8.4

1. helicoil kit (25 reports)
  3. redrill and replace spark plug (7 reports)
  4. replaced spark plug (4 reports)
  5. got same response from local auto mechanic. cost $4000 (3 reports)
  6. pull the head and rethread it (3 reports)
2001 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford F-150:

2001 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Jun 042015

F-150 XLT 5.4L

I say FORD should be responsible for the repair on these engines. They knew about it, let them repair or be responsible for the repairs.

- , Pueblo, CO, USA

May 022015

F-150 Lighting 5.4L V8

I have a 1976 Mustang with excess of mechanical limits of odometer in miles, no problems1995 Ranger 370,00+ miles, no problem. My dream truck with only 54000 miles just popped #6 spark plug. I'm calling Ford & raising pure hell still original does not fail with this low miles, they know it`s an issue and shouldn't stick their head in the sand & wait till it goes away!!! Only way to change is to do something about it.

- , Taylors, SC, USA

Jun 022015

F-150 Lariat Supercrew 5.4L V8

Well well well.....there I was with a replacement engine in my truck from salvage yard. I get the engine dropped in my truck drove it home on the interstate and boom...heard something like exhaust leak.... I pull off the interstate to lift my hood. There I find my spark plug and coil blown off. Needless to say I was very upset. Also my threads are stripped. This will be a $57 fix for me thanks to the guy who installed it. Ford Motor Company the only reason why I have stuck by you for so long is because Of MY Grandfather stuck beside you guys!! I do believe it my be time to move on with my next truck I invest in.

- , Macon, GA, USA

May 222015

F-150 4.6L V8

Lucky it happened close to home and could drive to two miles to my mechanic. This is the second 2001 Ford I have owned that did this.

- , Phoenix, USA

Apr 072015

F-150 HD 5.4L

FORD 150 5.4L has this common problem and Ford is no doing anything. this problem was repaired on 4/9/15 and then the repair failed on 4/22/15. repair perform by Ford dealer.

- , Graysville, TN, USA

Apr 082015

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

Spark plug "blew" out of head and also broke C.O.P. coil. This happened within 1/2 mile of home. Wasn't sure of what had "popped" until I raised hood and found spark plug lying on top of the head and the damaged coil. Unable to drive vehicle to repair center (as it is now un-driveable). Hope to get a "fix" and quote over the phone?

Update from May 1, 2015: Repair tech recommended a Helicoil Repair Kit to fix this issue. Repair cost under $200 and has worked so far (fingers crossed).

Update from May 1, 2015: Repair tech recommended a Heli-coil kit. Parts + labor =$160.00 solution that has worked...so far.

- , Thomasville, GA, US

Dec 262014

F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8

Ford engines of this vintage are notorious for blowing spark plugs, FORD SHOULD NEVER HAVE ALLOWED THIS DESIGN OFF THE ASSEMBLY LINE.

The spark plug was replaced using a helicoil, very expensive to have done by a mechanic (and each of my 8 spark plugs has the potential to blow, 1 down, 7 to go)

- , Elko, NV, USA

Nov 222014

F-150 King Cab 5.3L V8

This problem should be a Class Action Lawsuit. I had a fire at a stop sign. Luckily I had a fire extinguisher. It could have killed me when I first opened the hood and the fire exploded out of the engine department.

- , Astoria, OR, USA

Nov 082014

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

I had my truck in two months earlier for my regular service job. I told them that I wanted to go ahead and get my 100,000 mile work done at that time. It was at 96,000 + miles and the truck is older. They didn't replace the spark plugs and then two months later they are blowing out of my engine.

- , Hills, IA, USA

Nov 012014

F-150 XLT 4.6L

FORD NEEDS TO HAVE A RECALL ON THIS SPARK PLUG BLOW OUT PROBLEM

- , Belleville, MI, USA

Aug 042014

F-150 LX 4.6L

OK, THIS IS THE THIRD ONE SO FAR AND THIS IS GETTING ANNOYING.

Jul 082014

SPARK PLUG BLEW OUT ON ANOTHER CYLINER AND HAD TO BE TOWED TO THE SHOP AGAIN

Jun 112014

F-150 LX 4.6L

I HAVE HAD THREE SPARK PLUGS TOTAL TO BLOW OUT-- I HAVE TALKED TO DOZENS OF PEOPLE WITH THE SAME PROBLEM

Aug 042014

F-150

Number 3 just happened and at the moment my truck is over 177 miles from home.

So can I expected the rest of the plugs to blow.

Pretty sad when you are scared to take the truck anywhere.

May 092014

F-150 XLT 4.6L V8

WELL IT HAPPENED AGAIN TODAY 08/14/2014 GOING TO TRY HELICOIL KIT. THIS PISSES ME OFF, IF I'D KNOWN THIS PROBLEM EXISTED I WOULD NOT HAVE BOUGHT THIS TRUCK.

- , Princeton, KS, USA

Aug 112013

F-150

This is the 2nd plug to blow out.

Getting to really be a pain.

Mar 032012

F-150

Very upset, as Ford knows about this problem. Replaced spark plug, cost $400.00. This was the first of three spark plugs that blew.

Jul 042014

F-150 XLT 4.6L

I took it to Richards Car Care Center in OKC and they did not fix it correctly but charged me 500 dollars and told me I need a new engine due to some lower engine noise. I got a second opinion and they fixed some other problems with the engine but blew another plug. The second garage asked if I had a plug replaced before and said the first garage didn't put the plug in all the way which caused it to blow again. It's going to cost $1,400 for a new head thanks to the first garage, Richards Car Care Center, I recommend to never take your vehicle there. But only having 65000 miles on my truck I wouldn't have expected all this trouble.

- , Oklahoma City, OK, US

Jul 032014

F-150 LX 5.4L

The #3 plug came flying out, it happened when I was slowing down. What do you do? Retired not much money, budget tight......

- , Sioux City, IA, USA

Jul 022013

F-150 Lariat Triton V8 5.4L

I know it says report it everytime it happens but we have replaced ALL 8 plugs at this time(7-2-2014) the one I listed really stands out in my mind because we had just arrived at our vacation destination when the damn thing blew....so adding insult to injury on top of the cost of getting the car fixed we also had to rent a CAR. And got a dang little subcompact to drive..so there was another un-planned for cost. This has happened over the course of 3 years and is quite expensive not to mention aggravating!!!!

- , Summerville, GA, USA