2015 Ford Explorer drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Ford Explorer:

2015 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Jun 122016

3.5L ecoboost, 24K miles. Upon attempted acceleration, engine does not produce full power. Engine lags significantly then surges in both RPM and acceleration. Issues has persisted for approximately 3K miles. Issue occurs during all environmental conditions. Check engine light has not come on. No codes have been found. Vehicle has been examined by hudson Ford in Wisconsin. No resolution provided, issue continues to exhibit itself.

- Apple Valley, MN, USA

Aug 082016

My wife and I park our 2015 Ford Explorer XLT in the parking area in front of our house. In order to go anywhere, we need to back it out of its parking spot, reverse-turn to the right, apply the brakes, put the vehicle in drive, and finally drive forward on the driveway until reaching the street. This morning, my wife planned to go to the store. She entered the vehicle, started it, put it in reverse, and proceeded to back out of the parking spot. As usual, she applied the brakes to stop the car and put it in drive, but unfortunately, this morning the brakes did not respond. She applied the brakes a few more times to no avail. After that did not work, she applied the emergency brake, which did not do anything either. Finally, she turned off the engine and put the car in park, which didn't do anything either. She ended up doing a U-turn in reverse. My other truck was parked to the right of where the Ford Explorer was parked, so once the Ford Explorer reached my parked truck and collided with it, the Ford Explorer finally stopped. In addition to my wife, our two sons aged 6 and 8, were inside the vehicle with her when this happened. We have attached a photo of the Ford Explorer collided onto my parked truck (a Ford F150), which it had to do in order to stop and not collide into anything or anyone else. The main reason we got a Ford Explorer is because we believed it would be a sturdy SUV that would keep my wife and kids safe, so this incident is extremely concerning. The car is almost new with approximately 12,000 miles and we have had already had to take it into the repair shop approximately eight times. We have asked Ford to replace it, but they have not been willing to do so, which is why we are escalating this matter to regulating agencies for resolution as well as out of concern for other families who may have had a similar experience.

- Sylmar, CA, USA

Jul 012016

When my 2015 Ford Explorer is under heavy acceleration such as towing or passsing, I can smell a very strong odor of sulpher or convertor fumes in the cabin. It is worse with the fresh air vent and is less with the recirculation. The rear A/C is off and I have 4400 miles on the vehicle. I called my local Ford dealer and they have no past complaints of this nature and do not know what it may be. I also had a problem when I was making the high acceleration to duplicate the problem and noticed the steering wheel jerking under torque. I drive front wheel drive police vehicles for a living and never had this happen where you better be hanging on with both hands.

- Porter, TX, USA

Jan 142016

I bought the car in September of 2015 and noticed upon hard acceleration such as entering the interstate or passing a car there is a smell of exhaust that comes into the cabin area and in order to relieve the smell the windows need to be cracked a little bit and this only happens upon hard acceleration.I have not had this experience with any other vehicle. I have also had problems with the transmission but they cannot seem to figure out when accelerating between 20 and 40 miles per hour you feel a shift in the transmission which for a new vehicle is a bit odd. At 10,000 miles I had to have a stabilizer bar in the front and replaced I notice a lot of heavy clunking as I drove my car around and this seems to be the problem. I I have also had issues with the headliner coming out on the driver side front door this is been pushed in and replaced 3 times and it's working on its fourth time. The issues with the transmission and the exhaust fumes in the cab and have yet to be resolved.

- Dixon, IL, USA

Sep 022014

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

Exhaust smell in car every time you enter a freeway or pass another vehicle. In other words; acceleration. Also, has a "drone" type sound at speeds over 71 mph. The vehicle has been to the dealership three times with the latest time being two weeks so far (it's still there on 9-30-15) for the two issues noted above..

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Jun 142015

During and after acceleration at any speed there is a very strong sulphur smell in the cabin of the vehicle. It appears to enter from the rear of the vehicle and it must be exhausted by opening the windows every single time. The fumes contain CO2 and are very dangerous to all within the vehicle. All passengers complain of a light headache and nausea.

- Garland, TX, USA