2000 Ford F-150 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Ford F-150:

2000 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Mar 072009

F-150

The starter motor was engaging while the engine was running with the key in the run position. I had to disconnect the battery to stop it. The heater blower, parking lights, dash light and gauges, key chime, and radio would turn on and off by themselves without a key in the ignition. According to the Ford dealer, this was all caused by water leaking in from the windshield causing the fuse block and GEM module to short out. They said it was a common occurrence with windshield leaks on 2000 Ford F-150's. they had to remove the windshield and reseal it and replace starter, fuse block, and GEM module. This windshield was also resealed 2 weeks after buying this vehicle brand new from the dealer in 2000.

- Saint John, IN, USA

Feb 102008

F-150

The contact owns a 2000 Ford F-150. On February 10, 2009, the vehicle caught fire while parked. The fire originated underneath the hood. The fire department issued case number 09-0000089 and stated that the fire was caused by the electrical wiring cluster. A report was filed with the manufacturer and they stated that the contact would receive a package within 15 business days. The failure and current mileages were 200,000.

- Abbeville , SC, USA

Oct 012008

F-150

The contact owns a 2000 Ford F-150. The contact has been experiencing multiple electrical system failures. The locks and windshield wipers worked sporadically or would not work when the switch was activated. The heater in the vehicle would also work randomly. The volume in the radio would increase while he attempted to turn it down. He called a dealer and the mechanic discovered NHTSA campaign id number 00V072000 (electrical system:fuses and circuit breakers), but it only applied to the Ford Explorer. The contact was experiencing the same failure as noted in the recall. The vehicle is being taken to the dealer on January 5, 2009 for a diagnosis. The failure mileage was 145,000 and current mileage was 150,000.

- Kingmen, IN, USA

Jul 162007

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2000 Ford F150. While the vehicle is parked, the horn will activate and the windshield wipers work intermittently. The contact stated that the vehicle would start automatically and she would have to disconnect the battery to stop the vehicle. The failure has occurred at least eight times. The contact took the vehicle to the Ford dealer on several occasions and they replaced the parts, but the failures still occur. The mileage information was unavailable.

- Baldwin, IA, USA

Jul 272007

F-150 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2000 Ford F150. After being parked for a couple of hours, the vehicle caught fire under the hood. The vehicle was destroyed, but the bed was the only part that remained. A police report was filed. The VIN, purchase date, engine size, powertrain, and dealer information were unknown. The current and failure mileages were 150,000.

- Early, TX, USA

Jan 152007

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

My 2000 Ford F-150 burned to a crisp last night. I had driven the vehicle and parked it in my driveway and was inside putting the groceries away when I heard a "boom" outside and when I ran out I observed a fired from the engine compartment. It appears to me that the vehicle is totaled. There was some minor damage to my residence and I now have a really cool looking garbage can from the heat of the fire. Friends informed me today that there have been numerous recalls, and similar incidents, but I have not heard about any recalls. What can I do about this besides contacting my insurance company(s)?

- Murrieta, CA, USA

Aug 102006

F-150 6-cyl

Woke up at 3:55 a.M. and my 2000 Ford F150 was fully involved in flames. It also caught a vehicle in front of it 1999 Dodge durango in flames. It then proceeded to catch my house on fire.

- Panama City Beach, FL, USA

Jul 302006

F-150 6-cyl

We have fallen victim to Ford's compartment fire issue. From everything we have just researched, it appears our F150 caught on fire around 5 am Sunday July 30. It had been parked since 10:30 pm. In trying to research this bizaare incident, I discovered their recall which I never received. I have owned the vehicle since 2001. I have not had any prior problems with the vehicle, which is why I found this so bizaare to wake up at 5 am to my wife yelling "your truck is on fire!". luckily, I have never been motivated to clean our garage so we could park inside. However, our home did suffer damage to the siding. Ford is not being aggressive in ensuring this is being handled.

