7.8

2016 Ford Explorer miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Ford Explorer:

2016 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 172017

Explorer

When accelerating exhaust fumes enter cabin. This happens no matter if the ac is on or off and no matter if the vent is on or off. Vehicle has been to Ford dealership twice resulting in them keeping it 43 working days. The vehicle has been doing this since purchased. We purchased this Explorer new however it had approximately 160 miles on it. We originally thought the smell was just the new wearing or the engine breaking in, but after a few thousand miles it was evident something is not right. I know all Explorer don't have this problem because I previously had a 2013 Explorer as a company vehicle identical to this one and it never had this problem. The dealership finally told me to come get the vehicle because they have done everything Ford told them to do to fix it. They said I will have to take it up with Ford customer service. I'm not sure if carbon monoxide is entering the vehicle but you can stand at the rear of the vehicle while it is running and the smell coming from the exhaust is the same smell that enters the vehicle when accelerating. The smell is very harsh smells like burnt hair or sulfur. On long trips my wife has had severe headaches. This Explorer is the vehicle my wife and kids (ages 14, 5, & 2) use to get to work and school; I need to get this vehicle repaired or replaced. Please help!!

- Brandon, MS, USA

Oct 032016

Explorer

Since early October 2016, I've had a near-constant exhaust smell, similar to what natural gas or sulfur smells like, in the cabin of my vehicle that is resulting in headaches (literally) for my entire family. Dealership has made multiple attempts to repair and has been unsuccessful. The exhaust fumes are coming into the cabin when the engine is started and vehicle is parked or moving. In my online research, I've found that Ford is under investigation by NHTSA for this issue for 2010-15 models, but I believe my 2016 model is affected as well.

- Mount Horeb, WI, USA

Jan 052017

Explorer

I just got back my vehicle from the dealerships service center and according to their finding their was an issue with the vehicles starter. I drove home parked the car in the garage then turned off the ignition. The vehicle would turn off, so I pushed the start button again but still did not turn off then seconds later I smell smoke. I immediately backed up to have the car outside the garage. I hit the start button again to turn off and this time the engine shut down. Heavy smoke was coming out of the engine compartment so I just stood at a distance. 10-30 minutes later as the smoke subsided I decided to pop the hood open and still there's smoke from the engine compartment. I have a video but cannot attach.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Dec 272016

Explorer

While my 2016 Ford Explorer is running and stopped/parked the cabin fills up with exhaust. This only occurs while ac/heater fan is running at the same time. I took it to a Ford dealership and they did not find an exhaust leak. I would disagree with this. I placed a CO2 detector in the car while parked and the detector went off. I have read numerous complaints about the exhaust leaking into the cabin of Ford Explorer.

- Slinger, WI, USA

Jan 042017

Explorer

Ford Explorer - I know there was a class action lawsuit for 2011-2015 Explorer having an exhaust fume leak through the ac. Has the issue been fixed on the 2016 model" what has been done differently in the 2016 model to ensure this issue does not exist"

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Apr 132016

Explorer

Car has an awful smell when using the climate control, dealer said there was an exhaust leak int the turbo, they replaced the turbo and the smell still persist. Car has been at dealership for a month now. Smell is strongest when driving and climate control is on.

- Broomall, PA, USA

Oct 202016

Explorer

Excelleration on an incline, hill or passing other vehicles, cab fills with nauseous fumes. Smells like a bad cat converter. The fumes can be overpowering. Took the vehicle back to lake havasu city bradley Ford dealership. Car was returned to us with assurance the problem had been resolved, it hasn't, the problem continues. We Transport our 3 grandchildren 60 miles in this vehicle on a highway that has steep inclines and now fear endangering their health as well as our own, we are seniors. Was informed that the engineers at Ford are working on the problem, but the tsb had been performed that cuts the ac recycle feature off upon engine load, but we are still getting that smell. I can't express more concern about how unsafe this co problem is. I can't risk the health of my grandchildren or ourselves. Ford either needs to refund my money or offer a permanent fix to the problem. These are rolling gas chambers. May try to undo the deal on this car. They have had to do this on another customers vehicle because of this problem

- Lake Havasu City, AZ, USA

Apr 012016

Explorer

Exhaust is seeping into the cabin with the ac recirc button engaged. This is the same problem that is occurring to the 2015 and prior model years.

- Fleming Island, FL, USA

Sep 012016

Explorer

I have owned a 2016 Ford Explorer XLT for approximately 10 months... during this time every time I excelerate there is a very strong burning smell. Of coarse bringing it to the dealer did nothing. They told me may be a sticker on engine burning.... after 10 months the smell is still as strong as the first week.. I was even asked by a police officer who had pulled me over for a lisence plate cover, that my car smelled of marijuana! this all while having children and grand parents in the car!

- Canton, GA, USA

Oct 142016

Explorer

I smell exhaust when passing someone on open road, or entering a freeway. I have called Ford multiple times, and have an open case. They do not return my calls, I have taken my car to the dealer twice where they tell me its fixed it lasts about a week and the smell returns. I recently had it in the shop a second time and I smell the exhaust again. I am now calling them a third time due to this smell, but I am getting no where. This can not be safe for me to keep smelling this exhaust. This vehicle was purchased brand new, it was not a used vehicle.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Aug 282015

Explorer

Purchased the 2016 Ford Explorer and noticed strong exhaust fumes in the cabin. Concerned about our health, went to the dealership and was told that Ford would not do anything until the vehicle had 3,000 miles on it. Researched ¿exhaust fumes in Ford Explorer¿ and discovered that ¿Ford named in class action lawsuit over leak of carbon monoxide in passenger compartments of Explorer vehicles¿, angela sanchez-knutson vs. Ford Motor Company. The lawsuit includes 2011-15 Ford Explorer. Then went to the management with this information, was told that only 'some' Explorer were affected so we asked them to replace the Explorer with one that 'did not' have the exhaust fumes problem. Was told it was not possible because the vehicle had been titled. Demanded that the vehicle be repaired but after 6 attempts of which 2 were with the field service engineer, we were told that there is "no fix". good luck to us. After 6th attempt, the fumes are worse than ever.

