2014 Ford Explorer wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Explorer:

2014 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Feb 122014

Explorer 6-cyl

To avoid hitting another vehicle that illegally came into the lane I was entering (they were driving on the shoulder), I had to take evasive action, which caused me to turn my vehicle into a curb. At the time, I was traveling 15 to maybe 20 mph. After hitting the curb, my vehicle came to a stop and upon inspection I discovered that the lower control arm had completely broken in half. My vehicle was towed to a local dealership, where they subsequently serviced the vehicle, which I picked up on March 15, 2014. However, within 100 miles of driving, multiple system errors occurred, and my steering went out. The dealership is now saying there was apparently an issue with the steering gear assembly, and that they will be able to further diagnose upon replacing that part. My concern is the safety of the vehicle and specifically that I do not think a control arm should snap in half at that speed, particularly in a SUV that has an upgraded suspension as part of the trim package.

- San Jose, CA, USA