8.4

1. helicoil kit (24 reports)
  3. redrill and replace spark plug (7 reports)
  4. replaced spark plug (4 reports)
  5. got same response from local auto mechanic. cost $4000 (3 reports)
  6. pull the head and rethread it (3 reports)
2001 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford F-150:

2001 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Apr 192017

F-150 Lariat V8

I had never heard of popping or blowing out spark plugs before yesterday but it happened while I was driving and I was able to get it to the shop. When I got home I found articles about this issue and it is troubling that it's something happening with Ford trucks.

- , Lawrenceville, GA, US

Mar 062017

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

Original owner of truck. Always maintained to last 300,000 miles. Used in extreme conditions from desert heat

to -20 deg. with children or grandchildren aboard. Never knew very large problem existed. No longer trust

the truck and need to sell. Fords problem will cost me tens of thousands for another truck, when my old would have lasted me another eight years if blowing spark plugs had not occurred.

- , Pelzer, US

Nov 202016

F-150 Super Crew Cab 4.6L

My Husband and I bought a house in Coeur d Alene, Idaho. While on our way up there, another plug blew out(for the second time), stripping the threads in the heads, causing it to be undrivable. we were told by a mechanic, that it needs a new head on that side. Will cost at least $1,500 to repair. Since we were on the road, we had to have it towed to Coeur d Alene, ID, from Biggs Junction, OR, costing almost $1,000. It has happened a few times before, causing us to pay to have it towed to a shop, and pay for repairs. Now that we are in our new home, we can't even use our truck to get furniture or bring things home from our storage here. It really pisses me off, and has turned what should be a wonderful thing, like moving into our new home, a major pain!

- , Coeur D Alene, ID, US

Nov 212016

F-150 4.6L,V8(281ci)

This has been very expensive to repair. Since Ford has been aware of the problem for years, a fix should have been made available to owners of this type of truck.

- , Goleta, CA, USA

Jun 152016

F-150 Supercrew 5.4L

Ford really sucks dicks by not owning up on sh*tty design and not fixing problem. I'm looking to buy a kit to repair next plug hole but see so many mixed reviews on which one to buy I don't want to spend 400 for a junk kit that works for a month ford should have a kit for sale cheap so you can fix yourself if you can

- , Aguanga, CA, USA

Nov 012016

F-150 5.4L

THIS IS THE THIRD TIME THAT I HAVE HAD THIS ISSUE. I SEE THAT THERE IS A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT FOR 05-08 FORD 5.4 ENGINE PLUG ISSUES. THERE SEEMS TO BE A PROBLEM WITH MORE THAN THOSE YEARS. THIS TIME I HAVE THREADS MESSED UP ON TWO CYLINDERS, TRYING TO FIND A FIX FOR THOSE STILL.

FORD KNOWS THIS ISSUE IS THERE BUT SEEMS TO KEEP SILENT...

- , Layton, UT, USA

Oct 142016

F-150 XLT 5.4L

Blew out plug #8 this time. First one, about 9 months ago, was Plug #7. Heli-coil fixed first one, for $400. Should fix this one, too. But, REALLY? Ford should fix these.

- , Arvada, CO, USA

Sep 252016

F-150 4.6L V8

click to see larger images

engine spit out a spark plug

Dad had replaced the spark plug with a helicoil before he gave me the truck. I replaced the boot after the spark plug came loose and broke the previous one. The helicoil and spark plug came out and broke the new boot that has only been replaced for 1 month.

- , Ferguson, MO, USA

May 132016

F-150 XLT 5.4L

The world knows that this is a common problem with this vehicle and Ford ignores it. Guess my next truck will be a Toyota.

- , Mc Neal, AZ, USA

Mar 302016

F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L V8

This is the 2nd 01 Harley I have had. The first one I did not have any problems, however I only had it for about a year. My 2nd one has been nothing but problems. I have had the spark plug blow out of the engine 4 times!!! Yes, I said 4 times. It is always in 3 or 4 (back passenger side). Twice I had it fixed at an engine shop with an average cost of $250.00.

Last January it blew out while on vacation in FL. I had it towed to a dealer and paid $978.00 to have it fixed. I was sure that this would be the fix. However it blew out again, now I am stuck paying another $618.00 fixing the problem again! I don't understand how Ford does not think this is a problem. I have been a very loyal Ford customer for years, however after this experience I will not be purchasing another Ford product! Own up Ford!

- , FLOWERY BRANCH, GA, USA

Mar 092016

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

What a piece of crap this truck is turning out to be. I started driving Toyota's a long time ago but with the cost difference between an old Toyota truck and a Ford and the fact that I used to own a T100 and could never get the AC fixed properly because Toyota wanted a small fortune for the parts, I chose the F150, and maybe I saw that damned commercial too many times and actually started to think the trucks were "Built Ford Tough".

