8.7

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac:

2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Owner Comments

Aug 072014

Explorer Sport Trac Limited V6

Never had such a major problem & everyone says they all do it. There is no recall on this problem. Feels like the rear end is going to drop out whenever you turn. Had it checked & no one can fix it, INCLUDING the place we bought it from.They said it's the worse car ever made after we bought it. We paid $7,000. Scared to death it will leave us flat & my husband is handicapped. Can't afford to have it fixed. A real lemon. The noise is very scary & the thumping is so hard the whole car shakes. Shifts so fast you're hardly moving. I have owned Ford Explorers many years, but never again. They seem to turn a deaf ear to the problem.. ashamed to own a Ford...

- , Clinton, CT, USA

Feb 222005

Explorer Sport Trac XLT 4.0L

Was sent a letter of recall to take to dealership.Upon bringing my vehicle home the next day i checked the fluid level while running as it is supposed to be done and noticed that it had way too much transmission fluid in it.I had to pay out of pocket to have a professional drain aprox.2 quarts of fluid because apparently all the dealership did was dump 2 extra quarts in it.The transmission in this vehicle still slips and lunges.I have had this vehicle new since day 1 and have had numerous problems since day 2 of purchase.I had to pay several thousands to repair myself within the first 3 years alone.I take excellent care of all my vehicles.I change the oil every 2k miles and follow all service guides.I still have this vehicle with only 46,445 miles on it.I only drive it close distances to home for as it is unreliable and definitely not built " Ford Tough".

- , Miami, FL, USA

Mar 152011

Explorer Sport Trac XLS 4.0L V6

Again, transmission slipping on a vehicle that has otherwise been a very reliable vehicle. With the volume of issues, why hasn't Ford issued a recall?

- , San Antonio, TX, USA