2015 Ford Explorer miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Ford Explorer:

2015 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jul 122016

When I turn the vehicle on with the air conditioning on, an unpleasant smell comes through the vents. I have changed the air filter, cabin air filter, and used a spray to clean the vents. The spray smell overpowered the unpleasant smell for about 3-4 days. The unpleasant smell is back. I recently became aware of the NHTSA's investigation into the exhaust leak into the cabin which most likely is the problem I am experiencing. I often have my children in the vehicle with me and am starting to get concerned about what effect the fumes could have on them.

- Crown Point, IN, USA

May 242015

Exhaust gas fumes come into the inside cabin while driving, mostly from the rear of the vehicle. The air conditioning or heater is on and the recirculation fan can be either on or off. Failure mode can be on flat surface but mostly occurs going up and down hills. Not sure if the decelleration of the vehicle is part of the cause. Problem is intermittent, may not occur for weeks and then might occur 3-4 times in a day one specific example is on November 30, 2015, at 2:30 pm HVAC system is set to heat, set to 73 degrees heat in dual temp control is on, recirculation is on, elevation is 3100 feet, going uphill on catron blvd towards highway 16 in rapid city, sd, (outskirts of town), decelerated from 50 to 40 mph at 40mph speed limit sign, several vehicles around us, odometer reading was 5482.5 miles, and smelled exhaust fumes in the cabin that appeared to come from the rear of the cabin, had to open both front windows for about a minute to get the smell out.

- Box Elder, SD, USA

Feb 012016

When accelerating or in motion for a period of time, the cabin gets an exhaust smell. When tested for carbon monoxide, there were 26 ppm with the windows up and the A/C blowing. On 1 occasion, 2 passengers in the back seat became ill. When thy exited the car, they felt immediately better. We have returned this vehicle 3 times to the dealer without successfully fixing the issue. The vehicle must have the windows cracked at all times to keep the exhaust smell out.

- Manhattan, KS, USA

Apr 082015

Purchased in early 2015, vehicle has always had very foul exhaust odor in cabin when accelerating or engine under load. Driver also noted to become dizzy and nauseous when ac set on recirculate for greater than 20 minutes. This problem has never been resolved and replicates easily.

- Calhoun Falls, SC, USA

Nov 012015

Strong smell of exhaust in cabin of vehicle once car was warmed up. Began almost immediately after purchase of car, but was thought to be new car "burn off" of chemicals used in production. Became very significant once weather was cooler and no windows could be opened while driving. Also very significant while sitting in traffic. Back to dealer 4 different times over a period of 4-5 months. Multiple attempts made to correct problem. Dealer called Ford hot line many times for help. Entire exhaust system replaced along with "other" many parts, including R&R muffler assembly and complete undercoating of all rear seams finally fixed in early 2016 after having to be towed in to dealer due to loss of transmission fluid from a ptu intermediate shaft leaking again after being replaced 01/19/2016 as part of exhaust problem. This car spent more time in the shop and I drove, I think, all of the dealers rental vehicles during that 3 to 4 month period. Lemon law here in MA could have been initiated if need be after 3 attempts at fixing the problem. I was just frustrated with all the time and driving wasted to be back and forth to dealer. The problem has been resolved as of now, but will be very careful to watch for any recurrence. Carbon monoxide is not a good thing!!!!!

- Southwick, MA, USA

Feb 192016

Extremely strong exhaust odor in cabin while driving at 65mph, acceleration to pass, and uphill. Caused my sons asthma that was under control to become worse than it ever has been. I took the vehicle into where I bought it brand new and they attemptes to fix it 3 times and blamed it on a back up camera they installed. The odor was still there. I called Ford Motor Company and at their request I took the car to another Ford dealership and my vehicle is still sitting there because they do not know why the exhaust is filling up in the cabin. It is not because of recirculated air, because I run my ac on max due to my childs asthma and the heat in Florida. I told them I was going to file for them lemon law because my car has been in their shop 6 times now for the same issue!! all they want to do is get mad and tell me look in my owners manual and figure it out. What a way to show customer service and what a way to treat a customer who paid $45,000 for a brand new car thinkimg there wouldn't be any problems!!! I bought my car in June 2015 and the exhaust problem started in February 2016.

- Eustis, FL, USA

May 072015

Exhaust smell leaking into passenger cabin when accelerating on to highway.

- Orange City, FL, USA

Jul 012016

Explorer has terrible exhaust smell upon acceleration.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 302015

I am experiencing a exhaust odor in the cab of my 2015 Ford Explorer during acceleration. I have had the vehicle in for service regarding this issue four times since July 2015.