- Lillington, NC, USA

Jul 302006

- Lillington, NC, USA

Jan 232005

F-150 8-cyl

The vehicle started however, I was unable to shift it into gear. After three calls to a Ford dealership, I was advised to shift it into neutral, start it then shift it into drive. I was able to drive it home however, the power windows & windshield wipers were not working. I heard "clicking" noises coming from the fuse box. After placing it into drive, the radio would not work. When I placed it in park, the radio started working. When using the panel/floor defrost, I heard an electrical shorting noise coming from under the hood. On 1/23/05, it would not start; only the lights on the dashboard came on; I was unable to shift it into neutral; the engine did not turn over. The vehicle was towed to krieger Ford. Initially, I was told that it needed a new starter. After further testing, I was advised that the fuse box and GEM were water-logged due to water leaking into them as the result of a faulty seal in the windshield which is the original factory installed windshield. I found an article ironically titled "quality is the prime imperative with Ford". the 1st paragraph states "installing windshields in vehicles has always been a pain. Fixing water leaks is the last thing you want to do in a vehicle assembly plant". the 2nd paragraph states "...has brought the number of windshield leaks significantly under 1 per 20 hours of production..." the 3rd paragraph references the word "defects". I wrote a lengthy letter dated 2/5/05 to the CEO of Ford with attachments of the article, online complaints stating the same problems & questioned the September 2004 tie rod inspection procedure mailed to me from Ford with regard to premature wearing and separation. I had also spoken to individuals in Ford's customer service center on several occasions. I paid krieger Ford over $1,000 to replace the starter (their "quick" fix), replace the GEM & fuse box & remove & re-seal the windshield. Ford responded to my letter by placing me on their promotional mailing list. Documentation available.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jun 192006

F-150 8-cyl

Odometer light keeps fading on/off and at times will not turn on when you start the engine or go off while driving. This has been an on-going problem since we purchased the vehicle in 09/2000. The dealership looked into it and found it was inconclusive.

- Englewood , CO, USA

May 272006

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

: the contact stated the vehicle erupted into flames after being parked for an hour. There were no problems with the vehicle prior to the incident. The vehicle was totaled. The service dealer removed the cruise control one year ago because of the potential of fire. The fire department extinguished the fire and determined the fire started in the front engine compartment under the hood. The fire department also determined all of the wire harnesses were intact.

- North Stonington, CT, USA

Oct 142004

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

There are no events that indicate anything is wrong until the engine has no power and runs rough. A coil pack failure on # 8 cylinder on 11/14/05. A coil pack failure on # 6 cylinder on 12/05/05. A coil pack failure on # 1 cylinder on 12/15/05. All incidents show a misfire on a particular cylinder. Correction to the problem is to have a coil pack installed along with a spark plug. Dealer suggests replacement of all coil packs.

- Blaine, MS, USA

Nov 122005

Engine fire.

- Hilliard, OH, USA

Sep 172005

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

The vehicle caught on fire on September 17, 2005. This occurred without previous warning. The consumer stated that it started in the steering column area because the most of the heat was coming from there. Had no problems with the vehicle before. He was unsure if the cruise control was on.

- Wasilla, AK, USA

Jul 132005

F-150 8-cyl

2000 Ford F150 digital odometer light was not working properly. The consumer was informed by the dealer that the entire instrument cluster needed to be replaced to correct the problem.

- Anderson, CA, USA

Jul 292005

F-150

2000 Ford F150 shut down in the middle of a turn.** answer required***. the vehicle has been taken to the dealer three times. Each time the repair/replace a component but the problem recurs. The last time the vehicle was at the dealer they rewired certain electrical components.

- Sanford , FL, USA

Aug 032005

F-150 6-cyl

Driving down smooth road, engine quit with no warning but the theft light flashed and the speedometer flashed. I was able to restart engine without a problem. Then after shutting engine off later it would crank but would not start. After towing to shop for repair it starts ok but speedometer shows dashes after the turn on light test. If this had happened when I had pulled out in traffic I would be dead.

- Warner Robins, GA, USA

Aug 012005

F-150 8-cyl

2000 Ford F150 caught on fire after start up. It was later determined that an electric module on the master cylinder was the cause.

- Sunnyvale, TX, USA

Jul 012005

F-150 6-cyl

2000 Ford F150 caught on fire while parked.

- Mercedes, TX, USA