupts driving, daughter felt like she could vomit. This occurs every day. It just comes on at times when accelerating uphill or on regular road, once the smell is there it lingers in the car for remainder of drive.

- Ivoryton, CT, USA

Oct 152014

Explorer

Strong odor of exhaust fumes entering the cabin when accelerating. Very concerned with diver and passengers safety. This has been occurring since it was new. I took it to the dealer over a year ago and they performed a repair that did not resolve the issue. They then told me Ford was working on a fix and someone would contact me. I have yet to be contact and very concerned with constant exposure to the exhaust fumes. The need to take this seriously and give it a priority to fix this problem as I see there is a lot of people complaining of the same issue.

- Miramar, FL, USA

Sep 282016

Explorer

There is an overbearing almost intoxicating sulfur/rotten egg smell coming in the cabin of the car any time accelerating. I got this vehicle new in 2014 and it has been doing it since day one. At first I wrote it off as new car or possibly the turbo. But now after reading the thousands others with same problem I am extremely concerned for my family's well being. I have been driving my infant in this car for two years and I am very upset that I could have put her health at risk.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Sep 162016

Explorer

I have seen many complaints about the fuel valve on Ford vehicles with the capless fuel systems. I recently had a check engine light go on in my car for PO456 which I took to the dealer to have them check it out because I have an extended warranty. Turns out that the fuel vapor valve has stuck open and needs to be replaced. Sadly this is an emissions issue and not covered under my warranty. I looked up online and noticed that this happens a lot to Ford with the capless fueling system. I believe this is a major issue and they are charging $250 for a part that goes out in less than 50K miles.

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Aug 222016

Explorer

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Explorer. The vehicle was repaired according to technical service bulletins 12-12-4 and 14-0130, and NHTSA action number: PE16008 (fuel system). The contact smelled a fuel odor after the repairs. The contact was referred to the manufacturer. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN and failure mileage were unknown.

- Elkview, WV, USA

Jul 182016

Explorer

We have a 2014 Ford Explorer that has a smell inside while accelerating. We have taken it to the dealer to have the problem corrected. Our concern is that exhaust has been coming into the vehicle. We aren't sure if the current solutions in place to fix the vehicle are enough. Well knowing and our family is getting sick from this current issue we just aren't sure what we're breathing inside the vehicle is safe. The smell comes when you accelerate hard either towing or merging onto the highway or even from a red light. The smell is a sulfur smell or rotten egg smell that seems to dissipate quickly but is noticeable.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Jul 012014

Explorer

Each time after driving our Ford Explorer for a length of time with the air conditioning on, my wife and I begin to feel light headed, tired and sick. My wife is pregnant and we have severe concerns about the safety of driving our Explorer due to the health risk of carbon monoxide leaking into the cabin. We are now aware of this problem with other Explorer and are deeply concerned for our health and the health of our babies.

- San Diego, CA, USA

May 012014

Explorer

I have had a problem since I got my leased 2014 Explorer, when I hit the gas hard it would smell of exhaust fumes, at first I thought it was because it was new and would go away so I used to open the windows to let the smell out but it was quite bad so I had to pull away more slowly to avoid it or have a bad smell of fumes in the car, I would open the windows but its so hot in Florida and it lets all the A/C out, my girlfriend kept telling me there is something wrong but I kept saying it will probably go away, I worked at a Ford dealership and I asked the service department if they have had other complaints too they said there was nothing wrong, however she was right there is a problem and it has not gone away I will take it in on Monday again and have them drive in the car with me to smell the fumes too then they may be able to fix it. Ford have know about this problem for quite some time and they acted negligible in my honest opinion because they have know about this complaint why would they not inform customers who have purchased these vehicles to get them checked out for their safety and the long term effects from carbon monoxide fumes it could lead to cancer or respiratory issues and much more, there should be a recall for safety sake.

- New Port Richey, FL, USA

Oct 142015

Explorer

Nasty exhaust smell entering the cabin when merging on the interstate, driving up a long hill, or passing vehicles. This occurs when having to accelerate quickly -- high rpms for extended periods. Smell appears to come from back to front and is difficult to get rid of. At first I thought it may be other vehicle's exhaust entering the cabin, however, after driving long periods in areas with no other vehicles around the exhaust stench continues. Noted metallic taste in mouth after smelling odor vehicle.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jul 212014

Explorer

When hard acceleration occurs, such as entering a freeway or going into passing gear to pass another vehicle, there is an extreme odor - very similar to rotten egg smell. This has occurred since the vehicle was ordered and purchased new. The vehicle was returned to the dealership for this problem, but after being on a waiting list for over 4 months, we were advised that there were no problems found. This vehicle was previously driven on a daily basis, to and from work 37 miles each way - in traffic. I had continual problems with smell and taste (exactly that of the fumes in the cabin) until such time that I began working from home and no longer forced to drive this vehicle on a daily basis. This prompted my research and this complaint of the known issue. I first reported this shortly after purchase around July of 2014. I did also send a complaint letter to Ford - more to the service of the dealership - however I believe this issue was in that letter.

- Forney, TX, USA

Aug 222015

Explorer

My grandson went off the road at 70mph into some pine trees and completle severed the passagens wheel off and windshield completle destroyes roof damage and body damage and no air bags deployed. I talke to a customer who also had a 2014 Explorer that was involved in a collision and their air bags didn't deploy either.the damage to my vehicle was on the front and the side yet no airbage deployed. Something is wrong !!! its a miracle my grandson is alive I have pictures.

