2.6

1999 Ford F-150 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Ford F-150:

1999 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Jan 052009

F-150

ABS failure on a Ford 1999 F-150. I have had the ABS fail twice and this time it has been in the Ford dealers shop for over 30 days. It is at morristown Ford in morristown, tn.37814. Each time my brakes have failed and almost caused a serious accident. This time this repair was not at my fault, service writer stated it had moisture in the module and needs to be replaced? morristown replaced this module in Aug. 2007, I feel I was sold a defective part and now the ABS module needs to be replaced at a cost of over $600. I feel Ford should be responsible for this repair since the part that was replace must have been defective since service writer told me it was missing grease that should have prevented moisture. Please help!

- Russellville, TN, USA

Oct 012008

F-150 6-cyl

The contact owns a 1999 Ford F150. When the contact started the ignition, the anti-lock brake system warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The warning light remained lit until the engine was turned off. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who stated that the failure was related to the ABS module. The mechanic was unable to locate the part due to the manufacturer discontinuing the component. The technician attempted to search the salvage yard for a used part, but was unsuccessful. The vehicle is currently inoperative and has not been repaired. The contact was concerned of the safety risk involved. The failure and current mileages were 86,000. Updated 11/12/08 updated 11/18/08.

- Calhoun, GA, USA

Sep 012008

F-150

I was on a trip in Alabama traveling South on I-85 on September 2, 2008. I stopped for a break just North of montgomery. When I got on the on ramp to I-85, my left front tire suddenly went flat. I replaced the wheel with the spare and discovered that the wheel had been ripped open. I drove to the nearest Ford dealer in montgomery where they discovered that a brake caliper bolt had come out and caused the brake caliper to rip the wheel apart. I was extremely lucky to have been on the on ramp rather than traveling on the interstate at 70 miles an hour. This is the third time that the same caliper bolt has come out. The last time was in oneonta ala and was replaced by the local Ford dealer in oneonta. This is a dangerous safety problem that could have caused the death of two people.

- Stockbridge, GA, USA

May 072008

F-150

I went to drive my 1999 Ford F-150 last night, and the brake pedal went completely to the floor. No previous symptoms were evident. Upon inspection, it is evident the brake line along the frame to the rear wheels burst due to excessive corrosion. Further inspection showed that all of the other brake and fuel lines on the truck are electroplated, and maintain a silvery non corroded finish. However this line along the frame is obviously unplated, flaking chips of rusted steel, resulting in failure. Whether it was a design flaw, or manufacturing oversight, the unplated brake line could have had severe consequences.

- Merrimack, NH, USA

Aug 142006

F-150 8-cyl

: the contact stated the vehicle's brakes failed while attempting to stop at a residence. The brake pedal went to the floor. A local mechanic came to the contact's house and repaired the brake lines going to the left rear brakes. The mechanic informed the contact the fuel lines were rusted.

- Norwood, MA, USA

Jun 182004

F-150 6-cyl

Despite driving on primarily rural paved roads, brake problems (grabbing) occurred from the time of purchase. Brake problems were noted to the dealer at 34,000 miles and 39,000 miles, and the dealer responded by saying the brakes were either dirty or that the problem was the fact that it's a "light" truck. Near-accidents have occurred on at least two occasions when only 1 brake engaged. At 50,000 miles, the whole brake system has had to be replaced.

- Mt Iron, MN, USA

Sep 032003

F-150 8-cyl

Brakes lock up if the vehicle sits a couple days or when it rains.

- Lebanon, TN, USA

Jun 221999

F-150

The consumer state's while driving at 50 mph, another vehicle pulled out in front of the consumer vehicle and the consumer apply the brake's, and the consumer driver side air bag and the passager side air bag deploy and the consumer never hit the other vehicle.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA