2016 Ford Explorer miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Ford Explorer:

2016 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 122015

When accelerating over 3500 RPM smoke gases come inside the cabin it started when I acquired the vehicle and hasn't stopped ever since

Oct 012016

Electronic throttle recall (16B32)---was driving on the 5 North freeway, and had just merged onto the 55 North when the car lost power. (I pushed the gas, but the car could no longer accelerate)--all power was gone. I was, thankfully, able to move over to the right side of the freeway. I called aaa, and was eventually towed out of there (to Ford dealership where I originally purchased the 2016 Ford Explorer.) Ford dealership told me there was "new" recall regarding my vehicle (electronic throttle body repair)---left car on Saturday. (said I could not get a rental since it was 2:58pm.) went to get a rental car at dealership today (Monday after 2:30pm), but was told the car was ready to go home. I was invoiced at 3:14pm today. Please look at page 1 --it says that work: "began:10-1-16 done:10-1-16", cause: Recall correction: Reprogram PCM"-----)*********technician time spent: 15:23 to 15:43****** did not replace the part ( electronic throttle body repair********this is very dangerous----people can get killed on the freeway by getting hit by other cars (if their car were to suddenly lose power in the passing lane---------or on any lane on the highway for that matter). Dealership knows about the recall and they still did not replace the electronic throttle.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Jul 012016

( I am experiencing with my 2016 Ford) I began having trouble with exhaust leak in air condition however dealer was not able to repair due to Ford has not issued any manuals how to fix this particular problem and dealer advised there is nothing they can do. This problem creates a serious safety hazard.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 172016

When accelerating beyond 3000 RPM, exhaust gases are allowed into vehicle cabin. No fix from Ford as of yet.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Feb 182016

I have a 2016 Ford Explorer, when I exceed 3000 RPM there will be strong exhaust smell coming through the A/C ventilation system, I went to the dealership three times they didn't fix it, I have four kids ages 5 months to 12 years.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Aug 312015

Fumes entering the passenger compartment. During acceleration and engine rpms above 3K. Documented at the Ford dealer trying to fix the problem. This is an every day occurrence.

- Culpeper, VA, USA

Jun 132016

I have to major complaints with the Ford Explorer 2016. The truck was purchased brand new. The first occurred when I was on my way to work about 7:30am. I was driving about 60 miles per on hour on a city street and all of a sudden a wrench symbol shows and the car will not accelerate anymore. I had never seen this symbol before so I wasn't sure what was going on and could not find it in the manual. Before this I only could go about 5 miles per hour max speed. When I googled the wrench many others had the same issue. I am sure Ford is aware of this and should had said something about this before we purchased it. I had to end up leaving the Explorer up at Ford for 2 and a half weeks. When I googled the issue it said these Explorer have a faulty throttle body that has to be replaced and my vehicle was no different. Me and my wife shouldn't have to make monthly payments on a brand new vehicle that has a known issue. Secondly, once we hit about 8,000 miles the hood makes a loud buzzing/humming sound once you hit about 60 miles per hour that does not stop!!! many other people with this vehicle have the same problem once I googled this! this is absolutely ridiculous. This vehicle should be recalled and not sold! our entire trip this vehicle made the sound nonstop. A person should not have to hear this the entire time on a brand new vehicle that you make monthly payments on. Something should be done about this. Since Ford does not want to voluntarily issue a recall like they should, an involuntary recall should be issued. When I googled this, it is said that the sound comes from the thin part of the hood in the center that is between two thicker pieces that causes it to vibrate. Horrible design and should have been tested better.

- Midway, FL, USA

Jul 212016

Shortly after purchasing a new 2016 Ford Explorer we began to smell exhaust fumes on my, my wife and year and a half old daughters clothing after having been in the cabin with the rear A/C turned on. Unsure of where the smell was coming from, we ezliminated the possibility of the odor being caused from loading the baby in while having the vehicle running by not starting the vehicle until we were all in. After a few short minutes of driving we would have the same exhaust smell on all of our clothing. In addition there were plumes of black smoke coming out of the exhaust every time I accelerated from a stop. Although the two items may not be linked, the fact we are experiencing this at less than 5K miles is more than unsettling, not to mention a possible exposure to carbon monoxide. I fear for the health of my family and any other families where this situation is occurring. Ford is clueless, and currently is offering no means of testing the cabin for exhaust emissions. Our dealership has had the vehicle for a week and have offered nothing more than a shot in the dark fix to the issue, with no direction or promise of a fix.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 152016

I have a 2015 Ford Explorer that I bought new. I have had it in the shop three times now, for exhaust fumes in the cabin. I just recently picked it up Thursday. They replaced the exhaust mufflers with turn down exhaust. We ask the service manager if he drove it. To see if that fixed the problem. He said no, but he had all the confidence that this will work. Well guess what, it didn't! now I have another call into the service department. I have a vacation trip planned with my grandkids coming up. This is so annoying to pay so much for a car that stays in the shop more than on the road. I love my Explorer, but I can't keep dealing with this problem. Plus not having a car to drive, but still making the payments. This is a Ford problem that should be fixed, plus give the customer another car to drive.