- Charleston , SC, USA

Sep 282013

Explorer

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Explorer. While driving at approximately 60 mph whenattempting to accelerate or going up an incline, the vehicle emitted a burning odor. The contact stated that this was a recurring failure. The vehicle was driven to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that that the fumes leaking into the vehicle might be caused by cracks in the rear of the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 150.

- Twin Falls , ID, USA

Oct 162014

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

Twice while driving (once accelerating to pull into traffic and once going up a mountain) an exhaust smell entered the cabin through the ac system and recirculating mode did not improve it. The vehicle was accelerating over 3500 rpms. I have tested this again and again and it happens every time under these conditions. I am very concerned as we just bought this vehicle a couple of months ago and have two young daughters. I will be taking it to our local dealership but based on these complaints I am not hopefull this will be resolved.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Dec 312013

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

During hard acceleration, a "smell" enters the interior of the car. The "smell" is of sulfur or rotten eggs. The smell is definitely coming from the exhaust. Ford acknowledged the problem and performed a tsb to fix. The tsb did not fix the problem, and the dealership says they have to wait for an engineer. Service manager says there is only 1 Ford engineer for all of South Texas.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Oct 312013

Explorer 6-cyl

When accelerating to pass a dangerous truck (58 mph) strong fumes comes inside the cabin, acceleration took 8 seconds, instantly we start coughing and get watery eyes, our year old baby start crying showing symptoms of distress, we tell this to sales person, which quickly told us the story that this happens with new cars.. supposedly new engines should not be highly accelerated. Naively we believe this and decide to give it a few days? day become months and problem got worst, after few months we decide to take the car in for service, unfortunately Ford from first day treat us like if we were inventing the matter, and make my wife look like if she were crazy, the worst part is that they know that car has the defect as previous generations has the same problem(fordtechnical bulletin confirm this ).we continue to follow the regular procedure and went to the dealership asking them to fix the problem, they only show they were clueless about it and after more than seven times leaving the car there they say there"?S nothing they can do about it. We contact Ford manufacturer directly, which make us go through a long process of verifying back and forward, and at the end an ??engineer?? send especially directly from Ford to the dealership tell us practically that just don?"T accelerate to avoid this !!!!.we took the car to specialist that measured co with a professional tool that show more than 140 part per million!!!!!.this is serious problem that Ford should be responsible for it, my family has been sick with flue like symptoms for a long time, my wife experienced a very long lasting cough that only start getting better after forcefully I have to get her another car as I could no longer expose my family to more of this dangers. I request to Ford to replace the car and they denied my request I believe NHTSA should step up on to this and protect the consumers, thanks

- Hialeah, FL, USA

Apr 072014

Explorer 6-cyl

Since I've owned my 2014 Ford Explorer for the past six months I get sulfur smelling exhaust fumes coming from the A/C vents when quickly accelerating even if the A/C is in recirc mode and even when the fuel tank is not full. It is definitely exhaust odors and not fuel odors.

- Austin, TX, USA

May 012014

Explorer 6-cyl

Soon after buying my 14 Ford Explorer I noticed a strong exhaust smell in the cabin. I figured it was from vehicles in front of me so ran recirculate, still smelled in some cases overwhelming exhaust fumes causing a burning sensation to my eyes, headaches, sometimes severe and nausea. This vehicle is my office as well as my transportation since I cover the mid atlantic for my job. I have been hospitalized a handful of times for debilitating headaches and nausea. I travel 25K road miles plus air travel per year for my career and often am in the vehicle for 3 plus hours. The issue has been replicated at 2 dealerships. One service director said the miles I drive, the amount of fumes he, his service manager and master tech experienced in a short 15 minute test drive, that I should not be driving this vehicle and it is likely responsible for my debilitating headaches and need for hospital visits reminding me carbon monoxide can cause unconsciousness and worse. A GM of a Ford dealership told me the repairs listed in the tsb are a bandaid and not successful most of the time. If it was fixed by replacing the ventilation why must they still undercoat the vehicle? because they need to seal underneath to prevent the fumes that still exist from entering cabin. I understand how carbon monoxide has caused my serious headaches, nausea and I could quickly and unknowingly go from the state of a headache to unconsciousness. That is unacceptable as I could kill others and myself. I currently do not drive this automobile yet continue to make monthly payments to pay for this potential death trap !!! it is shocking after learning of all the complaints that your Agency (the national highway transportation safety administration) has not done more and that Ford has not done anything other than repairs outlined in a tsb that do not resolve a severe life threatening potential deadly issue.

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Apr 302014

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

I get a foul odor in the cabin on hard acceleration. I took it to the dealer and they did a fix but it did not help.they say they don't know what to do, it smells like exhaust is entering the cabin. Help! make Ford fix this.car was purchase new and I notice the problem on the way home from the dealer.

- Robbinsville, NC, USA

May 302014

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

While driving my 2014 Explorer Sport I encountered a few problems with this truck, when I step on the gas to enter on to the freeway it got confused and did not no what to do. Seems like it wanted to stall and then speed up violently. When I finally got up to speed it smelled like it farted, also my radio volume shuts off, I have to stop the car and turn it off, then start it and the volume comes back on. Bring back the V8 please.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Sep 072014

Explorer

Upon acceleration the cabin smelled of exhaust fumes, it happens almost everyday and causes light headedness when driving. When getting up to speed on the highway the cabin fills with exhaust.

- Gulfport, MS, USA