2.3

2000 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Ford F-150:

2000 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Oct 162008

F-150

My 2000 Ford F-150 caught fire in parking lot. Insurance adjuster determined it was caused by cruise control switch.

- Ruston, LA, USA

Jun 202008

F-150

The contact owns a 2000 Ford F-150. While the vehicle was parked at a shopping center, the contact smelled smoke. He immediately opened the hood and noticed flames. He extinguished the fire with an extinguisher. There were no warning indicators on the instrument panel prior to the failure. The contact stated that the failure was related to the cruise control activator device. The fire department was not called to the scene. The vehicle was towed to his residence, and has not been diagnosed by a mechanic. The vehicle has not been repaired. The failure and current mileages were 70,000.

- Vannuys, CA, USA

Mar 312008

F-150

The contact owns a 2000 Ford F-150. The contact received a Ford recall notice in 2005 for the vehicle speed control: Cruise control. He called the dealer to have the vehicle repaired and they disconnected the speed control because the parts were unavailable. Ford never informed the contact of when the parts would arrive. In March of 2008, he was awakened by a loud explosion and noticed that the vehicle was completely engulfed in flames. The garage sustained property damage. The fire department stated that the fire originated underneath the hood and a report was filed. Ford would not provide him with any assistance. The VIN, engine size, number of cylinders, and recall number were unknown. The failure and current mileages were 120,000.

- Belleville, WI, USA

Feb 102005

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2000 Ford F150. The contact stated that the cruise control was leaking and did not function at all. His VIN was included in NHTSA campaign id number 05V017000 (vehicle speed control:cruise control), which has been in effect for years. He was continuously informed that the dealer had no parts available. The purchase date was unknown. The current mileage was 65,000 and failure mileage was 10,000. Updated 4/2/08 updated 04/02/08

- Murrieta, CA, USA

Jan 032008

F-150 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2000 Ford F150. The vehicle spontaneously combusted and caught fire. There was no property damage. The fire was extinguished by the fire department. NHTSA campaign id number 05V017000 (vehicle speed control:cruise control) was referenced. The contact was unaware of the recall prior to the fire. A police report was filed. The purchase date was unknown. The current and failure mileages were approximately 220,000.

- Crowley, TX, USA

Sep 042007

F-150 8-cyl

Truck caught on fire while parked. Driver side engine compartment where master cylinder is located. Filed claim with insurance.

- Edinburg, TX, USA

Oct 292007

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2000 Ford F-150. The cruise control was deactivated due to leaking brake fluid as noted in NHTSA campaign id number 05V388000 (vehicle speed control). The contact cannot pass a safety inspection because the horn is unplugged due to the cruise control deactivation. The current and failure mileages were 111,000. The consumer stated the speed control deactivation switch leaked brake fluid on the electrical connections and destroyed the wiring to the speed control and horn connections and further stated Ford refuses to repair damaged components. Updated 11/20/07

- Horn Lake, MS, USA

Oct 232007

F-150 6-cyl

My truck was being serviced at the Ford dealership for a transmission problems, while there I was informed of recall and that they would repair it. Five days later while waiting for my vehicle, I called to find out why it was taking so long, I was informed my truck caught fire and they didn't know why. When I had spoke with technicians the day after it was dropped off they said they had already fixed a cruise control problem. And on the next day they will fix transmission. A day later it's totaled by a fire, and that they had nothing to do with it, nor did they do any type of work after I dropped it off. That was my only source of transportation, my work, and life.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Sep 132007

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

The contact's spouse owns a 2000 Ford F150. While the vehicle was parked and they key was removed from the ignition, it caught fire on the driver side underneath the hood. A mechanic and the fire department stated that the fire originated from the cruise control wiring. The dealer was notified and stated that they could not assist because the contact did not take the vehicle in to have the recall repaired. The contact stated that she never received the recall notice because she moved several times since the vehicle was purchased. There is a fire and police report, but the contact does not have them in her possession. The current and failure mileages were 90,759.

- South Anboy, NJ, USA

Aug 272007

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2000 Ford F150. On August 27, 2007, the vehicle caught fire an hour after the contact arrived home. The fire department extinguished the fire. A police report was filed. The current and failure mileages were 110,000.

