8.3

2. heard helicoil is the best solution (6 reports)
  3. tap new threads where spark plug blew out of engine (5 reports)
  4. cylinder head repair kit (2 reports)
  5. replace cylinder head (1 reports)
1999 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Ford F-150:

1999 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 162016

F-150 5.7L

This truck is like new, it was really take care of. I was driving down the road about 55mph when it started running rough. I heard a bang in the engine, and then it really started running bad. It sound like I had a bad exhaust leak. I called a friend who is a mechanic and told him what happened. He told me I blew a spark plug and it is common with them. Well he was right, I discovered the last spark on the passenger side was missing. The boot was torn up and the coil pack was damaged. I have heard of fouled plugs, but not of one completely missing. Come on ford and man up!! If somebody would have been following me I would have been hit from behind. The road I was on did not have a lot of room to pull off, If this is how ford makes thing and stands behind them by not doing a recall. I'm going to get it fixed and trade it in on a new CHEVY!!!

- , Chassell, MI, USA

Aug 132016

F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8

I was cruising along the highway at approx 68 mph then initially I heard what sounded like a loud POP then immediately after sounded like I had a cracked manifold but not quite. Once I felt the power had dropped quite a bit I then realized my engine shot one of the spark-plugs. I pulled off into the first parking lot I could find and found it to be the #3 cylinder, it also wiped out the ignition coil too. The truck currently has 153,827 miles on it, I did have the plugs serviced at the Ford dealer I bought the truck from at around 120,000 miles Figuring they where genuine Ford techs and were well aware of this issue, I thought they would have a few ways to help avoid this problem (proper plug torque and etc...). Hence why I would pay someone else for an otherwise simple job, so for Ford to go and say this issue is caused by improper installation of spark-plugs is indeed bull$hit. As of now I ordered a repair kit Ford Triton Spark Plug Repair Kit 5553 by TIME-SERT, a set of ignition coils and a new spark plug for around $510 and will try my luck when they get here. As for Ford themselves I am very pist off at a company that still uses the slogan "Built Ford Tough" and yet lacks the accountability to own up and do something about a serious problem that has plagued so many other people for so long now. Other than that I've grown to like my F-150 a lot its been good to me so far up til now but I am also very disappointed in the same breath.

- , Milnor, ND, USA

Feb 252016

F-150 XLT 5.4L

Terrible design by Ford. They should pay to replace cylinder heads in all vehicles affected.

- , Meade, KS, USA

Feb 072016

F-150 XLT 5.4L

This is the fifth time this has happened. Something should be done this is expensive. I don't want a new truck.

- , Jesup, GA, USA

Dec 232015

F-150 Larait 5.4L

DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO FIX A PROBLEM THAT FORD SHOULD REPAIR.

- , Richmond, VA, USA

Dec 052015

F-150 5.4L

Not a rich person and now I have no vehicle to drive and need to get my kids to school, seems like this happens alot why is there no recall. Think its time to move away from Fords and this is my 7th.

- , Lancaster, CA, USA

Nov 142015

F-150 XLT 5.4L

Ford has known about this problem and no fixes or recalls have been made. the current fixes are temporary and the same spark plug and or another one can blow you. I will never ever buy another ford product they do not stand behind their product.

- , Kersey, CO, USA

Oct 202015

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

Just reported my 4th spark plug blowing only 4 weeks ago and now the 5th one has blown. NEVER will I buy another Ford.

- , Albemarle, NC, USA

Sep 172015

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

This was the 4th spark plug that has blown. After doing an internet search I see this is a problem that has happened a LOT. I do not understand why Ford has not done a recall with this.

- , Albemarle, NC, USA

May 012015

F-150 4x4 4.6L Triton

I HAD NO IDEA THIS WAS A PROBLEM WITH THE TRITON MOTORS. HAD I KNOWN, I WOULD HAVE TAKEN STEPS TO AVOID THIS. I THINK THERE SHOULD BE A RECALL ON THESE ENGINES. I AM READING THAT IT IS A PROBLEM WITH THESE MOTORS AND FORD SHOULD REPAIR WHETHER UNDER WARRANTY OR NOT.

- , Tempe, AZ, USA

May 012015

F-150 5.4L

5 times this truck has blown plugs out of engine!!! Left me stranded all 5 Times!!! Will never own another Ford!!!

- , vandergrift, PA, USA

Oct 012014

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

I am on a fixed income, just had an operation on my neck ! The plug blew out about a month, maybe two, before my operation was done. The cost to fix cost almost as much as the value of the truck ( $3000 -$3500).

It's been a long period of time and I still haven't got the money to solve this problem. Why Ford didn't recall all these engines and fix or buy them back, not leave them out here for people to purchase not knowing this engine can blow a plug like that? Dealers / Sellers needed to give the buyers a warning of the issues with this engine it can and will cause someone that don't know injury or? .

