7.8

2016 Ford Explorer miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Ford Explorer:

2016 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 162016

Explorer

Husband was driving the vehicle was about to accelerate to get up a hill on a city street and engine sounded like transmission or other major part just "dropped". steering wheel froze, car idled violently, could not move vehicle, started to roll backwards until emergency brake was applied.acceleration went to literally zero, SUV would not move. Orange wrench light came on, stated to see manual.placed car in park shut off engine and waited and started at back up again. Scarry stuff, 2 children 2 and younger in vehicle. Won't let me input on next page, approximately 25-30 miles an hour, SUV has 5,500 miles on

- Redondo Beach, CA, USA

Jul 142016

Explorer

With only 3.9 K miles the vehicle stopped acceleration and turned off. I was able to turn the car on, however, the vehicle would only move at idle speed while in drive. Fortunately I had enough to idle my way to the side of the road. The part that went out was the throttle body. Although the manufacturer replaced the part on the vehicle, I feel that they have been very irresponsible in not recalling this part and advising buyers that the car has a "faulty" throttle body. Everyone at Ford that I have spoke to almost immediately knew what the issue leading me to believe that I am not the only person that has had this issue. This issue could have caused a severe accident if the car would have shut off or de-ccelerated while driving at a high rate of speed.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jul 092016

Explorer

I was driving close to my house and almost caused a big accident while I had my children on board. The car stopped completely ( suddenly stopped) and lost power, I was lucky that not accident occurred ( can U imagine if I was in the miami expressway and that happened). I'm attaching a pic showing the check engine, wrench light that came on while I was driving. I did some research online and found out that many americans are having the same issues, it is a defective throttle body that causes the vehicle to slow down and shutdown at any time. Ford is already aware of the problem and you guys more likely are aware too. What are you guys waiting to issue a recall"? waiting for someone to die"

- Miami, FL, USA

Jul 082016

Explorer

Exhaust or burning smell inside interior cabin when accelerating.

- La Villa, TX, USA

Dec 012015

Explorer

On my 2016 Explorer limited 3.5 N/a V6 - under hard (getting on fwy) or extended acceleration (uphill climb) exhaust fumes can be noticed by the passengers in the vehicle. I know there is an open investigation on the 11-15 years but the 16 should be included as well. This has been the case from new to current 11K miles. This happened on my previous 2013 model as well.

- Avondale, AZ, USA

Mar 052016

Explorer

The 2016 model also has the odor from the ventilation which is investigated now. The odor occurs during driving at regular methods after the engine can heat up for a few miles. This "new car" smell was called regular heating of new parts by the salesman but now it has been 3000 miles and he odor is still happening. I just want the 2016 to be checked out for emission troubles to maintain a safe ride for family members.

- Newton, IA, USA

Jul 042016

Explorer

When a strain is put on the engine, such as in passing gear, a burning rubber smell is emitted in the interior, even with the air conditioning in recirculate air in vehicle mode. In 2013 I dialogued with Ford headquarters about this same issue with a 2012 Explorer limited that I owned. In 2013 they sent me to royal oak Ford in royal oak. Mi and the service manager rode with me to observe the smell. They never offered any type of repair. I was hoping they would have solved this by 2016, however now with the warm summer weather this 2016 Explorer emits the putrid smell just as badly. It smell like the rubber padding on top of the engine is burning. Vehicle has 8,900 miles, purchased brand new 10/25/15.

- Berkley, MI, USA

Jun 072016

Explorer

Burning exhaust smell entering into cabin of car when car is under hard acceleration/full throttle. Especially noticeable when accelerating onto a highway or climbing steep hills. This burning exhaust smell makes all passengers feel sick by affecting your respiratory passageways leaving a lump in your throat, burning your eyes, giving you a headache, and making you feel nauseous. The recent NHTSA investigation into 2011-2015 models, should also include 2016 models as well. Ford has failed to recognize this problem and has tried multiple times to "fix" my 2016 Ford Explorer. No resolution has been found and they have refused so far to take the car back.

- Long Valley, NJ, USA

Jun 022016

Explorer

Throttle body failed on vehicle at highway speed. Lost all power in the middle of rush hour traffic barely missed a rear end collision from another vehicle because I could not accelerate.

