1996 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1996 Ford F-150:

1996 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Jan 052010

F-150 Larait 4.6L V8

I put two quarts of fresh oil in the truck when I first bought it off the previous owner then drove it to Bellingham from Tacoma. I had to put four more quarts of oil in the engine one month down the road. I drove the truck 150 miles, maybe. I don't see any leaks and just had the coolant flushed ( the mechanic found an inch of sludge in the coolant tank). Now that winter is over I find the check engine light on and the oil being used more quickly than normal. Or is it normal for a 14 year old engine with 209,000 miles on it to need that much fresh oil that often? Somebody give me some feedback on what to inspect and what might fix my dilemma.

- , Ketchikan, AK, USA