2015 Ford Explorer engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Ford Explorer:

2015 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 182014

Smell of exhaust fumes and/or sulfur-type odors coming through air conditioning system under heavy acceleration, passing on highway, or when engine is under a load. Fumes/smell get so bad that I have to roll down all windows and open sunroof to ventilate the passenger compartment. Tolerated the headaches, nausea, and light-headedness while driving until situation became intolerable and had begun to avoid driving the Explorer. First serviced in 10/2015, dealer had vehicle for 4 or 5 days. I was told that a tsb was performed which included removing the rear bumper and using sealant, but that did not correct the problem. Fumes in passenger compartment persisted. On 9/26/2016 took vehicle back to dealer for further diagnostics and repair attempts for same problem. Dealer had vehicle through 10/4/16, and called to tell me to come pick-up vehicle as it was "fixed" by cleaning A/C evaporator, and also "speaking with Ford engineers". went for test drive with service manager. After approx. 4-5 miles on highway, under varying acceleration conditions, cabin began to smell like fumes again, coming through the A/C vents. Then I began to feel light-headed and informed service manager of same. Could not ventillate vehicle due to heavy rains, but taking A/C off of "recirculate air" helped only a little, and changed nature of odor slightly. Dealership was using a meter to measure what was supposed to be carbon monoxide. Was consistently told throughout that measurements were "low" at 900ppm to max 1500ppm. When driving with same meter, it alarmed multiple times, but I was told it was because meter responds to breathing in the car. I determined that meter was for carbon dioxide not carbon monoxide. Returned vehicle to service, was told Ford is having regional rep examine vehicle on 10/11/16. I have filed a lemon law complaint with BBB.

- Land O Lakes, FL, USA

Jul 012016

Upon hard acceleration, such as trying to get on the interstate highway or going up a hill while pulling a trailer, exhaust fumes are getting into the passenger cabin. You can smell an odor similar to sulfur or like someone struck a kitchen match. This is most noticeable when the front and rear ac units are running. I've taken the vehicle to the dealership twice and the tsb repairs have been done on the vehicle but the fumes are still getting into the cabin. The last time I had it in to the dealer, I had one of the mechanics ride with me while I got on the interstate. He never would say that he smelled the odor of the exhaust but if I could smell it, he certainly could have as well. The odor is offensive and bothersome but the carbon monoxide that it contains is poisonous. I've looked online and there are many post to various websites posted by owners that have the same problem. Ford should be made to correct this problem.

- Forsyth, GA, USA

Nov 012014

2015 Ford Explorer -- smelling exhaust odors inside the car when accelerating over 3,000rpm, usually when merging thru interstate highways or expressways, driving over 75mph or going uphill. It happens with the A/C mode in "recirculation" or not. I bought the car brand new on July 2014. I reported the issue at least four (4) to six (6) with the dealership's service department, and they attempted with the help of Ford engineers to fix it with instructions from tsb 14-0130 but it doesn't seem to help. On two (2) separate occasions, they had to give me a rental car for two (2) weeks because they were troubleshooting and attempting to fix it. I have also attached a letter from the dealership stating their interest in purchasing the car but I don't know if it has something to do with the defects but I find it very interesting.

- Roswell, GA, USA

Sep 262016

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Explorer. While driving 45 mph, the vehicle decelerated, stalled, and the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of this issue. The failure mileage was 12,500.

- Norcross, GA, USA

Aug 022016

My vehicle has had an exhaust smell under acceleration since new. After approximately 9 months it starting getting really bad. I took it to the dealership beginning of August and they completed the tech bulletin but was not fixed so I took it back. The dealer told me they worked on it for 3 days with technical service from Ford motor headquarters but could not fix it and told me it was safe to drive and gave me back the vehicle. When I picker up the vehicle my receipt stated "could not verify problem", (that is a major cover-up) by the dealer from liability. I filed complaint with Ford and took it to another dealership. They verified the problem and have had it twice more and replaced the exhaust and resealed the body seams but the smell is still there. I have been in contact with Ford but keep getting the run around and told I have to take it back to the dealer but the dealer tells me they have done everything to try and fix it. My main complaint is that this is a lease vehicle so it belongs to Ford, they should just take their vehicle back and release me from my lease since they cannot fix their vehicle. Ford tells me that they filed the paperwork for the lemon law but I need to take it back to the dealer again and again. I just picked it up Saturday and this is Monday and Ford says take it back to the dealer and Ford will call me on Friday. I don't know why I have to keep taking it back to dealer when dealer states they cannot fix it.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Apr 182016

