2001 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford F-150:

2001 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Jul 102009

On 7/10/09 (Friday) my Ford 2001 F150 supercrew was parked at my residents around 7:30pm. About 30 mins. After the vehicle was turned off, smoke began to come out of the hood, drivers side. It smoked for about 5-10 mins. I lift the hood and saw the wires and connection plug to the speed control deactivation switch was still smoldlering. After it cold down I disconnected the plug from the switch (the total damage at this time seems to be the faulty speed control deactivation switch, the switch connection plug and some wires leading up to the plug). On 7/13/09(Monday)I had the vehicle towed to my local mechanic to inspect and repair the damage.I also placed a claim with my insurance co..along with calling the nears Ford dealer(about 50 miles away) and got a "will call you back" answer, also they were suppose to have disconnected the switch three years prior when I had the vehicle in to them for routine maintenance ( I was sent a notice of recall from Ford Motor Corp. Along with the dealers computer flagging it too for this problem), I also called Ford's 800 customer service hotline and filed a report with them (they said I did not have to take the vehicle to the dealer since I had already filed a insurance claim and had it already towed to a repair shop. As of 5:00 pm pst, on 7/13/09 I am waiting for my insurance agent to look at the vehicle and authorize repair. I am having the repair shop save the old parts.

- Plymouth, CA, USA

May 162009

2001 Ford F150 caught on fire outside my house yesterday. It had been parked for about 45 mins. To an hour. It looks like most of the heat damage is on the drivers side part of the vehicle. The fire department finally came and put out the fire. Damage was contained to the engine and the outside of the vehicle that was submitted to the higher temperatures. The inside has a strong smell of burnt plastic.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

May 142009

Just got home and parked my truck. I left 15 minutes later in my other vehicle. While I was gone (approx. 20 minutes later) my truck caught on fire. Looks like the cruise control switch on the brake master cylinder, which is a Ford recall. My neighbors put out the fire. This is the first action I have taken.

- El Cajon, CA, USA

May 062009

F-150 8-cyl

2001 Ford F150 truck has a recall for the cruise control harness. The consumer stated the cruise control harness was replaced under recall, but at the time of replacement, the switch was not leaking, but now it is leaking. The consumer took the vehicle back to the dealer, but was told the recall was closed out and there was nothing they could do but charge him to fix it.

- Ocala, FL, USA

Mar 112009

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F-150. The vehicle caught fire while parked outside the contact's place of work. The fire department was notified, but did not state what caused the fire. The fire burned the motor, created a hole through the hood of the vehicle, and scorched the entire dashboard. The windshield glass burst into pieces and the vehicle was towed to his residence. The Ford dealer filed a case and followed-up with the contact within 15 business days and informed him that someone would diagnose the vehicle. The contact was also informed that there was a recall for the cruise control. The VIN and NHTSA campaign id number were unknown. The failure and current mileages were 197,000. Updated 04/17/09. Updated 04/20/09.

- Bolivar, TN, USA

Mar 072009

On sat March 7, 2009 T aprox 12:30 am my 2001 Ford F-150 pick up burst into flames while parked in my driveway. It had been parked for about 3 hours prior to the fire. The fire caught my home on fire. Myself and my 8 year old son as well as our 4 dogs were in the house sleeping. Luckily I heard an explosion and woke up and got my son and pets out of the house safely. The house was severely damaged and will have to be rebuilt. The truck wa totally burned up. I have since found out that there was a problem with the cruise control switch causing fires. Unfortunately I never received a recall notice.

- Middlesex, NJ, USA

Jan 132008

I was woken up by someone knocking on my apartment door to let me know that my truck was on fire. I attempted to put the fire out by filling cooking pans with water and dousing the flames but to no avail. The fire dept along with the police showed up and the front part of the truck is all burned up.

