1. helicoil kit (24 reports)
  3. redrill and replace spark plug (6 reports)
  4. pull the head and rethread it (3 reports)
  5. replaced spark plug (3 reports)
  6. ford says pull the engine and replace the entire head (2 reports)
2001 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford F-150:

2001 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 142016

F-150 XLT 5.4L

Blew out plug #8 this time. First one, about 9 months ago, was Plug #7. Heli-coil fixed first one, for $400. Should fix this one, too. But, REALLY? Ford should fix these.

- , Arvada, CO, USA

Sep 252016

F-150 4.6L V8

click to see larger images

engine spit out a spark plug

Dad had replaced the spark plug with a helicoil before he gave me the truck. I replaced the boot after the spark plug came loose and broke the previous one. The helicoil and spark plug came out and broke the new boot that has only been replaced for 1 month.

- , Ferguson, MO, USA

May 132016

F-150 XLT 5.4L

The world knows that this is a common problem with this vehicle and Ford ignores it. Guess my next truck will be a Toyota.

- , Mc Neal, AZ, USA

Mar 302016

F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L V8

This is the 2nd 01 Harley I have had. The first one I did not have any problems, however I only had it for about a year. My 2nd one has been nothing but problems. I have had the spark plug blow out of the engine 4 times!!! Yes, I said 4 times. It is always in 3 or 4 (back passenger side). Twice I had it fixed at an engine shop with an average cost of $250.00.

Last January it blew out while on vacation in FL. I had it towed to a dealer and paid $978.00 to have it fixed. I was sure that this would be the fix. However it blew out again, now I am stuck paying another $618.00 fixing the problem again! I don't understand how Ford does not think this is a problem. I have been a very loyal Ford customer for years, however after this experience I will not be purchasing another Ford product! Own up Ford!

Mar 092016

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

What a piece of crap this truck is turning out to be. I started driving Toyota's a long time ago but with the cost difference between an old Toyota truck and a Ford and the fact that I used to own a T100 and could never get the AC fixed properly because Toyota wanted a small fortune for the parts, I chose the F150, and maybe I saw that damned commercial too many times and actually started to think the trucks were "Built Ford Tough".

Anyway, I'm glad it doesn't require pulling the head but I'm ready for the endless stream of stupid repairs to stop already. I should have just bought a new crate engine but each time it's another $500 to $1000 and I just gamble that nothing new will happen.

I only bought that truck to tow my damn boat and barely drive the thing and I don't even drive it hard or abuse it in any way. These Ford engines are one step forward and 2 steps backwards. You would think that something as simple as keeping the spark plugs in place wouldn't be a problem, well think again.

I did a quick search on the internet to assess what I was looking at in terms of the extent of the problem and a search on "Blown Spark Plug" turned up a page full of Ford hits. I didn't even type in the word Ford. I am astounded that this is a common problem. I'll bet blowing a spark plug on any other brand of truck or vehicle is nearly unheard of and only happens when the engine has been messed with. I own a Toyota minivan and you know the damn thing just runs and never needs major engine work and it has more miles than my Ford truck.

So once again I'm forking over big bucks and hoping the truck will just run a while longer without blowing up because at this point I can't afford to do anything but keep it and pray.

- , Washington, IL, USA

Jan 102015

F-150 XLT 4.6L V8

This particular problem has occurred twice. Once - January 2015 - in the middle of nowhere (I had no idea what it was but the tow truck driver knew immediately!) and another time in October of 2015. Truck started running rough this past month and was repaired before it blew out another one. Shop recommends replacing the head for almost $6,000. I'm checking around with other shops but I am beyond disgusted. I love this truck and was planning to give it to my older daughter, but there's no way that I will entrust her safety to this truck anymore while it has this engine. I have been a "Ford man" practically my whole life, and I have a 1970 F100 in addition to the 2001 F150. The F100 is apparently better made and more dependable, and my next truck might be a Dodge or GMC if Ford doesn't own up to this mess with the spark plugs. I just couldn't stomach a Chevrolet, even though the GMC is from the same company. I looked at new Fords, and the problems with my current truck and the cost of new ones has me outraged.

- , Martinez, GA, USA

Dec 012015

F-150 SLT V8

This is the first time this happened. And I had just got the truck out of the repair shop for an unrelated repair. What i find significant about this is that it couldn't be detected by a professional several hours before it blew out! When it did blow, it was the most awful sound I have ever heard an engine make, I thought a belt must have broken and it was flopping around under the hood. No way could it be driven. Had to use another AAA tow just to my house less than 3 miles away. And wait an hour and half for the tow truck. The shop I use was already closed for the day so I had to use another AAA tow back to the shop the next day. I was told this is a common occurrence for this make and model....???? I am no mechanic, however, my father owned and operated a truck repair shop, towing business and then a full service auto wrecking yard. As a result, I spent many hours at these places of business and drove an extensive variety of vehicles he obtained throughout the years. I have NEVER heard of, let alone experienced a problem like this. So this is common??? Something is wrong here.