- Conroe, TX, USA

Jul 212007

F-150 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2000 Ford F-150. On July 21, 2007, the contact's husband noticed smoke billowing past the window of their residence. The contact went outside to find the driver side of her vehicle engulfed in flames. The fire department extinguished the fire. The vehicle was destroyed. Prior to the fire, the vehicle was last driven at approximately 4pm the previous day. The fire also melted the paint on one of her other vehicles as well as the windows on the garage door. The current and failure mileages were 120,000.

- Sykesville, MD, USA

May 262007

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2000 Ford F150. The contact's neighbor informed the contact that her vehicle was on fire. The fire spread to the garage. Ford attempted to determine if the part that caused the fire had been repaired in September of 2005. After further research, it was discovered that the part that started the fire would not be available until September of 2007. The part that is needed is the cruise control switch. A police and fire report were filed. The contact is currently contacting a lawyer. Updated 07/19/07.

- Kenduskeag, ME, USA

May 112007

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2000 Ford F-150. While the vehicle was parked, the contact heard the alarm and noticed fire coming from the hood. The fire damaged the property of a neighbor. The fire investigator stated that the fire was caused by the vehicle speed control. There is recall # 05V017000 for the vehicle speed control. The VIN was unknown. The current and failure mileages were 75,000.

- Housotn, TX, USA

May 252007

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

My 2000 Ford F-150 was parked unoccupied at a local business. Appx. 45 later the vehicle caught fire. I learned from fire marshall there was a recall on my truck because the cruise control is known to start fires.

- Colchester, CT, USA

Jan 162007

F-150 8-cyl

2000 Ford F-150 pick up caught on fire while parked in driveway ignition off.

- Hialeah, FL, USA

Aug 092006

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

On the evening of August 9 2006 while working in my garage I notice a bright flicker of light coming from outside the garage in the general direction of my 2000 Ford F-150. I quickly noticed that the vehicle was on fire under the hood and molten plastic was dripping along with fire through the left front fender well. I immediately grabbed a fire extinguisher and put out the fire. The vehicle had not been operated for a period of about 3 hours prior to the fire occurring. It is only because that I was working in my garage and noticed the beginning of what could have been a much more serious fire that the vehicle was not a total loss and my home and family were not destroyed or injured. The vehicle was towed to a local Ford dealership for repairs at the direction of my insurance claims adjuster. For the purpose of assigning the insured's liability, the claims adjuster determined the cause of the fire to be leaking brake fluid at the brake master cylinder resulting in an electrical short. The claims adjuster also stated that this was possibly a recall item.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Aug 262006

F-150 8-cyl

: the contact stated while the vehicle was parked for several hours, the contact noticed flames coming from underneath the driver's side front end. The vehicle was totaled. There were no problems with the vehicle prior to this incident. The contact used the cruise control occasionally. The fire department came to the scene and extinguished the fire. The fire department determined the fire was caused from a faulty cruise control switch. There was a police report filed.

- Georgetown, TX, USA

Jul 012006

F-150 8-cyl

We purchased a 2000 Ford F-150 pickup in October 2003. We received a recall notice from Ford and took the vehicle to a local Ford dealer in February 2005 to have the repair work performed. We were told this was an interim repair and permanent repairs would be made once replacement parts were more widely available. On Saturday, July 1, 2006, our 2000 Ford F-150 exploded while sitting in our driveway. The resulting fire destroyed the truck and caused considerable damage to our home. The truck had not been driven for 24 hours before it exploded. The local fire chief stated the fire was caused by an electrical problem on the driver's side of the truck's engine. Please note the truck exploded after we had the repair work done in accordance with Ford's recall notice.

- Pace, FL, USA

Jul 302006

F-150 6-cyl

We have fallen victim to Ford's compartment fire issue. From everything we have just researched, it appears our F150 caught on fire around 5 am Sunday July 30. It had been parked since 10:30 pm. In trying to research this bizaare incident, I discovered their recall which I never received. I have owned the vehicle since 2001. I have not had any prior problems with the vehicle, which is why I found this so bizaare to wake up at 5 am to my wife yelling "your truck is on fire!". luckily, I have never been motivated to clean our garage so we could park inside. However, our home did suffer damage to the siding. Ford is not being aggressive in ensuring this is being handled.

- Lillington, NC, USA