2. replace transmission (2 reports)
2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac:

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Owner Comments

Sep 182015

Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L

This vehical was on our wish list for several years. We've only had it "used" a couple of years. The transmission started slipping and stalling. We've changed/treated the transmission fluid as well as the filter with no luck. Now it won't go in drive or reverse and when it was the rpms would fly but only allow it to go 35mph. :( Any idea please comment terrible frustrated.

- , Antigo, WI, USA

Dec 262013

Explorer Sport Trac

click to see larger images

transmission failure

I had this happen twice, I was going down hill and turned the O/D off. The truck started to shimmy and fishtail. The second time, resulting in the truck flipping. I tried writing to Ford asking about similar problems and the said take it to a dealer, it's kind of hard when the truck is totaled! So we still have to pay for a truck we don't have! Reading in here it seems this vehicle has lots of problems with the transmission and Ford is not owning up to it. Luckily, I was not hurt in the accident, but who knows next time this happens to someone else. Come on Ford, be responsible!

- , Honokaa, HI, USA

Feb 012009

Explorer Sport Trac LX 4.0L V6

I haven't even had this truck a year, still owe lots of money and the transmission is shot...At no fault of mine. I serviced absolutely everything on time. My mech. says he thinks it will make it worse to flush and change fluids. When he told me this is a common problem with these trucks I was shocked. This is my third ford and they have all been great trucks. I did no research on this type of truck prior to purchase and I am sorry now. Chevy has a new customer if I can ever pay this hunk of junk off and start over.

- , Yucaipa, CA, USA

Oct 082007

Explorer Sport Trac XLT V6

Had to put 2 in the 1993// Last Ford Exployer that I will buy

- , Broadway, NC, USA

Jun 162007

Explorer Sport Trac XLT V6

Mechanical Transmission failure after receiving O/D flashing light and Service Engine Soon. Began to slip in Drive and not shifting through all gears.

- , Everett, WA, USA

Feb 162007

Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L V6

At 60,000 miles the transmission started whining in first gear ( take off), Following at 79,000-80,000 second gear started to whine, 84,000 miles the 1st and 2nd gears went completely out. That is when i wanted to call the wrecking yard. Too bad I owed 10,000 on this vehicle. It is a nice vehicle in every other aspect to my needs but that damn transmission was worth a good chewing to Ford. This will be the last Sport Trac I own. Next is A Super Duty. If that goes wrong Here I come DODGE.

- , Bossier City, LA, USA