1. new inserts in plug holes (8 reports)
2000 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Ford F-150:

2000 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Oct 162013

F-150 5.4L V8

Not sure how you design an engine to work for so many years and not design it to keep from shooting the spark plugs right out of the engine. Never heard of this issue with any other vehicle except the Ford F150

- , Oshkosh, WI, USA

Jan 142016

F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8

it's pretty damn stupid if ford knows about this problem and they won't do anything about it. I called a Ford dealer and they told me it was 500.00 to fix just one hole, just think how much it would cost for all cylinders

- , Caldwell, ID, USA

Dec 152015

F-150 XLT 5.4L

Was stopped at a light and when I pressed on the gas I blew out a spark plug on my 5.4L engine. Very loud popping noise and the cab of the truck filled with gas vapors. I was close to home but am very lucky there was no fire in the engine area.

Yes it's an older vehicle but spark plugs are supposed to stay put. In fact Ford is the only manufacturer that I have ever heard as having this problem.

It was rusty but trusty until now. It's been a decent truck but I'm not going to start chasing major repairs like head replacement. So off to the scrap yard with it.

The reason I decided to put this on here is that this is a problem from 1999 to 2004. How do you allow your vehicles to have such a problem in the first place?

- , Melvin, MI, USA

Mar 162015

F-150 Harley Edition 5.4L V8

Heard a ticking sound about a week before, but then it went away. 100 miles away on a Sunday night at 1am and bam, out came a plug. Drove it home. Got a cheap fix-it kit, must have dropped something into cylinder, started it up and bam, looked down, spark plug hole with scope and saw the end of the piston rod and wrist pin. (Piston exploded and also snapped valve off).. So off to junkyard and find crashed bad F150. Take motor out and work like mad to put it back together.

Many poor engineering problems 1. motor mount on passenger side will not allow enough clearance to accept exhuast manifold bolt to clear 2. converter will hardly push back to allow you to pull or realign motor to transmission 3. two upper bolts to tranny only accessible when you pull the intake manifold. 4. Have to drop exhaust pipe even to get starter out. I am not a smart mechanic but have changed more engines then I can remember and this was by far the most time consuming and troublesome I have ever came across.

Cripes, you can't tell me in this day and age something couldn't be engineered better then these plug spitting pieces of garbage. Come on mannnnnnnnnnnn!

- , Kirkland, AZ, USA

Mar 302015

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

I have had alot of vehicles over the years and not experienced a problem like this. Two of my friends have also had this happen. WHY??? It is an expensive fix

- , Lindsay, Ontario, canada

Jun 132014

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

Sounded like a vacuum leak, used a hose off of a shop vac like a stethoscope and located plug. Installed insert.

- , Ravena, NY, USA

Sep 162012

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

Blew out when I was driving, thought I ran something over. Limped it home, put an insert in it and so far so good.

- , Ravena, NY, USA

Oct 162014

F-150 4.6L V8

7am, started for work, blew as soon as I started truck. Removed plug from coil and could not replace in hole. Unhooked coil and drove to Ford garage to have it repaired, ran like a John Deer tractor on 7 cylinders.

Have had exhaust leak for several months but now I think it was the plug being loose all the time.

- , Albion, IN, USA

Dec 222011

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

• While taking a turn and going back onto the accelerator pedal there was a sudden loud "explosion" like sound, immediately followed by a loud "vacuum leak" like sound. Sounded like the exhaust system suddenly came loose.
  • Pulled over, popped the hood and saw an electrical arch around the #8 cylinder Coil Pack. Turned off engine noticed Coil Pack was very loose and had broke from the mounting tab.
  • Upon further inspection the lower boot on the #8 Coil Pack was observed to be nearly completely shredded. The spark plug was still attached, but the external electrode had been completely bent over coming in contact with the center eletrode.
  • Repair involved retapping hole and inserting a Helicoil insert with hi-temp RTV silicon, with a new spark plug with anti-seize.
  • I had issues with 2 Coil Packs "gone bad" between 80 and 96k miles. Orignal set of plugs changed @ 96k miles. Then again with a third Coil Pack around 110 - 115k miles. Had remaining 5 Coil Packs replaced as a preventative measure.
  • As far as I know there was no issue with blown plugs at any time of the Coil Pack replacements. Therefore this was my first (hopefully last) blown plug.
  • Perhaps that makes me more fortunate than others, since this occured at 199,551 miles.

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 302011

F-150 Lightning 5.4L

Ford doesnt issue a recall for this problem,I just now had this problem with my 2000 f150,it has a 5.4L with a supercharger,it a lightning,but it doesnt matter how its set up it does it on any 5.4L. If you want to read something from outside, read popular mechanics(Nov 2010,Pg 117). when it happend to me I was just starting my pickup,when I shut it off just before that it was fine and I don``t abuse my truck. I bought the truck In 2003 and I never heard anything about this problem at the time but it said in the report that it was not covered in the warranty but because ford cause this problem when they built the 5.4L I think even now they should cover it or most of it, If it was a normal problem I wouldnt say much about it

- , Cottage Grove, OR, USA