2014 Ford Explorer miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Explorer:

2014 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Sep 282016

There is an overbearing almost intoxicating sulfur/rotten egg smell coming in the cabin of the car any time accelerating. I got this vehicle new in 2014 and it has been doing it since day one. At first I wrote it off as new car or possibly the turbo. But now after reading the thousands others with same problem I am extremely concerned for my family's well being. I have been driving my infant in this car for two years and I am very upset that I could have put her health at risk.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Aug 102016

Exhaust entering the passenger cabin when running the ac on medium or hard acceleration. It's been happening since the vehicle was new, leased new from Ford. Vehicle has approximately 25,000 miles on it.

- Prescott, AZ, USA

Jul 012015

When the vehicle makes an acceleration it creates a "gasoline like odor" inside de cabin of the Ford Explorer 2014. When the vehicle was left in a Ford dealership for inspection they responded by saying that a plastic component was inside the exhaust system. The problem persisted after the supposed problem was found. The problems occurs when the vehicle is in motion.

- Bayamon, PR, USA

Aug 312016

I've owned a 2014 Explorer Sport for 3 years, and have had the 'rotten egg' smell off and on. I thought it was related to the twin turbo and the vehicle being new, as it only happened under hard acceleration (I now know it also primarily happens when the ac is on). 3 years later I finally took it in for service to discover a tsb had been issued for it. After further searching the web, I now see many others have the same issue - and also see that co has been entering the cabin, which really prompted this complaint. I'm also concerned that people are reporting the tsb does not fix the issue, and plan to carry a co monitor for a while to check.

- Cary, NC, USA

Mar 072016

When accelerating or changing A/C the cars fumes enter through the A/C into the cabin of the car. The smell of exhaust is overwhelming. Family has been experiencing headaches and coughing when we experience this. This happens when in stationary and in motion. This happens everyday.

- Fulshear, TX, USA

Sep 062015

9.on or about September 6, 2015, at approximately 2:13 P.M., on southbound jamboree rd., 1424 feet North of san joaquin rd. In newport beach, ca, officer mcdowell, while on duty as a newport beach police officer, was driving the subject vehicle in route to respond to a traffic collision. Officer mcdowell was southbound in the number 2 lane traveling at approximately 50-55 mph. On duty newport beach police officer dan mesri was driving a separate police vehicle, and was traveling southbound in the number one lane slightly behind the subject vehicle. On duty newport beach police officer nathan farris was driving a third police vehicle and was southbound in the number one lane slightly ahead of the subject vehicle. Both officer mesri and officer farris, among others, witnessed the subsequent accident sequence. Officer mcdowell suddenly and unexpectedly lost consciousness within the subject vehicle. According to witnesses, and as evidenced by the dash-cam video in officer mesri's police vehicle, the subject vehicle began drifting to the left. It crossed the number one lane and then crossed the center median. The subject vehicle continued drifting left across the northbound lanes of jamboree rd., coming within inches of a head-on collision with a northbound vehicle. The subject vehicle crossed all northbound lanes, went over the curb, and struck a tree head-on. According to witnesses, the subject vehicle never slowed down during the accident sequence. This accident sequence is hereafter referred to as the 'subject incident.

- Newport Beach, C, CA, USA

Aug 022016

Exhaust fumes in cabin during acceleration or pulling the boat and in the mountains it was measured and was over 12 ppm. It has been to the dealership multiple times for their fix. It is not repaired next week they are changing the exhaust. The fumes are coming in on the passenger side behind the glove box. HVAC blending door would be my guess.they do not know how to repair it. We just returned from the mountains. Had to ride with the windows down if not you would get drowsy. Smelled like burnt hair or sulfur. Please help

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Jul 242016

When I accelerate onto highway a foul odor takes over the cabin for a while. I have to open the windows to clear it. My son get nauseated when it happens. This has been happening for over a year. I just now started seeing information online about other people with this same problem. I am calling the dealer to inquire about the tsb that I saw online. My truck has been in the dealer multiple times and no pending tsbs were ever listed in my profile.

- Lydnhurst, NJ, USA

Apr 252016

NHTSA recall number: 16V245, recall date: Apr 25, 2016, Ford recall number: 16S18. Risk to safety: An improperly welded toe link that fractures while driving could result in a loss of steering control, increasing the risk of a crash. Manufacturer has exceeded reasonable amount of time to repair vehicle, according to recall notification this vehicle is not safe to drive do to increase risk of crash. Also have complained to Ford for over a year to have vehicle repaired for exhaust fumes entering cabin upon hard acceleration. Received numerous emails back from manufacturer that they have no repairs available and is unwilling even to attempt to repair. Vehicle remains parked in garage not willing to drive.

