2001 Ford F-150 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford F-150:

2001 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Aug 112015

F-150

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F-150. While reversing, the vehicle crashed into a telephone pole when shifting the gear into drive. The vehicle accelerated to approximately 70-80 mph. The brake pedal was depressed, but failed to stop the vehicle. The vehicle crashed into a garage. There were no injuries. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. A police report was filed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 100,000.

- Marion, IN, USA

Sep 202015

F-150

All I know is I was at a neighbors for around 1 1/2 hours and we hear a loud boom. We ran out side and my truck hood was on fire, it burned everything visible on top of the motor and toward the driver firewall. It busted the driver side tire and completely burned everything visible under the hood. The dash components as far as the eye can see are not bad, unknown of internal damage.I'm not sure what caused the problem. I did go to the recall site to see if there may have been something I did find this control switch for speed recall and not sure if it applies to mine.even though it brought it up when I entered my VIN #. I did receive a recall on the gas tank straps but did not replace them they were in great shape. But I did not receive on on this. I do have pictures if you need them. Thanks

- Blaine, KY, USA

Jun 132015

F-150

Turn signal are now sporadic. Upon investigating I found that when the tilt is engaged and lowered the turn signals would not work. Raise steering wheel back up it would work. Start to drive down the road they would turn off or not work at all or wok sometimes. Raise the steering wheel they work. Lower it they don't. this indicates from further research on line in Ford F150 forums this is a problem with the wiring being to short and the wires get pulled out of the switch. It is a very common occurrence in F!%) from 98 up to 2004 and are now being reported in newer models as well. This is a severe safety hazard for drivers and passengers and drivers behind the vehicles.and should be remedied by Ford at no expense to the owners.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 202015

F-150

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the auto theft sensor illuminated several times and continued to illuminate randomly. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who replaced the key, but the failure recurred. The contact continued to have extreme difficulty with turning the key to start the ignition and the auto theft warning lamp continued to illuminate. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Kykotsmovi Village , AZ, USA

Jul 172014

F-150 8-cyl

I parked, walked inside...moments later the truck was on fire..

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Oct 222014

F-150

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F-150. The contact stated that she never received a recall notice for the vehicle nor were any warning lights illuminated. The VIN associated with the vehicle is listed in NHTSA campaign number: 05V017000 (vehicle speed control). The contact drove the vehicle on Saturday. On Wednesday, the vehicle caught fire. The vehicle was not towed to a dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 165,000.

- Appomattox, VA, USA

Aug 182014

F-150 8-cyl

The truck was parked in my driveway for at least 24 hours without being used or turned on. The front of the truck suddenly went on fire. The fire department came and put it out. The fire burned only the front up to the windshield leaving the cab partially melted and my daughters car seat unsafe. Now this mess sits in my driveway as I wait for inspector. As it falls apart more and more each day as my family and neighbors smell the burnt rubble and are reminded of that frightening afternoon.

- West Babylon, NY, USA

Jun 222013

F-150 8-cyl

Vehicle was not in use- parked and not on smoke and fire came from under hood the wiring melted causing the hood to melt underneath where it can not be opened. Contacted Ford on Monday June 24 waited few weeks for paper work- promptly filled it out and never heard back frome them- made several calls received a letter from legal department indicating they need the part to review we wanted Ford to come to look at truck and retireve the part they are not willing and are closing the case there is a recall on this and my family was in the truck that morning- we re lucky no one was killed

- Pine Bush, NY, USA

May 302013

F-150

2001 F150 XLT 4.2 V6 electronical control module (ECM) shorted out causing malfunction to my lights windows and alarm and my locks as well which is a theft concern and fire hazard as well. I feel in my opinion that this issue should be addressed and should be under recall and fixed under Ford I spoke with a tech at a Ford dealership nearest me and he told me that Ford has not stepped up and said anything. I feel this needs to be addressed and is a big concern for me and im sure its a concern for others as well. So Ford if you want business and you love your customers this will be fixed.

