2016 Ford Explorer miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Ford Explorer:

2016 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

May 202016

The rear sunroof exploded, I was driving down tollway 99 out side of houston Texas, at about 60 mph. The roadway is flat and straight the 4+ lanes are 150 yard apart, no overpasses. There were no other cars or trucks within 100 yards or more. And a very loud noise, like a gun shot " blew out" the rear glass ( the front can move, the rear cannot ) in the sunroof. I only have about 8000 mile on the SUV. Ford does not seem to understand the problem and keeps saying it must have been a rock. I can't prove they are wrong and they can't prove that I am correct. So my insurance pays, which means we all lose.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Feb 202016

Vehicle leaks carbon monoxide at toxic levels into passenger cabin. I purchased a digital co meter and produced video and pics of toxic levels. Dealer still had no answer and Ford has turned down buy back request. Owner of dealership pleaded with Ford to save their customer and was turned down again. Ford rep at dealer conspired with managers to turn me away because I leased a Volvo XC90. Wife and kids refuse to sit in a gas chamber. The Explorer is parked while I determine whether to file suit. Thinking of hiring an independent test lab to drive and document co leak.

- Northridge, CA, USA

Apr 152016

I am the owner of a 2016 Ford Explorer XLT with the foot activation liftgate feature. While loading a large item in the rear cargo area of the parked vehicle, the foot activated closure function was unexpectedly triggered and the liftgate proceeded to close on me. The liftgate did not stop once it hit me. I had to apply extreme cross force pressure to stop the closing process and trigger the safety stop mechanism. Had this malfunction occurred while my 4 year old child was retrieving or placing an item in the vehicle, her head or neck would have been crushed. Further testing and trying to shut the liftgate on myself via the key fob or the tailgate button did not produce the same result. The safety stop detected my presence upon initial impact, and re-opened, as expected. I am furious that this unexpected closing via accidental activation via the foot sensor issue has not been addressed, even though a quick internet search pulls back many owner complaints of this same issue. The complaints go back several model years. This feature is commonly installed on all dealer stock vehicles, so Ford should address the inconsistency of the foot activation sensor, or at least incorporate a setting that allows the owner to disable this function via the vehicle settings. Safety needs to exceed any value of a convenience feature.

- Crown Point, IN, USA

Mar 012016

Cabin fills with carbon monoxide during uphill grade through ac unit. Or engine under load. 3000-4000 RPM creates sulfur rotten egg smell in cabin. Ford is giving me the run around.

- Northridge, CA, USA

Feb 022016

1,400 miles 1.1 months, and got a extremely soon problem whit the radiator fan, noise on bearings don't stop. Possibly the fan can stop working soon affecting temperature of engine

- Duncanville, TX, USA

Dec 292015

Purchased 2016 Ford Explorer new. Has 4567 miles on it. Starting noticing a popping sound under foot floor board driver side whenever I first start the vehicle and move forward to about 7 miles per hour about two months after purchase. Noise does not happen anytime after the first pop while driving, only when you first start the vehicle and move forward at about 7 mph. Took to Ford dealer to have the noise checked out they adjusted the front bridge link bolt as per tsb 15-0186 and said the noise was gone. I went to pick up the vehicle and as soon as I moved forward at about 7mph the popping noise came back. Talked to service writer and he talked to someone else and they said that this was a normal noise and all 2106 Explorer did this. They got another 2016 Explorer like mine from the lot and sure enough it made the same popping noise right around 7 mph. I guess Ford does not build quality products like advertised. Hard to believe a $35,000 vehicle would make popping noises when new. My advice is "do not" but any Ford products especially the Explorer.

- Wilmington, OH, USA