- , Baker, LA, USA

Apr 042011

F-150 4.6L

Have had vehicle since 1999. Never had any mechanical problems. I decided to keep the vehicle and replaced shocks, brakes, tires, alignment, new tires etc.Then vehicle's engine started missing, vibrating. Had it checked mechanic said something was not right with #4 plug. On repairing it, he said he used a helicoil. It ran for a couple of weeks. Then one day I heard a loud pop. Engine started vibrating bad. Looked under hood and found spark plug dangling by the plug wire.

Did some research and found that Ford did not have adequate threading on engine block. It has 4 threads instead of 8. This was found out by a man who supposedly filed a class action lawsuit in California. I have searched all over the web, time and time again, to see if there were any results on to no avail. What gives? Was someone paid off, or did Ford just blow it off hoping everyone would loose interest?

Needless to say I'm switching to Chevy. I had been with Ford for a long time but when all you get is lame excuses, it's time for a change. I still have my Ford truck waiting to save up 3200 dollars or more that they tell me fix it. But there is no guaranty they it will work as I hear that the blocks are iffy after many miles.

- , Poteet, TX, USA

Apr 242015

F-150 LX 5.4L

The plug has blown twice, had an insert out in and only lasted a few months. Now they say I need a new head and due to how then engine is mounted it has to be taken out to fix. Estimated cost $3,000

- , Lincoln, NE, USA

Apr 042015

F-150 EX 5.4L

This is the third time the engine has blown out a plug. I'm reporting this one only because I do not know the dates of the other two times, my mechanic can probably look them up.This is obviously a huge problem that MANY people have.

I have paid about $1200 to have the three blown spark plugs fixed. Since this is an inherent problem with Ford engines I feel they should reimburse all costumers, this should not be happening. I am just waiting for the next one to go, when I hear the familiar sound, call my mechanic and lose a few more hundred dollars.

Come on Ford, do the right thing!

- , Hurdle Mills, USA

Dec 182014

F-150 5.4L

FORD Found On Road Dead...... If you own a Ford vehicle you are driven a ticking time bomb at any given moment you can blow a spark plug right out It doesn't matter how fast or slow your going it can happen to you. So every time you start your vehicle, hope it won't happen and you get where you have to go safe. I recommend that you get AAA because this could happen ANYTIME regardless of your mileage........... Ford you suck for not taking responsibility for a bad engine head

- , Rockaway Park, NY, USA

Oct 292014

F-150 XLT 5.4L

2 spark plug blown out of head going down the highway. Apparently I'm not at all alone in this issue.

- , Jordan, MN, USA

Jan 202014

F-150 4 X 4 V6

In October of 2013 if looking at the motor on the left hand side # 2 plug Blew.....Luckily it blew in the driveway before I left to get on the Interstate....Cost $65.00 for the tow and $350.00 for a garage to put in a helicoil...Now, in Jan of 2014, again if you look at the motor another blew on the right hand side of motor...Blew such a chunk out the head cannot be fixed....Cost to fix this time will be low side...$1500.00 high side $2500.00....

My Mechanic has told me this is a big issue with Ford Motors from 1997-2005 Motors....Ford used cheap aluminum heads... I called Ford Complaint Dept. and I was told the only recall on this Vehicle is a Fuel Tank problem that My local Ford Dealer would Fix....I said...<<<>>If it ran maybe I could do just that!.....Ford KNEW They were producing Vehicles with cheap heads and that just really pisses Me off to no end...WE NEED A RECALL....THEY DID THIS TO SAVE MONEY WITH NO THOUGHT TO THE CONSUMER.....NOW.....What are We All going to do?....COMPLAIN EVERYDAY FOR A RECALL....1-800-392-3673...This is the number to Ford to Complain....Please.....Let's make THEM fix this!

- , Lyles, TN, USA

Nov 052012

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

Seems to be a big problem with the ford trucks. Ford wants $2000 to $3800 to fix a truck worth $4000. doesn't seem right to me.

- , El Cajon, CA, USA

Feb 292012

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

Spark plug blew out of right-rear cylinder (#8?). Hole is completely stripped out. Glad it happened in town and not out in the boonies where I usually am. Now I think I need to have a spare heli-coil kit in my repertoire when I go to the mountains. Sheesh!

If Ford knows about this, why haven't they fixed it yet?? Mine is a '99 but I've read of much newer Tritons having this same issue.

FIX THE FRIGGIN' PROBLEM FORD!! I have two F150's with the same engine and now don't feel real confident I won't blow a hole several hunderd miles from my shop.

CRAP!!!!!