2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac:

2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Owner Comments

Jun 012011

Explorer Sport Trac

I purchased my Sport Trac in 2005. In 2011 I had approximately 36,000 miles on the vehicle and noticed a severe vibration which caught me off guard and made steering difficult doing about 60 mph. I replaced the tires but the vibration continued. I was told that Ford sent out a service memo stating this particular Ford model had a problem with the driveshaft and a new aluminum one was necessary. I contacted Ford but was told that it was not under warranty. Driving under these conditions was almost impossible. On June 15, I went to classic Ford Lincoln-Mercury and told them I needed an updated driveshaft. After it was installed the vibration continued and I went back to the dealership. They then installed the right aluminum driveshaft. My problem is that Ford knew about the driveshaft and the vibration it caused and had written a service memo about the problem. I know that my car had 36,000 miles but that is when the problem became serious. I believe that Ford Motor Co. Should stand behind its products and stop making excuses for the problems they caused. I think Ford motor should cover the cost of the aluminum driveshaft since I was made aware that Ford realized the car was equipped with the wrong one and failed to have a recall. Hopefully no serious accidents resulted from this Ford engineering error.

- Solon, OH, USA