1. helicoil kit (24 reports)
  3. redrill and replace spark plug (6 reports)
  4. pull the head and rethread it (3 reports)
  5. replaced spark plug (3 reports)
  6. ford says pull the engine and replace the entire head (2 reports)
2001 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford F-150:

2001 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Dec 232011

F-150 4.6L V8

Ford has to know there is a problem with the 1999 to 2005 engines, or they are total idiots. I have owned seven Ford trucks since 1979. Once I am over this fiasco I will probably chose another Make. Someone at Ford needs to "grow a set" and "man-up" and address this problem.

- , Dameron, MD, USA

Nov 252011

F-150 XLT 4.6L V8

My son traveled 350 miles from college to be home for thanksgivings. When at home, the spark plug blew and the threads were stripped. We have to give him another car to return while we fix this issue. I will fix it and then sell it because it looks like this issue could reoccur. I also have a 2006 expedition but it looks like ford fixed the issues since then. I am very disappointed in such a serious issues not being addressed. Now I know why the resale on the F150s are so low. I will avoid them in the future.

- , Georgetown, TX, USA

Jul 222011

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

Spark plug blew out. Now that I know how wide spread the defect is, I'm concerned about the other plugs. As the engine ages and the other threads accumulate addition stress cycles, it is very likely they will fail too. I'm not sure if Ford performs life cycle fatigue analysis on threads or just uses a design standard with an assumed margin designed in. Either way, the standard needs to be revisited or the analysis revised (this is of little help to me). This is certainly a design flaw. Even if some of the occurrences have been aggravated by over torqueing, a good design would have adequate margin to accommodate such variation.

- , Littleton, CO, USA

Oct 122010

F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8

Found out this was a common problem for Fords. I never thought I would experience owning a vehicle that had a reputation for spitting out spark plugs. All plugs were torqued to specification, which Ford says causes the problem.

- , Marietta, GA, USA

Feb 052011

F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L

For the second time in a month my truck blew a dam spark plug out of the engine. What the hell? So just to be safe I spent an extra 200 buck (which I don't really have) and had Ford fix the other two cylinders before they could blow out. Now I do have an after market warranty but they don't cover everything. They will not cover some of the labor and they don't cover the coils when the spark plugs take them out. That right there cost me 250 bucks times two, so 500 bucks in a month plus the extra 200. Ford needs to put there big girl panties on, step up and do what is right by there customers.

- , Redlands, CA, USA

Mar 022011

F-150 4.6L V8

This needs to be a recall or some remedy from Ford, this is the second time this has happened. 2 different cylinders and both times it destroyed the coil pack. Maybe a class action lawsuit is in order.

- , Ilion, NY, USA

Mar 072011

F-150 4.6L

Got in started, sounded like world war 3, I was late for work ,very upset no idea what it takes to fix

- , Millbury, MA, USA

Jan 082011

F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L

I am just now finding out that this is a big problem and Ford won't do anything about it. This is the last Ford I will ever own. I got a Ford truck because they were supposed to be the best. They cannot be the best if the company wont stand behind there product.

- , Redlands, CA, USA

Aug 122010

F-150 5.4

I think this is total BS on Fords behalf by not doing anything or even acknowledging this problem. They say they know nothing about problem, but you talk to mechanics, auto part stores they all know its a common problem. I am doing repair myself, and can not find anyone that is willing to look at the head to see if it is repairable. As soon as you mention its a Ford F 150 they say "I wont even touch it". The mechanics I have talked to say that ford supposedly redesigned the spark plug, but I really don't know. I did get a couple estimates of about $3500.00 for the repair. There should be a recall on this and a class action lawsuit.

- , Delavan, IL, USA

Sep 032010

F-150 5.4L V8

For the second time in a year, we have become part of the "spark plug poppin" club. Would really like to know how Ford can not be responsible for this faulty design. The frst time, was in the front of the head, was a $978 dollar repair. This time it is in the back and the mechanic says they will probably have to take off the head to repair, have not gotten an estimate yet. After reading all the complaints and how dangerous this issue is, I can not understand how Ford is not making this a recall on these vehicles, or why there is no class action law suit. When calling the dealership they say they have never heard of it, which is bull$#@%. Look on the internet, talk to other Ford truck owners, talk to your mechanic, they have all heard of it, and say it is a costly repair.

- , Hebron, IN, USA

Aug 202010

F-150 V8

My F-150 Triton engine has spark plug ejection issues. Guys at work printed off information on this from It tells you not to let dealers charge you $700 or more for a simple HeliCoil Kit. It was too late. My truck started missing, making a noise like something hitting everytime the belt went around, it smelled of gas, couldn't seem to get any power and I felt like I had to keep one foot on the gas and the other on the brake when I came to a red light. I got it to the closest gargage, the one I bought it at. When I mentioned this report about being overcharged, the manager told me that it wasn't a Ford garage and it cost over $200 for the tool to fix it. I should have asked for the tool since I paid for it!! I guess they won't charge the next guy that much since I bought the tool. Yeah, right!! I had them call Ford and they claim that it isn't a problem and that they've only had it happen to three people. After talking about it at work, I found another employee that had this problem. He had it fixed between $200-$300. Apparently this is a Ford problem that they don't want to pay for.

- , Sharpsville, PA, USA

Apr 112010

F-150 Supercrew 5.4L

I believe the problem is a manufacturing problem, not a design problem. The frequency appears to be too few for a design problem. #3 spark plug is the most common, mine too, but plug #4 also blows out.

- , Harleysville, PA, USA

Mar 212009

F-150 4x4 4.6L

driving along at 70 mph. Loud noise like blown tire. Pulled over, noticing no handling problem. Still heard the noise even at a stop with engine idling. Knew immediately it had spit out a spark plug. Internet research indicates I am far from along. Ford dealer says the only fix they'll warrant is to pull the engine and replace the head at a cost of about $2000.

No more Fords!