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Explorer. When attempting to hard accelerate in the vehicle, exhaust fumes entered the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer four times. The exhaust system and other components were replaced, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 7,000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Feb 012016

Burning plastic / exhaust smell inside the cab any time when accelerating

- Palatka, FL, USA

Feb 152015

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Explorer. While driving and accelerating the vehicle, an exhaust odor entered the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the HVAC module and air extractor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 19,200. The VIN was not provided.

- Lumberton, TX, USA

Jan 152015

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Explorer. While operating the vehicle, exhaust fumes were present inside the vehicle and caused the occupants to become drowsy. While using a carbon monoxide detector, the reading indicated that the carbon monoxide levels reached 60 parts per million. The contact indicated that the failure was most noticeable when the air conditioner unit was operated or while driving up an incline. The vehicle was taken to the dealer on several different occasions and the extractor, molding, valve asy auto drain, power take off asy, and the transfer case were replaced; but, the failure continued. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 100. The VIN was not available...updated 09/20/16

- Hazelton, PA, USA

Jun 122016

3.5L ecoboost, 24K miles. Upon attempted acceleration, engine does not produce full power. Engine lags significantly then surges in both RPM and acceleration. Issues has persisted for approximately 3K miles. Issue occurs during all environmental conditions. Check engine light has not come on. No codes have been found. Vehicle has been examined by hudson Ford in Wisconsin. No resolution provided, issue continues to exhibit itself.

- Apple Valley, MN, USA

Apr 012015

I have noticed this smell some since I purchased the vehicle, but it has progressively gotten worse. Upon heavy acceleration (such as merging onto the highway), there is a very strong burning smell that takes over the inside of the vehicle. The smell seems to be exhaust coming into the vehicle. I have noticed an increase in "sleepy driving", or getting sleepy even if it is just on my way home from work. In July 2016 I took the vehicle in to be fixed, however, the fix did not work. This morning I took it back to the dealership for more repairs. I have a young child, and these fumes coming into the vehicle is not acceptable and needs to be taken care of immediately. Ford needs to do something, or provide a major discount towards a new version that doesn't have this defect. I finally got the vehicle I wanted, and I can't drive it because of this issue. Please make Ford fix this problem. 7 years of this being an issue with Ford vehicles is way to long!!!

- Jones, OK, USA

Aug 032016

My 2015 Ford Explorer gives off exhaust gas that enters the cabin under acceleration to highway speeds and has made passengers in my car sick and vomit. The problem started immediately after I bought the car and as of today the dealer cannot fix the problem. I have had it back to the dealer numerous times and have contacted Ford customer care center without success. They say the car is fixed but still smells. The dealer tells me they have been in touch with Ford and still no remedy. Its almost like they are waiting for the warranty to run out so they can forget about this problem. My brother has an Explorer police vehicle and on a recent trip with him in his car his did the exact same thing.

- Naples, FL, USA

Mar 022015

I have noticed since the car was purchased new a strong odor coming from the air conditioning system when you depress the accelerator to max when passing a car or entering an on ramp. I have tried with both the fresh air on and recirculate on, the same effect is noticed. Finally after dealing with this for about a year I brought it up to my dealer when the vehicle was in for its routine service. The service advisor informed me he has a 2016 Explorer with the same problem and that Ford came back with something about vents not opening quick enough at the rear of the vehicle. To his knowledge, there was no fix from Ford as of yet. The smell does get quite strong and routinely the windows need to be lowered to prevent the strong odors from lingering. I am concerned as to what the odor is, possibly harmful emissions that could affect myself and my passengers? under normal driving conditions the smelled will appear when the accelerator is depressed more than half way, far too often in my opinion. I did notice more of the smell during the warmer months of the year and not as much when it was cooler/cold (we live in Florida so never freezing).

