8.4

1. helicoil kit (25 reports)
  3. redrill and replace spark plug (7 reports)
  4. replaced spark plug (4 reports)
  5. got same response from local auto mechanic. cost $4000 (3 reports)
  6. pull the head and rethread it (3 reports)
2001 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford F-150:

2001 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Jun 122014

F-150 Lariat 5.4L Trinton

The first time it happened was two years ago. The truck started spitting and jumping, so to the shop it went. They said a blown spark plug that took the coil with it. That will be 300.00 dollars. Two weeks later another one blew and back to the shop I go. I said you didn't fix too good and they said they did to, it was a different plug. I said ok if its going to start blowing them all, just replace all of them. They replaced seven more coils and plugs for about 1500.00. I thought the problem was solved until two months ago when it blew another along with the coil. Another 300.00. Last week on June 12, 2014 another goes and back to the shop I go. Made it about two miles headed home and "boom". made a u-turn and back to the shop I go. This morning I went to have a heart to heart talk with the mechanic about a solution. They say there is none. I have been a fan of Ford all my life,but that is changing rapidly. Ford needs to admit their mistake and fix the problem or start a loan program so people can afford to get them fixed and pay a taxi fare for the many times the owners won't have transportation because what they thought was a reliable vehicle is not!!

- , Forsyth, GA, USA

Feb 012014

F-150 Harleydavidson V.8 5.4L

Hi my name is James and I have a 2001 F150 Harley Davidson truck and I have had 4 spark pluges blow out of the cylinder heads. l think it's time for Ford to step in and fix this problem with their trucks. I'm a Ford man but if they don't step in and fix this problem I will be driving something else.

- , Elcajon, C.A, USA

Nov 102012

F-150 5.4L

In the last couple years I have had to replace 1 ignition coils and now have a spark plug blow out of the engine.

- , Easton, PA, USA

Sep 202012

F-150 XLT 4.6L

this is ridiculous and obviously happens a lot. I doubt i will be buying another ford and i have had a lot of them. After i got it back the engine has a lot of vibration at 52 mph. Time to get another truck.

- , Great Bend, KS, US

Aug 062012

F-150 4.6L

After reading those with the same problem I highly doubt anything will be done about the matter. Seems like ford needs to pull their heads from their ass and fix this problem. Nice work for not accepting a government buyout and continually to ignore the complaints.

- , Amarillo, TX, USA

Feb 062012

F-150 Lariat Triton 5.4L

I have had this truck since new and take very good care of it. In the last couple years I have had to replace two ignition coils and now have a spark plug blow out of the engine. Searched online and it didn't take long to figure out I am not the only one.

- , Frisco, TX, USA

Jan 212012

F-150 XLT 4.6L

ford has not addressed the problem. they claim it does not exist.

- , Anacortes, WA, USA

Jan 162012

F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8

Ford should have ever put aluminum heads without a steel insert in every plug, this is a common problem with Ford Engines. I love my truck and take very good care of it, oil changed every 3500 miles, clean every week. This truck is my livelyhook I use it for my work, I've been without a vehicle for a week, that means no money coming in. Why doesn't Ford recall this type engine block and fix the problem. I was considering buying another Ford pickup, but this just might have changed my mind.

- , Henderson, KY, USA

Dec 232011

F-150 4.6L V8

Ford has to know there is a problem with the 1999 to 2005 engines, or they are total idiots. I have owned seven Ford trucks since 1979. Once I am over this fiasco I will probably chose another Make. Someone at Ford needs to "grow a set" and "man-up" and address this problem.

- , Dameron, MD, USA

Nov 252011

F-150 XLT 4.6L V8

My son traveled 350 miles from college to be home for thanksgivings. When at home, the spark plug blew and the threads were stripped. We have to give him another car to return while we fix this issue. I will fix it and then sell it because it looks like this issue could reoccur. I also have a 2006 expedition but it looks like ford fixed the issues since then. I am very disappointed in such a serious issues not being addressed. Now I know why the resale on the F150s are so low. I will avoid them in the future.