- Jonesboro, GA, USA

Dec 262008

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F-150. While the vehicle was parked in a parking lot, smoke appeared from the front end of the vehicle. Flames appeared underneath the hood. The building security extinguished the fire. The fire department was not called to the scene. The failure occurred without warning or injuries. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer for inspection. The failure was related to the cruise control switch. The vehicle has not been repaired. The VIN was unknown. The failure and current mileages were 198,000.

- Elkton, VA, USA

Dec 182008

Truck caught fire sitting in the driveway due to cruise control switch that was on recall list. I knew nothing of the recall until the fire department told me that was what happened.

- Red Oak, TX, USA

Dec 052008

Throttle sticks after steady driving in cold/snow because of Ford's poor design, they even state it in Ford article no. 01-21-5. has happened may times to me. I just finally got an answer to the problem. The fix is over $500, and I don't have the money. It is their poor design, this just does not seem fair. I have had several close calls due to this problem, there really should be a recall on this.

- Wanamingo, MN, USA

Sep 032008

What good is it to respond to a recall of a F150 cruise control when they don't have the parts and you have to make 3-4 trips to get the work done. Then they say they have the part but don't do the work and your back again.....I'm a long time Ford customer but this is ridiculous...then your Agency urges motorists to respond to the about kicking those Ford execs in their pockets.

- League City , TX, USA

Aug 072008

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the vehicle caught fire due to a defective cruise control. A police report was filed. She never received a recall notice from the manufacturer. The current and failure mileages were 99,000. Updated 10/28/08

- Caguas, PR, USA

May 192008

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F150. On May 19, 2008 after being parked for twelve hours, the vehicle caught fire. A week after the fire, May 26, 2008 the contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign id number 05V388000 (vehicle speed control). The fire department stated that the fire was caused by the cruise control being wired through the brakes. A police report was filed. The failure mileage was 100,000. Updated 11-19-08 updated 11/19/08.

- Pitman, NJ, USA

Aug 312008

I own a 2001 Ford F-150 crewcab I went to work I parked I clocked in @ 3pm by 6:37 my truck was on fire it was parked for 3.5 hrs before it started to burn.

- Rialto, CA, USA

Aug 142008

The car was parked in the parking lot out side of my work. Someone told me that my car was on fire. I went out and sure enough it was on fire burning from the engine compartment. It is a total loss. : (

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 182008

Cruise control switch started fire and destroyed my 2001 Ford supercrew F-150 truck. Truck was sitting in drive way unattended.

- Haslet, TX, USA

May 262008

On the evening of 5-26-08 my son returned from work @ 11:00 pm. At 11:28 pm my neighbor was banging on my door yelling fire. When I went outside I could see that my 2001 Ford F150 truck engine compartment was fully engulfed in flames. I ran outside and started putting out the fire while my neighbors daughter called 911. The fire dept. Came out and extinguished the fire. The following week I contacted Ford consumer line and was informed by a lady named melanie that Ford did not have me listed as the owner of the truck and that she would forward my info to the claims dept. The next week I received a letter stating that because Ford had sent me 5 recall letters that they did not feel responsible for anything. The problem I have is that I never received any recall letters and how could they send me them if I did not show up on their records as being the registered owner.

- Magnolia, TX, USA

May 222008

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F150 super crew. The contact stated that his vehicle caught fire while parked. The fire department extinguished the fire and stated that the fire extended from cruise control module to the master cylinder. The fire destroyed the vehicle. A fire department report is available. The current and failure mileages were 75,000.

- Wes Laco, TX, USA

Apr 202008

F-150 6-cyl

2001 F150 caught fire under hood while sitting in driveway. Completely destroyed. 8 days later I received a safety recall notice in the mail. Had very few payments left. I had around $18,000 invested in the vehicle. This makes me sick.

- Morristown, TN, USA

Aug 152007

F-150 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F150. The contact received a safety recall notice in August of 2007 for the vehicle speed control. He called Ford four different times since then and was informed that the part would be available every month thereafter. There had been no failure to date. The recall number and purchase date were unknown. The current mileage was 57,000. Remailed form 04/22/08. Updated 5/20/08

- Crosby, TX, USA