2001 Ford F-150 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford F-150:

2001 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Oct 242011

F-150 6-cyl

The vehicle had not been driven for several days. It caught fire while no one was home. There had been no problems before as far as running. The fire started in the engine compartment. Exact cause was not determined.

- Marshall, TX, USA

Sep 022011

F-150 8-cyl

For a long time we had issues with the brakes even after getting new ones, about 3 wks before the fire my cruise stopped working.on the day before the fire I rolled my front windows down after I went back to work, an when I got off work my windows would not roll up, an I could not get the gear out of park, so I turned the engine off, an just turned the key on, an got it to go into neutral so I could start it an get it into drive.the next morning I took it to the shop to see about the windows, an before it could be checked, about 3:00 in the afternoon the engine off, the shop owner came out an the truck engine was fully engulfed. We didn't know until after the fire that there had been a recall on the speed control system that could result in a engine fire. We never received a recall notice.

- Savannah, TN, USA

May 042011

F-150

Airbag light lites up on dashboard, odometer does not always light to see mileage.

- Allenstown, NH, USA

Jun 162011

F-150

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph he began to see smoke rise from under the hood. The vehicle was stopped and shut off. While examining the vehicle, the contact noticed some of the wires under the hood were on fire. The fire was extinguished. Upon reentering the vehicle, the contact also noticed that the anti lock braking system light was illuminating on the instrument panel. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA

May 212011

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

2001 F150, ,,, I was driving down the road a few weeks ago at around 50 to 55 mph, when I heard a loud popping noise coming from my truck. I pulled over right away, it sounded like a bad exhaust leak. I looked all under the truck and couldn't find any leak, so I had my son tow me home, as I opened the hood and started the truck I heard the noise coming from the top of the motor, after looking closer with a flashlight I found the problem the number 7 plug had been blown right of the head and was laying on top of the intake, breaking the coil pack in the process. It stripped the threads right out of the head, ,,I did find a repair kit at Napa for $220 and it still is not running right, and I also learned they only make a repair kit for the Ford motors no other make has this repair kit, , so it sound like Ford has a defect with the heads no other make has this issue.

- Woodstown, NJ, USA

Jun 152011

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2001 F150 truck I went to leave work I started my truck and went to put it in gear to leave when I smelled something burning I noticed smoke coming from under my hood I open to hood to find a fire at the master cylinder. I grab the plug that was burning and yanked it out of the truck, it burn a hole in my reservoir holding my brake fluid and my hand.

- Woodstown, NJ, USA

Jun 082011

F-150

I own a 2001 Ford F150 lariat 1/2 ton pickup truck with 95,000 original miles on it. On my way to work I noticed it began running very erratic and the service engine light came on, I immediately took it to the shop. The diagnostic check revealed the #7 coil wire was in need of replacement. The shop advised me to change all coil wires and spark plugs as I was nearing the 100,000 mile mark, the cost was $1,200. I opted to just have the spark plugs changed and the # 7 coil wire replaced for $240. The next day the shop called and said there was a big problem, the #7 spark plug broke off during the extraction. The $240 cost is now $1800. The shop said the head would need to be removed to replace the broken spark plug. I have no choice but to have the work done as the shop told me there was a big problem with spark plugs shearing off during removal because of poor design, they commented the spark plugs have a 100,000 mile guarantee to work, however, the engineers didn't figure on how bad the plugs might deteriorate making removal turn into a financial fiasco.

- Brentwood, MO, USA

May 192011

F-150

May 19, 2011 at around 4:20 am we were awaken by our neighbors that our truck was on fire. Our 2001 Ford F150 was on fire, an explosion had made a huge hole in the hood on the front of the driver side. The truck had last been driven the morning of May 17, 2011 and had been sitting in our driveway since then. The firemen said the fire was due to electrical wiring. We always kept up with all required maintenance. We had no idea of the problems Ford were having, we now only have one vehicle to get around and the worst part is that it's a 2004 Ford F250 which could also be a recall vehicle. Our income is very tight because my mother is very sick and we are sending money for her medication and expenses, we have no way of getting another vehicle. Our Ford F250 is a diesel and diesel fuel is very high. Someone please help! not sure what we're suppose to do or if Ford will be responsible.

- Fort Worth, Texas, 76110, TX, USA

Mar 262011

F-150

Over 100 thousand miles the 2001 Ford F150 cylinder 6 misfires replace and still misfires after 4 months. This is a common problem that shakes vehicle and makes it unstable in driving and acceleration. Also creates loss in fuel economy. And also can provide the following web address of people complaining of this follow web address of others affected by this. This is one side of 400 sites of people complaining. www.topix.com/forum/autos/Ford-F-150/T1bo1cb5bhpb0T4mu.