- Lake Alfred, FL, USA

Oct 122015

Explorer

When accelerating over 3500 RPM smoke gases come inside the cabin it started when I acquired the vehicle and hasn't stopped ever since

- Miami, FL, USA

Oct 012016

Explorer

Electronic throttle recall (16B32)---was driving on the 5 North freeway, and had just merged onto the 55 North when the car lost power. (I pushed the gas, but the car could no longer accelerate)--all power was gone. I was, thankfully, able to move over to the right side of the freeway. I called aaa, and was eventually towed out of there (to Ford dealership where I originally purchased the 2016 Ford Explorer.) Ford dealership told me there was "new" recall regarding my vehicle (electronic throttle body repair)---left car on Saturday. (said I could not get a rental since it was 2:58pm.) went to get a rental car at dealership today (Monday after 2:30pm), but was told the car was ready to go home. I was invoiced at 3:14pm today. Please look at page 1 --it says that work: "began:10-1-16 done:10-1-16", cause: Recall correction: Reprogram PCM"-----)*********technician time spent: 15:23 to 15:43****** did not replace the part ( electronic throttle body repair********this is very dangerous----people can get killed on the freeway by getting hit by other cars (if their car were to suddenly lose power in the passing lane---------or on any lane on the highway for that matter). Dealership knows about the recall and they still did not replace the electronic throttle.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Jul 012016

Explorer

( I am experiencing with my 2016 Ford) I began having trouble with exhaust leak in air condition however dealer was not able to repair due to Ford has not issued any manuals how to fix this particular problem and dealer advised there is nothing they can do. This problem creates a serious safety hazard.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 172016

Explorer

When accelerating beyond 3000 RPM, exhaust gases are allowed into vehicle cabin. No fix from Ford as of yet.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Feb 182016

Explorer

I have a 2016 Ford Explorer, when I exceed 3000 RPM there will be strong exhaust smell coming through the A/C ventilation system, I went to the dealership three times they didn't fix it, I have four kids ages 5 months to 12 years.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Aug 312015

Explorer

Fumes entering the passenger compartment. During acceleration and engine rpms above 3K. Documented at the Ford dealer trying to fix the problem. This is an every day occurrence.

- Culpeper, VA, USA

Jun 132016

Explorer

I have to major complaints with the Ford Explorer 2016. The truck was purchased brand new. The first occurred when I was on my way to work about 7:30am. I was driving about 60 miles per on hour on a city street and all of a sudden a wrench symbol shows and the car will not accelerate anymore. I had never seen this symbol before so I wasn't sure what was going on and could not find it in the manual. Before this I only could go about 5 miles per hour max speed. When I googled the wrench many others had the same issue. I am sure Ford is aware of this and should had said something about this before we purchased it. I had to end up leaving the Explorer up at Ford for 2 and a half weeks. When I googled the issue it said these Explorer have a faulty throttle body that has to be replaced and my vehicle was no different. Me and my wife shouldn't have to make monthly payments on a brand new vehicle that has a known issue. Secondly, once we hit about 8,000 miles the hood makes a loud buzzing/humming sound once you hit about 60 miles per hour that does not stop!!! many other people with this vehicle have the same problem once I googled this! this is absolutely ridiculous. This vehicle should be recalled and not sold! our entire trip this vehicle made the sound nonstop. A person should not have to hear this the entire time on a brand new vehicle that you make monthly payments on. Something should be done about this. Since Ford does not want to voluntarily issue a recall like they should, an involuntary recall should be issued. When I googled this, it is said that the sound comes from the thin part of the hood in the center that is between two thicker pieces that causes it to vibrate. Horrible design and should have been tested better.

- Midway, FL, USA

Jul 212016

Explorer

Shortly after purchasing a new 2016 Ford Explorer we began to smell exhaust fumes on my, my wife and year and a half old daughters clothing after having been in the cabin with the rear A/C turned on. Unsure of where the smell was coming from, we ezliminated the possibility of the odor being caused from loading the baby in while having the vehicle running by not starting the vehicle until we were all in. After a few short minutes of driving we would have the same exhaust smell on all of our clothing. In addition there were plumes of black smoke coming out of the exhaust every time I accelerated from a stop. Although the two items may not be linked, the fact we are experiencing this at less than 5K miles is more than unsettling, not to mention a possible exposure to carbon monoxide. I fear for the health of my family and any other families where this situation is occurring. Ford is clueless, and currently is offering no means of testing the cabin for exhaust emissions. Our dealership has had the vehicle for a week and have offered nothing more than a shot in the dark fix to the issue, with no direction or promise of a fix.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 152016

Explorer

I have a 2015 Ford Explorer that I bought new. I have had it in the shop three times now, for exhaust fumes in the cabin. I just recently picked it up Thursday. They replaced the exhaust mufflers with turn down exhaust. We ask the service manager if he drove it. To see if that fixed the problem. He said no, but he had all the confidence that this will work. Well guess what, it didn't! now I have another call into the service department. I have a vacation trip planned with my grandkids coming up. This is so annoying to pay so much for a car that stays in the shop more than on the road. I love my Explorer, but I can't keep dealing with this problem. Plus not having a car to drive, but still making the payments. This is a Ford problem that should be fixed, plus give the customer another car to drive.

- Dora, AL, USA