- Washington, DC, USA

Sep 212015

Explorer

My vehicle emits exhaust in the cabin while driving. Upon acceleration and deceleration, the exhaust smell is so potent, me and my passengers have to roll down the windows. I returned the vehicle the day after purchasing to the Ford dealership for repairs and have returned it for repairs many times since. They have sealed all openings under the vehicle, replaced the exhaust system, and replaced the vents in the bumper. Ford has acknowledged there is an issue with my Explorer, however, they are unable to fix it. My last repair visit in June 2016, I was notified that I need to come pick up my vehicle because they could do nothing else for it. They have tried to repair it and they are unable to repair the issue. This has caused various health issues for me, which include, headaches and nausea. Ford has ignored all of my request to resolve this issue. I am concerned I am being poisoned by exhaust.

- Kemp, TX, USA

Jun 112016

Explorer

I was driving down the road at 60 mph and my car just lost all power. A wrench came on and said see owners manual. It happened 3 more times within the day. So scary for your car to just lose power while driving down the road. I had it towed to the shop and it was a throttle body malfunction, which apparently, Ford is aware of. Why isn't there a recall"! are they waiting for someone to die"

- Tuttle, OK, USA

May 202016

Explorer

The rear sunroof exploded, I was driving down tollway 99 out side of houston Texas, at about 60 mph. The roadway is flat and straight the 4+ lanes are 150 yard apart, no overpasses. There were no other cars or trucks within 100 yards or more. And a very loud noise, like a gun shot " blew out" the rear glass ( the front can move, the rear cannot ) in the sunroof. I only have about 8000 mile on the SUV. Ford does not seem to understand the problem and keeps saying it must have been a rock. I can't prove they are wrong and they can't prove that I am correct. So my insurance pays, which means we all lose.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Feb 202016

Explorer

Vehicle leaks carbon monoxide at toxic levels into passenger cabin. I purchased a digital co meter and produced video and pics of toxic levels. Dealer still had no answer and Ford has turned down buy back request. Owner of dealership pleaded with Ford to save their customer and was turned down again. Ford rep at dealer conspired with managers to turn me away because I leased a Volvo XC90. Wife and kids refuse to sit in a gas chamber. The Explorer is parked while I determine whether to file suit. Thinking of hiring an independent test lab to drive and document co leak.

- Northridge, CA, USA

Apr 152016

Explorer

I am the owner of a 2016 Ford Explorer XLT with the foot activation liftgate feature. While loading a large item in the rear cargo area of the parked vehicle, the foot activated closure function was unexpectedly triggered and the liftgate proceeded to close on me. The liftgate did not stop once it hit me. I had to apply extreme cross force pressure to stop the closing process and trigger the safety stop mechanism. Had this malfunction occurred while my 4 year old child was retrieving or placing an item in the vehicle, her head or neck would have been crushed. Further testing and trying to shut the liftgate on myself via the key fob or the tailgate button did not produce the same result. The safety stop detected my presence upon initial impact, and re-opened, as expected. I am furious that this unexpected closing via accidental activation via the foot sensor issue has not been addressed, even though a quick internet search pulls back many owner complaints of this same issue. The complaints go back several model years. This feature is commonly installed on all dealer stock vehicles, so Ford should address the inconsistency of the foot activation sensor, or at least incorporate a setting that allows the owner to disable this function via the vehicle settings. Safety needs to exceed any value of a convenience feature.

- Crown Point, IN, USA

Mar 012016

Explorer

Cabin fills with carbon monoxide during uphill grade through ac unit. Or engine under load. 3000-4000 RPM creates sulfur rotten egg smell in cabin. Ford is giving me the run around.

- Northridge, CA, USA

Feb 022016

Explorer

1,400 miles 1.1 months, and got a extremely soon problem whit the radiator fan, noise on bearings don't stop. Possibly the fan can stop working soon affecting temperature of engine https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?T=438269

- Duncanville, TX, USA

Dec 292015

Explorer

Purchased 2016 Ford Explorer new. Has 4567 miles on it. Starting noticing a popping sound under foot floor board driver side whenever I first start the vehicle and move forward to about 7 miles per hour about two months after purchase. Noise does not happen anytime after the first pop while driving, only when you first start the vehicle and move forward at about 7 mph. Took to Ford dealer to have the noise checked out they adjusted the front bridge link bolt as per tsb 15-0186 and said the noise was gone. I went to pick up the vehicle and as soon as I moved forward at about 7mph the popping noise came back. Talked to service writer and he talked to someone else and they said that this was a normal noise and all 2106 Explorer did this. They got another 2016 Explorer like mine from the lot and sure enough it made the same popping noise right around 7 mph. I guess Ford does not build quality products like advertised. Hard to believe a $35,000 vehicle would make popping noises when new. My advice is "do not" but any Ford products especially the Explorer.

- Wilmington, OH, USA