8.4

1. helicoil kit (24 reports)
  3. redrill and replace spark plug (7 reports)
  4. pull the head and rethread it (3 reports)
  5. replaced spark plug (3 reports)
  6. ford says pull the engine and replace the entire head (2 reports)
2001 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford F-150:

2001 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Dec 262014

F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8

Ford engines of this vintage are notorious for blowing spark plugs, FORD SHOULD NEVER HAVE ALLOWED THIS DESIGN OFF THE ASSEMBLY LINE.

The spark plug was replaced using a helicoil, very expensive to have done by a mechanic (and each of my 8 spark plugs has the potential to blow, 1 down, 7 to go)

- , Elko, NV, USA

Nov 222014

F-150 King Cab 5.3L V8

This problem should be a Class Action Lawsuit. I had a fire at a stop sign. Luckily I had a fire extinguisher. It could have killed me when I first opened the hood and the fire exploded out of the engine department.

- , Astoria, OR, USA

Nov 082014

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

I had my truck in two months earlier for my regular service job. I told them that I wanted to go ahead and get my 100,000 mile work done at that time. It was at 96,000 + miles and the truck is older. They didn't replace the spark plugs and then two months later they are blowing out of my engine.

- , Hills, IA, USA

Nov 012014

FORD NEEDS TO HAVE A RECALL ON THIS SPARK PLUG BLOW OUT PROBLEM

- , Belleville, MI, USA

Aug 042014

F-150 LX 4.6L

OK, THIS IS THE THIRD ONE SO FAR AND THIS IS GETTING ANNOYING.

Jul 082014

SPARK PLUG BLEW OUT ON ANOTHER CYLINER AND HAD TO BE TOWED TO THE SHOP AGAIN

Jun 112014

F-150 LX 4.6L

I HAVE HAD THREE SPARK PLUGS TOTAL TO BLOW OUT-- I HAVE TALKED TO DOZENS OF PEOPLE WITH THE SAME PROBLEM

Aug 042014

F-150

Number 3 just happened and at the moment my truck is over 177 miles from home.

So can I expected the rest of the plugs to blow.

Pretty sad when you are scared to take the truck anywhere.

May 092014

F-150 XLT 4.6L V8

WELL IT HAPPENED AGAIN TODAY 08/14/2014 GOING TO TRY HELICOIL KIT. THIS PISSES ME OFF, IF I'D KNOWN THIS PROBLEM EXISTED I WOULD NOT HAVE BOUGHT THIS TRUCK.

- , Princeton, KS, USA

Aug 112013

F-150

This is the 2nd plug to blow out.

Getting to really be a pain.

Mar 032012

F-150

Very upset, as Ford knows about this problem. Replaced spark plug, cost $400.00. This was the first of three spark plugs that blew.

Jul 042014

F-150 XLT 4.6L

I took it to Richards Car Care Center in OKC and they did not fix it correctly but charged me 500 dollars and told me I need a new engine due to some lower engine noise. I got a second opinion and they fixed some other problems with the engine but blew another plug. The second garage asked if I had a plug replaced before and said the first garage didn't put the plug in all the way which caused it to blow again. It's going to cost $1,400 for a new head thanks to the first garage, Richards Car Care Center, I recommend to never take your vehicle there. But only having 65000 miles on my truck I wouldn't have expected all this trouble.

- , Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Jul 032014

F-150 LX 5.4L

The #3 plug came flying out, it happened when I was slowing down. What do you do? Retired not much money, budget tight......

- , Sioux City, IA, USA

Jul 022013

F-150 Lariat Triton V8 5.4L

I know it says report it everytime it happens but we have replaced ALL 8 plugs at this time(7-2-2014) the one I listed really stands out in my mind because we had just arrived at our vacation destination when the damn thing blew....so adding insult to injury on top of the cost of getting the car fixed we also had to rent a CAR. And got a dang little subcompact to drive..so there was another un-planned for cost. This has happened over the course of 3 years and is quite expensive not to mention aggravating!!!!

- , Summerville, GA, USA

Jun 122014

F-150 Lariat 5.4L Trinton

The first time it happened was two years ago. The truck started spitting and jumping, so to the shop it went. They said a blown spark plug that took the coil with it. That will be 300.00 dollars. Two weeks later another one blew and back to the shop I go. I said you didn't fix too good and they said they did to, it was a different plug. I said ok if its going to start blowing them all, just replace all of them. They replaced seven more coils and plugs for about 1500.00. I thought the problem was solved until two months ago when it blew another along with the coil. Another 300.00. Last week on June 12, 2014 another goes and back to the shop I go. Made it about two miles headed home and "boom". made a u-turn and back to the shop I go. This morning I went to have a heart to heart talk with the mechanic about a solution. They say there is none. I have been a fan of Ford all my life,but that is changing rapidly. Ford needs to admit their mistake and fix the problem or start a loan program so people can afford to get them fixed and pay a taxi fare for the many times the owners won't have transportation because what they thought was a reliable vehicle is not!!

- , Forsyth, GA, USA

Feb 012014

F-150 Harleydavidson V.8 5.4L

Hi my name is James and I have a 2001 F150 Harley Davidson truck and I have had 4 spark pluges blow out of the cylinder heads. l think it's time for Ford to step in and fix this problem with their trucks. I'm a Ford man but if they don't step in and fix this problem I will be driving something else.

- , Elcajon, C.A, USA

Nov 102012

F-150 5.4L

In the last couple years I have had to replace 1 ignition coils and now have a spark plug blow out of the engine.

- , Easton, PA, USA

Sep 202012

F-150 XLT 4.6L

this is ridiculous and obviously happens a lot. I doubt i will be buying another ford and i have had a lot of them. After i got it back the engine has a lot of vibration at 52 mph. Time to get another truck.

- , Gb, KS, USA

Aug 062012

F-150 4.6L

After reading those with the same problem I highly doubt anything will be done about the matter. Seems like ford needs to pull their heads from their ass and fix this problem. Nice work for not accepting a government buyout and continually to ignore the complaints.

- , Amarillo, TX, USA

Feb 062012

F-150 Lariat Triton 5.4L

I have had this truck since new and take very good care of it. In the last couple years I have had to replace two ignition coils and now have a spark plug blow out of the engine. Searched online and it didn't take long to figure out I am not the only one.

- , Frisco, TX, USA