- Dora, AL, USA

Jul 162016

Husband was driving the vehicle was about to accelerate to get up a hill on a city street and engine sounded like transmission or other major part just "dropped". steering wheel froze, car idled violently, could not move vehicle, started to roll backwards until emergency brake was applied.acceleration went to literally zero, SUV would not move. Orange wrench light came on, stated to see manual.placed car in park shut off engine and waited and started at back up again. Scarry stuff, 2 children 2 and younger in vehicle. Won't let me input on next page, approximately 25-30 miles an hour, SUV has 5,500 miles on

- Redondo Beach, CA, USA

Jul 142016

With only 3.9 K miles the vehicle stopped acceleration and turned off. I was able to turn the car on, however, the vehicle would only move at idle speed while in drive. Fortunately I had enough to idle my way to the side of the road. The part that went out was the throttle body. Although the manufacturer replaced the part on the vehicle, I feel that they have been very irresponsible in not recalling this part and advising buyers that the car has a "faulty" throttle body. Everyone at Ford that I have spoke to almost immediately knew what the issue leading me to believe that I am not the only person that has had this issue. This issue could have caused a severe accident if the car would have shut off or de-ccelerated while driving at a high rate of speed.

Jul 092016

I was driving close to my house and almost caused a big accident while I had my children on board. The car stopped completely ( suddenly stopped) and lost power, I was lucky that not accident occurred ( can U imagine if I was in the miami expressway and that happened). I'm attaching a pic showing the check engine, wrench light that came on while I was driving. I did some research online and found out that many americans are having the same issues, it is a defective throttle body that causes the vehicle to slow down and shutdown at any time. Ford is already aware of the problem and you guys more likely are aware too. What are you guys waiting to issue a recall"? waiting for someone to die"

Jul 082016

Exhaust or burning smell inside interior cabin when accelerating.

- La Villa, TX, USA

Dec 012015

On my 2016 Explorer limited 3.5 N/a V6 - under hard (getting on fwy) or extended acceleration (uphill climb) exhaust fumes can be noticed by the passengers in the vehicle. I know there is an open investigation on the 11-15 years but the 16 should be included as well. This has been the case from new to current 11K miles. This happened on my previous 2013 model as well.

- Avondale, AZ, USA

Mar 052016

The 2016 model also has the odor from the ventilation which is investigated now. The odor occurs during driving at regular methods after the engine can heat up for a few miles. This "new car" smell was called regular heating of new parts by the salesman but now it has been 3000 miles and he odor is still happening. I just want the 2016 to be checked out for emission troubles to maintain a safe ride for family members.

- Newton, IA, USA

Jul 042016

When a strain is put on the engine, such as in passing gear, a burning rubber smell is emitted in the interior, even with the air conditioning in recirculate air in vehicle mode. In 2013 I dialogued with Ford headquarters about this same issue with a 2012 Explorer limited that I owned. In 2013 they sent me to royal oak Ford in royal oak. Mi and the service manager rode with me to observe the smell. They never offered any type of repair. I was hoping they would have solved this by 2016, however now with the warm summer weather this 2016 Explorer emits the putrid smell just as badly. It smell like the rubber padding on top of the engine is burning. Vehicle has 8,900 miles, purchased brand new 10/25/15.

- Berkley, MI, USA

Jun 072016

Burning exhaust smell entering into cabin of car when car is under hard acceleration/full throttle. Especially noticeable when accelerating onto a highway or climbing steep hills. This burning exhaust smell makes all passengers feel sick by affecting your respiratory passageways leaving a lump in your throat, burning your eyes, giving you a headache, and making you feel nauseous. The recent NHTSA investigation into 2011-2015 models, should also include 2016 models as well. Ford has failed to recognize this problem and has tried multiple times to "fix" my 2016 Ford Explorer. No resolution has been found and they have refused so far to take the car back.

- Long Valley, NJ, USA

Jun 022016

Throttle body failed on vehicle at highway speed. Lost all power in the middle of rush hour traffic barely missed a rear end collision from another vehicle because I could not accelerate.

- Washington, DC, USA

Sep 212015

My vehicle emits exhaust in the cabin while driving. Upon acceleration and deceleration, the exhaust smell is so potent, me and my passengers have to roll down the windows. I returned the vehicle the day after purchasing to the Ford dealership for repairs and have returned it for repairs many times since. They have sealed all openings under the vehicle, replaced the exhaust system, and replaced the vents in the bumper. Ford has acknowledged there is an issue with my Explorer, however, they are unable to fix it. My last repair visit in June 2016, I was notified that I need to come pick up my vehicle because they could do nothing else for it. They have tried to repair it and they are unable to repair the issue. This has caused various health issues for me, which include, headaches and nausea. Ford has ignored all of my request to resolve this issue. I am concerned I am being poisoned by exhaust.

- Kemp, TX, USA

Jun 112016

I was driving down the road at 60 mph and my car just lost all power. A wrench came on and said see owners manual. It happened 3 more times within the day. So scary for your car to just lose power while driving down the road. I had it towed to the shop and it was a throttle body malfunction, which apparently, Ford is aware of. Why isn't there a recall"! are they waiting for someone to die"

- Tuttle, OK, USA