- 50208, IA, USA

Mar 072011

F-150

Started truck heard a loud pop engine running rough checked, spark plug blew out destroying coil pack now called Ford dealer they said no recall checked on internet noticed a lot of people same problem. A lot money to repair. I had just got back from a 600 mile trip if this had happened during trip would have cost me up to $40 to get on road again, this should be a recall! and if I get it fixed I will have to get rid of it because people are complaining 2 or more plugs are blowing out and I can not afford the fix.

- Millbury, MA, USA

Dec 282010

F-150

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while the vehicle was parked, it suddenly burst into flames. The fire department extinguished the fire and stated that the fire was electrical; they could not determine the cause of the fire. The manufacturer had not been notified. The failure mileage was approximately 181,000.

- Rosemount, MN, USA

Aug 202010

F-150

I have a 2001 Ford F150 5.4 super crew white the spark plug number five blew out on the highway on our way home! I was with my wife and three children when this happened. It scared us it was a very loud noise it sounded like a gun shot then the motor started to shake and mis fire we smelt gas and as the truck was loosing power I had my wife who was driving pull off the road on to the side then we called the tow truck then we had it towed home! the tow truck driver stated this is a problem that he has seen alot and it is very dangerous it can start on fire and we could have been killed or in a crash because of it thank god we not! he also stated that there should be a recall but Ford is too cheap and don't care about people they only care about money! I think there should be a class action lawsuit if not recalled and I want to have it fixed! I have looked into this on line and see that there are hundreds of people who feel the same way since it happened to them too!

- Lake Havasu, AZ, USA

Aug 262010

F-150

Vehicle was driven to store where it sat for 15 minutes before restarting. Upon starting, the engine noise was very loud, sounded like backfiring. Engine was immediately shut off. Vehicle was towed to mechanic. Problem was blown number 8 spark plug, the well known problem where the plug was blown out taking the threads from the head with it. The mechanic was able to tap the resultant hole, add a repair insert, and a new spark plug.

- Liberty Twp., OH, USA

Jul 112010

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

I had just arrived at a campsite with my family and turned the engine off in my 2001 Ford F150 truck. I got out of the truck and noticed smoke coming out from under the hood. The truck's engine compartment had caught fire while parked, the entire truck was destroyed and my family and I narrowly escaped with our lives.

- San Ramon, CA, USA

Oct 102009

F-150

Coil over plug (C O P) on a Ford 150. I have replaced different C O P several times. This is a ongoing battle I'm sure I cannot afford.

- Mio, MI, USA

Sep 252009

F-150

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F-150. While the vehicle was parked it caught fire on the driver side. The fire damaged the drive way where the vehicle was parked. The fire department stated that the fire was caused by an electrical shortage. The contact is aware of the safety risk since the fire nearly burned his home to the ground. The current and failure mileages were 220,000.

- Dacliff, TX, USA

Jan 062009

F-150

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F-150. While driving less than 70 mph in the rain, the vehicle stalled and was pulled over to the side of the road. The driver noticed a flame in the rear of the vehicle. The driver was able to exit the vehicle before it became completely engulfed in flames. Another driver attempted to extinguish the fire, but was unsuccessful. The police and fire departments were called to the scene and a report was filed. The cause of the fire has not yet been determined. The contact does not know if her VIN is included in NHTSA campaign id number 05V388000 (vehicle speed control). The failure and current mileages were less than 110,000.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jun 272008

F-150

2001 Ford F-150 supercrew windshield leaked with no sign of this happening. Shorted out computer, fuse box. Engine shutdown while traveling in left lane of a highway. No crash but very close to causing one. Was able to get into median. No previous accident with truck, original windshield with no cracks or blemishes. Maintained well and typically garaged.

- Northford, CT, USA

Mar 032008

F-150

In March 08, my F150 4.6L engine blew a spark plug...fuel was close to the exhaust manifold. I was very concerned that it would ignite, so I remained clear of the vehicle for quite some time, giving the fuel time to evaporate. This is a big problem, please step up and do what is right. Ford should recall these vehicles.

- Springboro, OH, USA

Jan 172008

F-150 8-cyl

My 2001 Ford F150 harley davidson edition caught on fire while parked on my driveway and burned to the ground. Had the fire department arrived any later, my house would be gone as well.

- Miami, FL, USA