Jan 252016

F-150 SLT V8

Here we go again. Spark plug blow out number 3. In less than two months. Different area this time. This is not right. There is a design defect somewhere. This is not normal and I guess it's time to dump the crappy ford. I have spent quite a bit of money on it it, buying it a year ago for 6500 at 140,000 miles. I should have known. I've never had a ford make 175,0000.

When this happens, the vehicle is not drivable. I have AAA AND HAVE ALREADY USED ALL TOWS FOR THE YEAR, This should be a recall of some sort. I'm sure the previous owner experienced this too.

Dec 312015

F-150 SLT V8

2nd time a spark plug popped out. This one was next to the first one. I'm thinking this is not a fixable problem.

Dec 212015

F-150 4.6L Triton

For a common problem, Ford, actually my favorite auto manufacturer, should own up and repair.

- , Weslaco, TX, USA

Nov 072015

F-150 5.4L V8

I think Ford should do a recall because this is their fault that this has happen and they need to do something about it because this can be a costly repair.

- , Thawville, IL, USA

Jul 032015

F-150 XLT 5.4L

Taking my brother to see Mom, he came in from Texas. On the way there another spark plug blew out of the engine. Ford should be responsible for these repairs.

- , Pueblo, CO, USA

Jun 042015

F-150 XLT 5.4L

I say FORD should be responsible for the repair on these engines. They knew about it, let them repair or be responsible for the repairs.

- , Pueblo, CO, USA

May 022015

F-150 Lighting 5.4L V8

I have a 1976 Mustang with excess of mechanical limits of odometer in miles, no problems1995 Ranger 370,00+ miles, no problem. My dream truck with only 54000 miles just popped #6 spark plug. I'm calling Ford & raising pure hell still original does not fail with this low miles, they know it`s an issue and shouldn't stick their head in the sand & wait till it goes away!!! Only way to change is to do something about it.

- , Taylors, SC, USA

Jun 022015

F-150 Lariat Supercrew 5.4L V8

Well well well.....there I was with a replacement engine in my truck from salvage yard. I get the engine dropped in my truck drove it home on the interstate and boom...heard something like exhaust leak.... I pull off the interstate to lift my hood. There I find my spark plug and coil blown off. Needless to say I was very upset. Also my threads are stripped. This will be a $57 fix for me thanks to the guy who installed it. Ford Motor Company the only reason why I have stuck by you for so long is because Of MY Grandfather stuck beside you guys!! I do believe it my be time to move on with my next truck I invest in.

- , Macon, GA, USA

May 222015

F-150 4.6L V8

Lucky it happened close to home and could drive to two miles to my mechanic. This is the second 2001 Ford I have owned that did this.

- , Phoenix, USA

Apr 072015

F-150 HD 5.4L

FORD 150 5.4L has this common problem and Ford is no doing anything. this problem was repaired on 4/9/15 and then the repair failed on 4/22/15. repair perform by Ford dealer.

- , Graysville, TN, USA

Apr 082015

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

Spark plug "blew" out of head and also broke C.O.P. coil. This happened within 1/2 mile of home. Wasn't sure of what had "popped" until I raised hood and found spark plug lying on top of the head and the damaged coil. Unable to drive vehicle to repair center (as it is now un-driveable). Hope to get a "fix" and quote over the phone?

Update from May 1, 2015: Repair tech recommended a Helicoil Repair Kit to fix this issue. Repair cost under $200 and has worked so far (fingers crossed).

Update from May 1, 2015: Repair tech recommended a Heli-coil kit. Parts + labor =$160.00 solution that has far.

- , Thomasville, GA, USA

Dec 262014

F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8

Ford engines of this vintage are notorious for blowing spark plugs, FORD SHOULD NEVER HAVE ALLOWED THIS DESIGN OFF THE ASSEMBLY LINE.

The spark plug was replaced using a helicoil, very expensive to have done by a mechanic (and each of my 8 spark plugs has the potential to blow, 1 down, 7 to go)

- , Elko, NV, USA

Nov 222014

F-150 King Cab 5.3L V8

This problem should be a Class Action Lawsuit. I had a fire at a stop sign. Luckily I had a fire extinguisher. It could have killed me when I first opened the hood and the fire exploded out of the engine department.

- , Astoria, OR, USA