- Estell Manor, NJ, USA

Aug 102014

When the vehicle is in motion accelerated on the gas entering a ramp on highway or going uphill there is an exhaust smell in the interior of the cabin even with circulation on.

- Dripping Springs, TX, USA

Jul 042016

I smell exhaust fumes within the cab of the vehicle whenever I accelerate quickly. It has happened at low speeds with quick acceleration, when passing vehicles or climbing hills. I have had the vehicle since January, however, I have not yet had the dealer look at the issue.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 232016

Strong odor in cabin when ac is on and vehicle is under hard acceleration.

- Bayonet Point, FL, USA

Feb 262016

I was driving today 02/26/16 from atlanta to Alabama I was driving around 65-70 mph when my driver trim/molding few almost caused us an accident or another car accident as wee. This needs to been recalled to the Ford dealer to fix this issue.I have noticed that others had the same problem. Please

- Roswell, GA, USA

Dec 122015

Real bad exhaust smell coming from ac vents when passing another car at high speed car has been to dealer two times exhaust smell still there.

- Springhill, FL, USA

Oct 192014

Leased vehicle new on October 18, 2014. Problem began immediately at approximately 200 miles. When passing another vehicle or accelerating from stop, exhaust fumes fill the cabin through the A/C vents. Occurs to the extent that all windows and sunroof must be opened in order to clear fumes. Has made driver and passenger(s) light-headed, upper respiratory irritation has happened, as well. Generally occurs when windows are up and A/C is operating. Reported to dealer, was told "there is no tsb for this problem based on your VIN" (though all prior year Explorer 2011-2014 have this problem and it has not yet been resolved by Ford, and there is a class action suit in fl which was given class action standing by a judge in October, 2014. My vehicle is not "yet" lemon law eligible because the number of repair attempts has been limited by health problems. Ford should offer to buy effected vehicles back without need to go through lemon law, as this is a carbon monoxide and "breathing exhaust fumes" health hazard which occurs almost every time the vehicle is driven.

- Land O Lakes, FL, USA

Oct 012015

New (dealer demo), 2015 Explorer XLT with ~6000 miles on it. The vehicle cabin fills with acrid, "hair/plastic burning" smelling fumes when under heavy acceleration; mostly at >4500rpm while trying to pass or enter traffic. The fumes cause headache and nausea and actually leave a long lasting, burning/oily taste in the mouth afterwards. It takes all windows open for many minutes to clear most of the fumes/smell out. The physical effects seem to last for up to 30 minutes. This appears to be a condition that has existed since the 2011 model and is still present in the 2015 model.

- Dunedin, FL, USA

Sep 272015

I own a brand new 2015 Ford Explorer. We purchased the vehicle about a month ago. The second day we had the vehicle we noticed a strong smell that would fill the cabin of the car during acceleration. We thought the smell was just the "new" burning off the engine, fast forward to a month later and the problem is just as strong as ever. I was curious so I googled the issue and to my shock there are thousands of cases with the exact same problem. There is even a class action lawsuit in place at this time about this very problem. I have tried contacting Ford with no help whatsoever. I am concerned about the safety and well being of my family in what was supposed to be a reliable and safe vehicle. Cases of carbon monoxide illness from exhaust fumes are nothing that needs to be pushed aside.

- Wilburton , OK, USA

Nov 032014

My new 2015 Ford Explorer XLT produces a very strong exhaust/sulfer smell inside the passenger cabin. The smell is very strong when the vehicle is rapidly accelerated. The dealership has verified the problem and attempted to fix it six different times. Ford knows about these problems, but none of these repairs have reduced the strong odor and noxious fumes inside the cabin.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Jun 012015

During acceleration (getting on highway, passing, etc.) the cab fills with exhaust smell. We immediately have to roll the windows down to get the smell out of the vehicle. Frequent passengers and driver with asthma. We have taken Explorer to dealer several times but only left it twice as they said they only had 2 technical bulletin's from Ford on suggested fixes. Still smells. During a google search we found this has been going on since 2011. Had we have known we would not have bought this Ford Explorer.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Apr 122015

Driving home up a hill with a newly purchased 2015 Ford Explorer my wife and I noticed a bad smell like exhaust fumes; we put this down to the new engine/exhaust burning off any factory grease etc. Subsequent trips with all of my family in the SUV we all experienced a foul exhaust and sulfur smell when going up a hill or accelerating above 3K RPM; there were no other vehicles in front of us to blame for the odor. We have taken the SUV to the dealer 4 times now and they in conjuction with Ford technical support cannot find the root cause. They have replaced/ installed: Egr valve cover (tech bulletin), both exhaust down pipes, front transfer case. The dealer has no test equipment to find the problem or confirm we are smelling engine exhaust containing toxic gases including co.

- Warren, OR, USA