8.1

2016 Ford Explorer miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Ford Explorer:

2016 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 202016

Explorer

Excelleration on an incline, hill or passing other vehicles, cab fills with nauseous fumes. Smells like a bad cat converter. The fumes can be overpowering. Took the vehicle back to lake havasu city bradley Ford dealership. Car was returned to us with assurance the problem had been resolved, it hasn't, the problem continues. We Transport our 3 grandchildren 60 miles in this vehicle on a highway that has steep inclines and now fear endangering their health as well as our own, we are seniors. Was informed that the engineers at Ford are working on the problem, but the tsb had been performed that cuts the ac recycle feature off upon engine load, but we are still getting that smell. I can't express more concern about how unsafe this co problem is. I can't risk the health of my grandchildren or ourselves. Ford either needs to refund my money or offer a permanent fix to the problem. These are rolling gas chambers. May try to undo the deal on this car. They have had to do this on another customers vehicle because of this problem

- Lake Havasu City, AZ, USA

Apr 012016

Explorer

Exhaust is seeping into the cabin with the ac recirc button engaged. This is the same problem that is occurring to the 2015 and prior model years.

- Fleming Island, FL, USA

Sep 012016

Explorer

I have owned a 2016 Ford Explorer XLT for approximately 10 months... during this time every time I excelerate there is a very strong burning smell. Of coarse bringing it to the dealer did nothing. They told me may be a sticker on engine burning.... after 10 months the smell is still as strong as the first week.. I was even asked by a police officer who had pulled me over for a lisence plate cover, that my car smelled of marijuana! this all while having children and grand parents in the car!

- Canton, GA, USA

Oct 142016

Explorer

I smell exhaust when passing someone on open road, or entering a freeway. I have called Ford multiple times, and have an open case. They do not return my calls, I have taken my car to the dealer twice where they tell me its fixed it lasts about a week and the smell returns. I recently had it in the shop a second time and I smell the exhaust again. I am now calling them a third time due to this smell, but I am getting no where. This can not be safe for me to keep smelling this exhaust. This vehicle was purchased brand new, it was not a used vehicle.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Aug 282015

Explorer

Purchased the 2016 Ford Explorer and noticed strong exhaust fumes in the cabin. Concerned about our health, went to the dealership and was told that Ford would not do anything until the vehicle had 3,000 miles on it. Researched ¿exhaust fumes in Ford Explorer¿ and discovered that ¿Ford named in class action lawsuit over leak of carbon monoxide in passenger compartments of Explorer vehicles¿, angela sanchez-knutson vs. Ford Motor Company. The lawsuit includes 2011-15 Ford Explorer. Then went to the management with this information, was told that only 'some' Explorer were affected so we asked them to replace the Explorer with one that 'did not' have the exhaust fumes problem. Was told it was not possible because the vehicle had been titled. Demanded that the vehicle be repaired but after 6 attempts of which 2 were with the field service engineer, we were told that there is "no fix". good luck to us. After 6th attempt, the fumes are worse than ever.

- Lake Alfred, FL, USA

Oct 122015

Explorer

When accelerating over 3500 RPM smoke gases come inside the cabin it started when I acquired the vehicle and hasn't stopped ever since

Oct 012016

Explorer

Electronic throttle recall (16B32)---was driving on the 5 North freeway, and had just merged onto the 55 North when the car lost power. (I pushed the gas, but the car could no longer accelerate)--all power was gone. I was, thankfully, able to move over to the right side of the freeway. I called aaa, and was eventually towed out of there (to Ford dealership where I originally purchased the 2016 Ford Explorer.) Ford dealership told me there was "new" recall regarding my vehicle (electronic throttle body repair)---left car on Saturday. (said I could not get a rental since it was 2:58pm.) went to get a rental car at dealership today (Monday after 2:30pm), but was told the car was ready to go home. I was invoiced at 3:14pm today. Please look at page 1 --it says that work: "began:10-1-16 done:10-1-16", cause: Recall correction: Reprogram PCM"-----)*********technician time spent: 15:23 to 15:43****** did not replace the part ( electronic throttle body repair********this is very dangerous----people can get killed on the freeway by getting hit by other cars (if their car were to suddenly lose power in the passing lane---------or on any lane on the highway for that matter). Dealership knows about the recall and they still did not replace the electronic throttle.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Jul 012016

Explorer

( I am experiencing with my 2016 Ford) I began having trouble with exhaust leak in air condition however dealer was not able to repair due to Ford has not issued any manuals how to fix this particular problem and dealer advised there is nothing they can do. This problem creates a serious safety hazard.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 172016

Explorer

When accelerating beyond 3000 RPM, exhaust gases are allowed into vehicle cabin. No fix from Ford as of yet.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Feb 182016

Explorer

I have a 2016 Ford Explorer, when I exceed 3000 RPM there will be strong exhaust smell coming through the A/C ventilation system, I went to the dealership three times they didn't fix it, I have four kids ages 5 months to 12 years.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Aug 312015

Explorer

Fumes entering the passenger compartment. During acceleration and engine rpms above 3K. Documented at the Ford dealer trying to fix the problem. This is an every day occurrence.

