2010 Ford Explorer Sport Trac drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Ford Explorer Sport Trac:

2010 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Owner Comments

Jun 012016

Explorer Sport Trac

I bought the truck new in May 2010. I had all the scheduled dealer maintenance completed as scheduled and the vehicle has never been off road. The four wheel drive has been engaged twice, and the majority of the miles have been on the highway. Thirty miles from ft leonard wood the transmission began slipping. The vehicle was sluggish when accelerating from a stopped position causing a hazard in city driving or merging onto the interstate. The vibration increased on the highway at speeds above 50 mph making it difficult to steer. When I arrived at my destination, I dropped it at the dealership the next day for service. The service representative called and informed two maintenance lights were on for engine and transmission service. I agreed to move forward with the scheduled maintenance. The dealership called later that day and informed me I needed a new transmission but could not explain what the codes meant or the cost of repair. I asked for clarification, but no one ever got back to me with an update. I received a text my truck was ready for pick up, but the staff could not explain the problem. I am now at day seven and after countless phone calls to the dealership and Ford customer service line. No one can explain the issue or offer assistance because the vehicle is not under warranty! my questions. Why is the transmission shot after only 37,000 miles" if it is replaced, what reassurance do I have this problem will not reoccur in another 37,000 miles? is there assistance for a drive train component replacement that is supposed to last 100,000 miles and likely defective? why is this a warranty issue and not a quality issue" the staff at the Ford customer service center try to keep bouncing back to the dealership and refuse to put me in contact with the regional manager or supervision staff.

- Waynesville, MO, USA

Apr 182015

Explorer Sport Trac 8-cyl

Coasting to stop at intersection transmission did not disengage and engine suddenly accelerated to 2000 RPM. Held brakes and rear tires spun. I knocked trans into neutral and engine returned to normal. It has done this twice in 2 days. No floor mats and no contact with accelerator pedal. I did have a witness to this incident. Uncommanded acceleration -very bad! is there a recall for this already?

- San Antonio, TX, USA