- Deland, FL, USA

Jul 222016

On 22 July I went to snowshoe, wv, and on 24 July I returned from snowshoe. I smelled sulfurish exhaust 4 times this trip. It occurred on uphill grades where the vehicle had downshifted. 3 new places, all at 55 mph or greater, uphill and involving a downshift, ie higher exhaust volume and pressure. Indicating to me the problem is getting worse. Like an exhaust seal breaking down. When I got home, I went to get something from the front passenger seat. When I went to open the door the odor was the strongest I has smelled it. Reinforcing my belief it is exhaust escaping before the catalytic converter. Also meaning I am probably getting a healthy dose of carbon monoxide all the time from this exhaust leak. Please do a recall!!!!!

- Charlottesville, VA, USA

Jul 182016

We have a 2014 Ford Explorer that has a smell inside while accelerating. We have taken it to the dealer to have the problem corrected. Our concern is that exhaust has been coming into the vehicle. We aren't sure if the current solutions in place to fix the vehicle are enough. Well knowing and our family is getting sick from this current issue we just aren't sure what we're breathing inside the vehicle is safe. The smell comes when you accelerate hard either towing or merging onto the highway or even from a red light. The smell is a sulfur smell or rotten egg smell that seems to dissipate quickly but is noticeable.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Jul 012014

Each time after driving our Ford Explorer for a length of time with the air conditioning on, my wife and I begin to feel light headed, tired and sick. My wife is pregnant and we have severe concerns about the safety of driving our Explorer due to the health risk of carbon monoxide leaking into the cabin. We are now aware of this problem with other Explorer and are deeply concerned for our health and the health of our babies.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 092016

Following Ford's most recent "attempt" to stop exhaust from getting into the cabin, I did smell it again on 7/9 and 7/10. It was roughly one tenth of the strength of the last time I smelled it, but I still smelled it at 3500 RPM or greater going up hill after a downshift. Ford keeps trying to keep it out of the cabin instead of preventing it from escaping from the exhaust system. Can I be getting exposed to odorless carbon monoxide all the time and just smell the exhaust when the twin turbos put more air into the engine and the exhaust is undersized and leaks from the pressure?

- Charlottesville, VA, USA

Jul 082016

Each time after driving our Ford Explorer for a length of time with the air conditioning on, my wife and I begin to feel light headed, tired and sick. My wife is pregnant and we have severe concerns about the safety of driving our Explorer due to the health risk of carbon monoxide leaking into the cabin. We are now aware of this problem with other Explorer and are deeply concerned for our health and the health of our baby.

- Lake Worth, FL, USA

Feb 152016

For the past roughly 20K miles, we have been smelling exhaust in the interior of the vehicle. So bad that sometimes we have to stop driving it, and it has made my family ill. Multiple complaints have been made to the dealer, whom claims they either cannot replicate, or that it is leaking oil. I have called them on their bs multiple times, to no avail.

- Webberville, MI, USA

Jul 012016

Exhaust odor while 1) operating the vehicle with full throttle applications (e.g., climbing steep grades or merging onto freeway ramps), and or 2) use of the air conditioning system in recirculation mode both contribute to exhaust gas being detected in the vehicle. Have had it in for service three times. There was no improvement after repairs.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jun 012015

Foul smelling exhaust fumes enter cabin after acceleration. Often happens when going up hill or entering the interstate. It seems to be worse when cabin ac is on re circulation. Has also happened when passing another vehicle. Very noticeable during summer month when ac is needed. Has happened numerous times

- Blairsville, GA, USA

Jan 012015

I recently read an article in the regarding complaints to the NHTSA associated to the Ford Explorer and fume smells coming from the engine and/or exhaust into the cab of the car creating a hazard type situation for the drivers. I would also like to file a complaint to be added to the other existing complaints with the nhsta regarding this issue. I purchased a new 2014 Ford Explorer from the hansel Ford dealership in petaluma. Within a few months I became aware of a fume type odor within the cab if the vehicle. I contacted the dealership and started trying to identify and resolve the issue. The fumes were causing dizziness and nausea on long drives. Passengers also complained of the fume odor. After several attempts to the service department with the car out of service and many months there was no solution. Unsatisfied I decided to file a complaint with the better business bureau in 2014 for the fume smell along with some unrelated issues. I was forwarded to arbitration where it was judged by the arbitrator that no action was to be taken. I currently still own the Ford Explorer and experience fume smells. As mentioned above I would also like to file a complaint in regard to this fume issue. I can provided supporting documentation if needed. Please contact me directly. Thank you.

- Petaluma, CA, USA

Nov 262014

Exhaust smell coming in thru ac/heater system especially when excellerating or just driving normal. It always happens when ac/ heater is not on. The Ford dealer has tried 3 X to fix for me and even contacted Ford main office for complaints or issues the locals can't figure out or fix but got know I out on his to rectify issue. I noticed it after first buying car 11/2014 but thought it was just coming from car in front if me. Then I noticed it when on road all alone.

- Keno, OR, USA

Mar 012016

Vehicle has bad fume odor that will make you light headed and has given me headaches upon acceleration especially at higher speeds like going up big hills on the highway. My vehicle was at Ford twice for which they charged me over $500 to fix the problem but it still persists and they are not willing or capable to fix it properly

- Wallingford, CT, USA