- Culpeper, VA, USA

Jun 132016

Explorer

I have to major complaints with the Ford Explorer 2016. The truck was purchased brand new. The first occurred when I was on my way to work about 7:30am. I was driving about 60 miles per on hour on a city street and all of a sudden a wrench symbol shows and the car will not accelerate anymore. I had never seen this symbol before so I wasn't sure what was going on and could not find it in the manual. Before this I only could go about 5 miles per hour max speed. When I googled the wrench many others had the same issue. I am sure Ford is aware of this and should had said something about this before we purchased it. I had to end up leaving the Explorer up at Ford for 2 and a half weeks. When I googled the issue it said these Explorer have a faulty throttle body that has to be replaced and my vehicle was no different. Me and my wife shouldn't have to make monthly payments on a brand new vehicle that has a known issue. Secondly, once we hit about 8,000 miles the hood makes a loud buzzing/humming sound once you hit about 60 miles per hour that does not stop!!! many other people with this vehicle have the same problem once I googled this! this is absolutely ridiculous. This vehicle should be recalled and not sold! our entire trip this vehicle made the sound nonstop. A person should not have to hear this the entire time on a brand new vehicle that you make monthly payments on. Something should be done about this. Since Ford does not want to voluntarily issue a recall like they should, an involuntary recall should be issued. When I googled this, it is said that the sound comes from the thin part of the hood in the center that is between two thicker pieces that causes it to vibrate. Horrible design and should have been tested better.

- Midway, FL, USA

Jul 212016

Explorer

Shortly after purchasing a new 2016 Ford Explorer we began to smell exhaust fumes on my, my wife and year and a half old daughters clothing after having been in the cabin with the rear A/C turned on. Unsure of where the smell was coming from, we ezliminated the possibility of the odor being caused from loading the baby in while having the vehicle running by not starting the vehicle until we were all in. After a few short minutes of driving we would have the same exhaust smell on all of our clothing. In addition there were plumes of black smoke coming out of the exhaust every time I accelerated from a stop. Although the two items may not be linked, the fact we are experiencing this at less than 5K miles is more than unsettling, not to mention a possible exposure to carbon monoxide. I fear for the health of my family and any other families where this situation is occurring. Ford is clueless, and currently is offering no means of testing the cabin for exhaust emissions. Our dealership has had the vehicle for a week and have offered nothing more than a shot in the dark fix to the issue, with no direction or promise of a fix.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 152016

Explorer

I have a 2015 Ford Explorer that I bought new. I have had it in the shop three times now, for exhaust fumes in the cabin. I just recently picked it up Thursday. They replaced the exhaust mufflers with turn down exhaust. We ask the service manager if he drove it. To see if that fixed the problem. He said no, but he had all the confidence that this will work. Well guess what, it didn't! now I have another call into the service department. I have a vacation trip planned with my grandkids coming up. This is so annoying to pay so much for a car that stays in the shop more than on the road. I love my Explorer, but I can't keep dealing with this problem. Plus not having a car to drive, but still making the payments. This is a Ford problem that should be fixed, plus give the customer another car to drive.

- Dora, AL, USA

Jul 162016

Explorer

Husband was driving the vehicle was about to accelerate to get up a hill on a city street and engine sounded like transmission or other major part just "dropped". steering wheel froze, car idled violently, could not move vehicle, started to roll backwards until emergency brake was applied.acceleration went to literally zero, SUV would not move. Orange wrench light came on, stated to see manual.placed car in park shut off engine and waited and started at back up again. Scarry stuff, 2 children 2 and younger in vehicle. Won't let me input on next page, approximately 25-30 miles an hour, SUV has 5,500 miles on

- Redondo Beach, CA, USA

Jul 142016

Explorer

With only 3.9 K miles the vehicle stopped acceleration and turned off. I was able to turn the car on, however, the vehicle would only move at idle speed while in drive. Fortunately I had enough to idle my way to the side of the road. The part that went out was the throttle body. Although the manufacturer replaced the part on the vehicle, I feel that they have been very irresponsible in not recalling this part and advising buyers that the car has a "faulty" throttle body. Everyone at Ford that I have spoke to almost immediately knew what the issue leading me to believe that I am not the only person that has had this issue. This issue could have caused a severe accident if the car would have shut off or de-ccelerated while driving at a high rate of speed.

Jul 092016

Explorer

I was driving close to my house and almost caused a big accident while I had my children on board. The car stopped completely ( suddenly stopped) and lost power, I was lucky that not accident occurred ( can U imagine if I was in the miami expressway and that happened). I'm attaching a pic showing the check engine, wrench light that came on while I was driving. I did some research online and found out that many americans are having the same issues, it is a defective throttle body that causes the vehicle to slow down and shutdown at any time. Ford is already aware of the problem and you guys more likely are aware too. What are you guys waiting to issue a recall"? waiting for someone to die"

Jul 082016

Explorer

Exhaust or burning smell inside interior cabin when accelerating.

- La Villa, TX, USA

Dec 012015

Explorer

On my 2016 Explorer limited 3.5 N/a V6 - under hard (getting on fwy) or extended acceleration (uphill climb) exhaust fumes can be noticed by the passengers in the vehicle. I know there is an open investigation on the 11-15 years but the 16 should be included as well. This has been the case from new to current 11K miles. This happened on my previous 2013 model as well.

- Avondale, AZ, USA

Mar 052016

Explorer

The 2016 model also has the odor from the ventilation which is investigated now. The odor occurs during driving at regular methods after the engine can heat up for a few miles. This "new car" smell was called regular heating of new parts by the salesman but now it has been 3000 miles and he odor is still happening. I just want the 2016 to be checked out for emission troubles to maintain a safe ride for family members.

- Newton, IA, USA