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jul 282016

Strong odor of exhaust fumes enter cabin when gas pedal is pushed hard when entering freeway and air conditioner is on and set at recirculate. It happens every time I enter the freeway at end of entrance ramp. I am forced to open the windows while driving to make the fumes go away.

- Brighton, MI, USA

Nov 042014

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Explorer. During acceleration, an exhaust odor emitted from the vehicle without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the air outer vent assembly and valve assembly auto drain needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where the technician stated that the vehicle was unable to be remedied. The contact was also advised to refrain from using the rear vents and hard acceleration. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 26,482. Updated 09/29/16

- Spring, TX, USA

Oct 222014

I can smell gas fumes in the interior of the car when driving. Sometimes the odor is more when I accelerate. The smell isn't there all the time, but is pretty strong when it is present. This has happened several times -- ever since we bought the car. We bought the car in 2014.

- Colon, NE, USA

Dec 102015

I purchased my 2015 Ford Explorer limited in November 2015. I special ordered the vehicle which took just about six weeks to arrive. Since the first day I noticed and also family members noticed a smell. At first I just thought it was the newness of the vehicle and the break in period. Over the months I've noticed the smell never dissipated when accelerating to highway speeds. I'm in aviation and having any type of fumes entering the cabin area would immediately raise the red flag, notifying customers. I do understand the auto industry is much different, but in the same breath the health and well being of consumers breathing in these fumes could and will cause health problems. I've read most of the post concerning the direction some dealerships are being guided from Ford with the results not fixing the issue.emissions with newer vehicles are much better as with aircraft, but once again what is the cost to someones health. I've been a Ford owner for many, many years and this is very troubling to say the least. Ford has a responsibility to resolve this issue. I'm sure Ford engineers are working day and night to resolve this. I hope that other consumers with the same concerns take the time to reach out and hopefully not find themselves in I'll health before hand.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Jun 192015

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, there would be an exhaust odor coming into the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis, where the technician stated that the exhaust odor was normal. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 10.

- Franklin, LA, USA

Jul 102016

I recently came across an article about exhaust fumes inside the 2015 Ford Explorer. This is what my wife and I experienced. I hope this helps in your review in a potential recall of this vehicle. In August 2014 we purchased a new Ford Explorer 2015 XLT. Currently have approximately 40K miles on it. When either of us accelerate to enter a freeway quickly, or drive up a hill there is a stronger odor of exhaust fumes inside the car. Of course we open the windows, but my wife is asthmatic and it greatly affects her breathing and other asthma symptoms including coughing, wheezing and needing to use a ¿rescue¿ inhaler. This occurs during the winter as well as when the ac in on. We love our beautiful Ford Explorer and are troubled by this problem, but believe this is a serious fault and should justify a recall.

- Neptune, NJ, USA

May 242015

Exhaust gas fumes come into the inside cabin while driving, mostly from the rear of the vehicle. The air conditioning or heater is on and the recirculation fan can be either on or off. Failure mode can be on flat surface but mostly occurs going up and down hills. Not sure if the decelleration of the vehicle is part of the cause. Problem is intermittent, may not occur for weeks and then might occur 3-4 times in a day one specific example is on November 30, 2015, at 2:30 pm HVAC system is set to heat, set to 73 degrees heat in dual temp control is on, recirculation is on, elevation is 3100 feet, going uphill on catron blvd towards highway 16 in rapid city, sd, (outskirts of town), decelerated from 50 to 40 mph at 40mph speed limit sign, several vehicles around us, odometer reading was 5482.5 miles, and smelled exhaust fumes in the cabin that appeared to come from the rear of the cabin, had to open both front windows for about a minute to get the smell out.

- Box Elder, SD, USA