Anyway, I'm glad it doesn't require pulling the head but I'm ready for the endless stream of stupid repairs to stop already. I should have just bought a new crate engine but each time it's another $500 to $1000 and I just gamble that nothing new will happen.

I only bought that truck to tow my damn boat and barely drive the thing and I don't even drive it hard or abuse it in any way. These Ford engines are one step forward and 2 steps backwards. You would think that something as simple as keeping the spark plugs in place wouldn't be a problem, well think again.

I did a quick search on the internet to assess what I was looking at in terms of the extent of the problem and a search on "Blown Spark Plug" turned up a page full of Ford hits. I didn't even type in the word Ford. I am astounded that this is a common problem. I'll bet blowing a spark plug on any other brand of truck or vehicle is nearly unheard of and only happens when the engine has been messed with. I own a Toyota minivan and you know the damn thing just runs and never needs major engine work and it has more miles than my Ford truck.

So once again I'm forking over big bucks and hoping the truck will just run a while longer without blowing up because at this point I can't afford to do anything but keep it and pray.

- , Washington, IL, USA

Jan 102015

F-150 XLT 4.6L V8

This particular problem has occurred twice. Once - January 2015 - in the middle of nowhere (I had no idea what it was but the tow truck driver knew immediately!) and another time in October of 2015. Truck started running rough this past month and was repaired before it blew out another one. Shop recommends replacing the head for almost $6,000. I'm checking around with other shops but I am beyond disgusted. I love this truck and was planning to give it to my older daughter, but there's no way that I will entrust her safety to this truck anymore while it has this engine. I have been a "Ford man" practically my whole life, and I have a 1970 F100 in addition to the 2001 F150. The F100 is apparently better made and more dependable, and my next truck might be a Dodge or GMC if Ford doesn't own up to this mess with the spark plugs. I just couldn't stomach a Chevrolet, even though the GMC is from the same company. I looked at new Fords, and the problems with my current truck and the cost of new ones has me outraged.

- , Martinez, GA, USA

Dec 012015

F-150 SLT V8

This is the first time this happened. And I had just got the truck out of the repair shop for an unrelated repair. What i find significant about this is that it couldn't be detected by a professional several hours before it blew out! When it did blow, it was the most awful sound I have ever heard an engine make, I thought a belt must have broken and it was flopping around under the hood. No way could it be driven. Had to use another AAA tow just to my house less than 3 miles away. And wait an hour and half for the tow truck. The shop I use was already closed for the day so I had to use another AAA tow back to the shop the next day. I was told this is a common occurrence for this make and model....???? I am no mechanic, however, my father owned and operated a truck repair shop, towing business and then a full service auto wrecking yard. As a result, I spent many hours at these places of business and drove an extensive variety of vehicles he obtained throughout the years. I have NEVER heard of, let alone experienced a problem like this. So this is common??? Something is wrong here.

Jan 252016

F-150 SLT V8

Here we go again. Spark plug blow out number 3. In less than two months. Different area this time. This is not right. There is a design defect somewhere. This is not normal and I guess it's time to dump the crappy ford. I have spent quite a bit of money on it it, buying it a year ago for 6500 at 140,000 miles. I should have known. I've never had a ford make 175,0000.

When this happens, the vehicle is not drivable. I have AAA AND HAVE ALREADY USED ALL TOWS FOR THE YEAR, This should be a recall of some sort. I'm sure the previous owner experienced this too.

Dec 312015

F-150 SLT V8

2nd time a spark plug popped out. This one was next to the first one. I'm thinking this is not a fixable problem.

Dec 212015

F-150 4.6L Triton

For a common problem, Ford, actually my favorite auto manufacturer, should own up and repair.

- , Weslaco, TX, USA

Nov 072015

F-150 5.4L V8

I think Ford should do a recall because this is their fault that this has happen and they need to do something about it because this can be a costly repair.

- , Thawville, IL, USA

Jul 032015

F-150 XLT 5.4L

Taking my brother to see Mom, he came in from Texas. On the way there another spark plug blew out of the engine. Ford should be responsible for these repairs.

- , Pueblo, CO, USA

Jun 042015

F-150 XLT 5.4L

I say FORD should be responsible for the repair on these engines. They knew about it, let them repair or be responsible for the repairs.

- , Pueblo, CO, USA

May 022015

F-150 Lighting 5.4L V8

I have a 1976 Mustang with excess of mechanical limits of odometer in miles, no problems1995 Ranger 370,00+ miles, no problem. My dream truck with only 54000 miles just popped #6 spark plug. I'm calling Ford & raising pure hell still original does not fail with this low miles, they know it`s an issue and shouldn't stick their head in the sand & wait till it goes away!!! Only way to change is to do something about it.

- , Taylors, SC, USA