- Iron Station, NC, USA

Apr 112013

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while parked and occupied, the vehicle became engulfed in flames. The fire and police department reported to the scene and filed a report. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The cause of the fire was undetermined. The vehicle was destroyed. The approximate failure mileage was 250,000.

- Rosenberg, TX, USA

Feb 052013

F-150

I keep having major issues with my truck ejecting spark plugs from the engine which is breaking not only my spark plugs but my coil pack as well. This is rediculious. The first time I was at a light at a dead stop when I hear a loud banging noise like something exploded then my truck started running rough and had to get it towed. It stranded us 45 minutes from home. The second time was two days ago on March 18 I was driving through a drive thru again at a dead stop and heard a loud noise and had the same issue. Again my spark plug was ejected and coil pack broken. The first time was in cylinder 1 and was repaired then one month later the next time cylinder 2 ejected. 5 minutes after it was repaired and had new plug and coil pack it again ejected. Im upset because I can no longer drive my truck. If Ford doesnt fix this I willnever purchase another Ford. Now it is useless sitting in my garage takin up space.

- Godely, TX, USA

Jan 302013

F-150

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while parked, the vehicle became engulfed in flames. The police and fire department reported to the scene and a report was filed. The cause of the fire was not determined. The vehicle was destroyed. The approximate failure mileage was 170,000.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Nov 042012

F-150 8-cyl

2001 Ford F150 was sitting out in driveway of owner's home. He had been home approx 1/2 hours when owners vehicle was on fire coming from the engine compartment. No fire damage to the inside cab of owners vehicle.

- Santa Clarita, CA, USA

Sep 212012

F-150 8-cyl

Car was sitting in driveway for around 30 -45 minutes then just set fire.

- Willingboro, NJ, USA

Sep 032012

F-150

Rear lights, including brake, turn signals, and hazard lights quit working. This issue can be found on many online Ford F-150 forums. The steering column wiring is too short, and breakage in the wire, or connectors can occur with the tilt steering mechanism. The tilt steering mechanism and short wiring has caused the connection to break inside the steering column trim on our vehicle, which caused the lights to stop functioning properly. I inspected the problem, and found the connector can move freely. I feel this is an issue since I am able to locate many others that have had the same issue from 1997 up to 2001 Ford F-150S.

- Dillon, MT, USA

Jun 262012

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

As I was leaving a stop sign, I accelerated and a spark plug blew out of it's hole and will not go back in. This is a product defect that can cause serious injury or deaths to unknowing Ford owners. Ford should recall asap.

- Marblehead, OH, USA

Sep 202011

F-150 6-cyl

On or about 2004, complainant purchased a Ford truck, F-150, supercrew, 4X2, model 2001. Complainant owns and lives in a house. Said house has a gate carport. By September 20, 2011, the above referenced vehicle had been parked and turned off for about one (1) week in the gated carport of complainants house. On September 20, 2011, sometime between 12:00pm and 1:00pm the above reference vehicle began to burn inside the carport. The flames and the smoke flowing from the vehicle expanded into complainants house causing damages to the structure and a myriad of movable objects located therein. According to complainants forensic expert, the vehicle began to burn as a result of a failure in the vehicle's cruise control switch deactivator.

- Toa Baja, PR, USA

Feb 062012

Spark plug blew out of engine causing failure. Engine. Fire

- Frisco, TX, USA

Jan 052012

F-150 8-cyl

My F150 blower motor unit just shorted out and caught fire while I was on the freeway. I am just so disgusted as I already got past blowing out sparkplugs on this truck as I had to remove the head and re thread it so they would be safe and now this. How does Ford continue to get a away with producing vehicles that are dangerous to the public? I loved my truck but will probably have to move to a safer vehicle now.

- La Porte, TX, USA

May 222001

F-150

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the wiring harness and coil plug was causing the vehicle to stall and drive hard. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer to have the wiring harness and coil plug replaced but the repair did not remedy the issue. The contact took the vehicle back to the dealer but the dealer could not properly diagnose the vehicle. The failure mileage was 68,000.

- Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA