4.0

1998 Ford F-150 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford F-150:

1998 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

May 132015

F-150

Shock upper mount simply fell off causing driver side rear shock to drag ground. After further inspection also noticed at the location of the rusted out mount location that the rear wiring for the tail light were severed causing truck to now be stuck in park. Also while inspecting noticed rear frame is simply falling apart and other areas throughout the frame are weak as well. This is a huge safety concern after doing research I am finding many accounts of the same issue online but no manufacture recalls. Why isn't Ford doing anything about this issue? I've never seen frames do this. Truck needs full frame replacement.

- Monterey, TN, USA

May 142011

F-150

Straps on gas tank broke, dropped front of gas tank on road while we were driving. Front of gas tank had hole when we pulled over spilling out 3/4 tank of gas, which almost went into drain at gas station we pulled over at, gas station attendant contained spill for us. Tow truck driver said we were lucky we didn't have a fire from dragging tank. I have 7 photos documenting scene at gas station and tank.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Jun 142008

F-150

One day my 1998 Ford F-150 with only 37,000 miles (I am the original owner)was working just fine. Several days later I get into the truck and I noticed the electric windows wouldn't go down, I assumed it was a fuse. No luck on that, all fuses good except the lighter fuse, which I don't use. When I got to my destination I couldn't get it into 4-wheel drive. When I was getting ready to leave I couldn't get the windshield wipers on when it was raining. I had no choice but to drive 30 miles home with no wipers in the rain, extremely hard to see to drive and very dangerous. I found info on the internet that pointed to the generic electronic module. A lot of other people were complaining of the same problem and worse on a online forum. This problem goes back to 1994 when Ford first started using this device. I ended up paying $600 for the dealer to replace the GEM that was obviously defective from the start, not to mention the danger of driving in the rain with no wipers. Ford has a recall on the 99 on up 250 and 350 with the same device, but they wouldn't honor this on the 98. They have decided to retool the device by taking the 4-wheel drive control out of this device as a stand alone control. I feel Ford should have replaced this at their expense in light of all the problems this has caused. Some have reported that their trucks have jumped into 4-low while driving on the road, others have said that they can't disengage 4-wheel after using the feature off road.

- Galena, OH, USA

Jul 202006

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Nothing to warn me of the impending failure. The spare tire cable snapped causing the spare to drop, flipping underneath the trailer-in-tow, causing the trailer to buck. Fortunately, the trailer recovered and no one was behind me. Should this have happened at a higher rate of speed with someone behind me and while carrying a load, it could have turned fatal. The failing part, the spare tire winch, has been replaced. I have counted a minimum of 10 other reports on this site of this failure. I believe a recall is in order.

- Liverpool, PA, USA

Sep 192004

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

See ODI 10091339 -in examining the failed part there was no evidence of corrosion causing a weakness of the cable. Rather, the retaining lug at the end of the cable appears to have sheared as a result of routine driving conditions over time. In purchasing a replacement part from Ford, I found that they have changed the design of the lift mechanism to add a tension relief spring to prevent the likely hood of a cable failure such as I experienced. Old part: F75Z*1A131 new part 2L3Z*1A131 this indicates their recognition that there was a design defect in the original part. As these vehicles age there will be increased chance of future failure from cable strain incurred during routine use.

- Falls Church, VA, USA

May 152004

F-150 6-cyl

The consumer heard a loud noise while driving 20-30 mph. The spare tire attached to the rear of the vehicle fell off. The cable securing the tire disconnected.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Jan 082003

F-150 6-cyl

The paint on the tail gate is coming off in sheets. Leaving just the primer coat. Not caused by rust or damage.

- Camp Lejeune, NC, USA

Nov 192003

F-150

The cable that holds the spare tire beneath the truck snapped and the tire bounced out onto oncoming traffic.

- Milwaukee, WA, USA

Feb 152000

F-150

The door ajar switch does not function properly. The door ajar dash light & interior lights remain on even when the door is fully closed. This causes a very dangerious situation, especialy at night when the interior lights are on and won't go off. I know that this is a wide spred problem and I have been adviced that Ford has a tsb on it. Everyone that I have talked to with a 97', 98', or 99' F-150 extended cab has had problems with this.

- Independence, MO, USA

Nov 062001

F-150

I went to the dealer and he was very aware of the problem and that he is also an F150 owner and that he cannot get Ford to fix his problems either. Whe I call Ford at 1800 392 3673 the lady that assisted me told me that she never heard of such problems. Which goes to show that Ford is just trying to hide the problem. I have bought and extended warranty which the dealer says it wont cover this failures, and that Ford is only replacing doors on vehicles that their warranty hasnot expired. From what I have gather, I am one in thousands of F150 owners with this type of structural damage and all we want is to have our problem fix.

- Miami, FL, USA

Dec 202000

F-150

Door ajar light, interior light, and cargo light stay on has if a door were open when all doors are all closed. If the key is in the ignition, and the ignition is off and the doors are shut, the chime/tone continues to go off.

- Belmont, NC, USA

Sep 011998

Floor mats slipped.

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Sep 151999

F-150

As soon as consumer starts vehicle the engine check light comes on and stays on. Engine it is running rough and down shifting. Contacted dealer.

- Hinckley, OH, USA

Feb 161999

No summary

- Golden, CO, USA

Oct 151998

F-150

The placement and color of the bright-light indicator allows it to be lost in the background of the other lights on the dash.

- Redding, CA, USA

Feb 011998

F-150

Driver's floor mat continually hung up throttle pedal causing throttle pedal to stick.

- Cave Creek, AZ, USA

Oct 041998

F-150 4WD

Driver parked vehicle and turned vehicle off; the next morning the fan was running and the airbag light would not go out; when driver started up the engine, the engine check light came on and the speedometer had stopped working.

- Carlisle B, PA, USA

May 011998

F-150

EA98018, the orignal floor mats slipped through, pushing the acclerator pedal which may cause an accident unexpectedly. Consumer stated when drivers floor mat slips foward toward the firewall, the accelerator pedal will stick and pull open when pressed to floor to pass another vehicle.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Apr 041998

F-150

PE98; alleged loss of throttle control; consumer states that the floor mat moves under driver's feet while driving.

- Bloomingdale, IL, USA

Apr 201998

F-150 4WD

Floor mat sticks underneath accelerator pedal, causing the pedal to stick to floor. Vehicle lost control, ran into ditch.

- Edina, MN, USA