7.3

1. thread insert repair kit (8 reports)
1997 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 Ford F-150:

1997 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Aug 162016

F-150 Crew Cab 4.6L

THIS IS STUPID, MY SPARK PLUG BLEW CLEAN OUT OF ITS HOLE.

- , Lima, OH, USA

Jan 032016

F-150 4.6L

This was a NEW FORD FACTORY CRATE MOTOR with less than 3500 miles!?! The Morgan Ford dealership told me this was not covered by the 100,000 mile 3 year warranty??

- , Clinton, UT, USA

Jun 142013

F-150 5.4L V8

Spark plug blew while traveling out of town. Had to get help to get the truck towed to a local mechanic who did a great job, but annoying that the problem even occurred. Never had anything like that happen to me before. But then it happened again to another plug less than a year later on, the same truck. After that, I had a local mechanic check and replace all my plugs to be sure they were all installed properly. Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't happen again.

- , Layton, UT, USA

Feb 142014

F-150 5.4L V8

Spark plug blew out a second time. This time on the way to work, so at least I was close to home to have my local mechanic do the repair.

- , Layton, UT, USA

Sep 252015

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

I have never heard of having the spark plugs blow out of the engine. I have owned older vehicles for many years and have visited many parts yards and have yet to see one that had a spark plug blown out. Ford should of recalled this problem years ago, no matter what the mileage on the engine - IT SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN ! - I thought the ad read "BUILT FORD TOUGH" This should include all parts of the vehicle. My Uncle, who worked for Ford many years in St Paul, was very proud of what he built, is now rolling over in his grave. He is the reason I bought a Ford Truck in the first place, his loyalty topped none. I would hope you have done better in newer trucks. How about the other manufacturers of vehicles - do they eject plugs like this? I may have to rethink the brand of vehicle when I replace this one, but I keep thinking My uncle Lowell would want me to stick to his brand. I'm just disappointed.

- , Hutchinson, USA

Aug 062015

F-150 Lariat 4.6L V8

It was the first time I had taken my truck for a long trip in a long time and it was on the way home. About 150 miles from home the #2 plug blew out, I got out and disconnected the fuel injector and hit the highway again 30 miles from home the #3 plug blew out in a traffic jam, truck stalling constantly, move 10 ft. stall, start up move 10 ft, stall. I was ready to kill at that point.

- , Henrico, VA, USA

Apr 122015

F-150 4x4 4.6L V8

Driving under normal conditions with no load at 45 mph and heard a bang from the engine compartment. Truck sputtered and stumbled... sounded like a helicopter on the ground... and I pulled over and shut it off. Found #3 spark plug out of the boot and laying by itself. SP boot was burnt and covered in soot, as was the Spark plug.

- , Blacksburg, SC, USA

Jul 272014

F-150 5.4L

FORD, Fix or repair Daily. One of Ford's better Ideas.

- , Lexington, TN, USA

Jun 012010

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

The ford 5.4L piece of crap keeps spitting out spark plugs. After the 1st time i found out there is so many problems with the spark plugs and ford isn't doing anything about it. I will no longer purchase another ford vehicle ever again. The over head cam motor is too difficult to work on for the average mechanically inclined person. Why does GM make same power & MPG will a push rod motor and ford can't?

- , Urbana, OH, USA

Apr 212011

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

Once again another spark plug flew out the mfer. Didn't cost any $ since I had to spend $500 for the kit I used the last year. This is the 2nd summer the P.O.S has broken down. I wish they would bring back the cash for clunkers program again. It seems to be the only way I would get any future use or $ out of the P.O.S.

- , Urbana, OH, USA

Aug 012008

F-150 F150 5.4L

ford needs to do a recall on the problem look up blown out sparkplug these guy are making a killing doing what ford should be doing

- , Cumming, GA, USA