1998 Ford F-150 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford F-150:

1998 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Mar 012007

F-150 6-cyl

My 1998 Ford F150 as soon as it got to 100,000 miles the oil pump goes out and it starts to loose coolant but not leaking it any where. As I have found out these engines between 80,000 and 100,000 do this. Many forums read the same problem for every 4.2L does this. I believe Ford should do a recall on these engines. Please let me know what to do.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Dec 232006

F-150 6-cyl

No events leading up to failure'sudden failure of spare tire retaining cable on personal truck. Cable snapped suddenly and without warning causing spare tire to fall from its stowed position beneath the truck. This caused the truck to become airborne briefly as the spare tire caught the rear bumper and lifted it. Had the spare tire not been additionally secured by an anti-theft cable the tire would definitely have been sent into other traffic behind me or in the oncoming lane. New tire was purchased by me but no other corrective action;dealer and manufacturer refused.

- Rogers, AR, USA

Apr 152003

I've had a problem with the doors cracking on both side and Ford tryed to fix them, but one side has crcked again and the finsh "'sucks". they put filler (bondo)in the doors and the passenger side has crcked again.I was not happy about the filler because there wasn't any filler when I bought the truck. Now the paint on the roof is cracking and peeling off the metal and starting to rush bad at the top of the windshield area. I took it in and the dealer told me or the factory rep. Said oh well we won't fix it. I was told the truck was not under any warranty.I have found several service bulletins on these problems but I guess Ford doesn't stand behind there product. I don't care how old a truck is or how long you have had it, the paint should never crack and peel off the metal like mine is doing.I've seen cars in junk yards with better paint then mine has.

- Schenectady, NY, USA

Sep 152003

Paint showing crowsfoot all over the body, this vehicle came from Kansas City plant where there was a fault with the painting equipment( a factory defect). Ford aswell as the dealership ( franklin Ford, franklin N.C.)will not acknowledge it. I need to find out more about this equipment fault, can you please help me.

- Bryson City, NC, USA