- , Georgetown, TX, USA

Jul 222011

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

Spark plug blew out. Now that I know how wide spread the defect is, I'm concerned about the other plugs. As the engine ages and the other threads accumulate addition stress cycles, it is very likely they will fail too. I'm not sure if Ford performs life cycle fatigue analysis on threads or just uses a design standard with an assumed margin designed in. Either way, the standard needs to be revisited or the analysis revised (this is of little help to me). This is certainly a design flaw. Even if some of the occurrences have been aggravated by over torqueing, a good design would have adequate margin to accommodate such variation.

- , Littleton, CO, USA

Oct 122010

F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8

Found out this was a common problem for Fords. I never thought I would experience owning a vehicle that had a reputation for spitting out spark plugs. All plugs were torqued to specification, which Ford says causes the problem.

- , Marietta, GA, USA

Feb 052011

F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L

For the second time in a month my truck blew a dam spark plug out of the engine. What the hell? So just to be safe I spent an extra 200 buck (which I don't really have) and had Ford fix the other two cylinders before they could blow out. Now I do have an after market warranty but they don't cover everything. They will not cover some of the labor and they don't cover the coils when the spark plugs take them out. That right there cost me 250 bucks times two, so 500 bucks in a month plus the extra 200. Ford needs to put there big girl panties on, step up and do what is right by there customers.

- , Redlands, CA, US

Mar 022011

F-150 4.6L V8

This needs to be a recall or some remedy from Ford, this is the second time this has happened. 2 different cylinders and both times it destroyed the coil pack. Maybe a class action lawsuit is in order.

- , Ilion, NY, USA

Mar 072011

F-150 4.6L

Got in started, sounded like world war 3, I was late for work ,very upset no idea what it takes to fix

- , Millbury, MA, USA

Jan 082011

F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L

I am just now finding out that this is a big problem and Ford won't do anything about it. This is the last Ford I will ever own. I got a Ford truck because they were supposed to be the best. They cannot be the best if the company wont stand behind there product.

- , Redlands, CA, US

Aug 122010

F-150 5.4

I think this is total BS on Fords behalf by not doing anything or even acknowledging this problem. They say they know nothing about problem, but you talk to mechanics, auto part stores they all know its a common problem. I am doing repair myself, and can not find anyone that is willing to look at the head to see if it is repairable. As soon as you mention its a Ford F 150 they say "I wont even touch it". The mechanics I have talked to say that ford supposedly redesigned the spark plug, but I really don't know. I did get a couple estimates of about $3500.00 for the repair. There should be a recall on this and a class action lawsuit.

- , Delavan, IL, USA

Sep 032010

F-150 5.4L V8

For the second time in a year, we have become part of the "spark plug poppin" club. Would really like to know how Ford can not be responsible for this faulty design. The frst time, was in the front of the head, was a $978 dollar repair. This time it is in the back and the mechanic says they will probably have to take off the head to repair, have not gotten an estimate yet. After reading all the complaints and how dangerous this issue is, I can not understand how Ford is not making this a recall on these vehicles, or why there is no class action law suit. When calling the dealership they say they have never heard of it, which is bull$#@%. Look on the internet, talk to other Ford truck owners, talk to your mechanic, they have all heard of it, and say it is a costly repair.

- , Hebron, IN, USA

Aug 202010

F-150 V8

My F-150 Triton engine has spark plug ejection issues. Guys at work printed off information on this from FordProblems.com. It tells you not to let dealers charge you $700 or more for a simple HeliCoil Kit. It was too late. My truck started missing, making a noise like something hitting everytime the belt went around, it smelled of gas, couldn't seem to get any power and I felt like I had to keep one foot on the gas and the other on the brake when I came to a red light. I got it to the closest gargage, the one I bought it at. When I mentioned this report about being overcharged, the manager told me that it wasn't a Ford garage and it cost over $200 for the tool to fix it. I should have asked for the tool since I paid for it!! I guess they won't charge the next guy that much since I bought the tool. Yeah, right!! I had them call Ford and they claim that it isn't a problem and that they've only had it happen to three people. After talking about it at work, I found another employee that had this problem. He had it fixed between $200-$300. Apparently this is a Ford problem that they don't want to pay for.

- , Sharpsville, PA, USA

Apr 112010

F-150 Supercrew 5.4L

I believe the problem is a manufacturing problem, not a design problem. The frequency appears to be too few for a design problem. #3 spark plug is the most common, mine too, but plug #4 also blows out.

- , Harleysville, PA, USA