2001 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford F-150:

2001 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Jul 272007

F-150 8-cyl

2001 Ford F150 caught fire under the hood. Consumer states that she never received a recall for the speed control switch. Consumer would like the truck to be replaced. She states that the insurance is being of no assistance.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Jan 022008

F-150

Recall for 05S28 speed control device, car burst into flames under the hood, engine burned, car totaled - recall notification was not received by actual vehicle owner. Ford Motor Co. Said letters were mailed on 10/05, 11/06 and 12/07. I was not the owner of the vehicle until 6/06 and I never received the mentioned 1/07 letter. Car was taken to dealer twice (after purchased) to do the oil/filter change and I was never informed about the recall.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Dec 062007

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F150. The contact stated that her vehicle caught fire during the early morning hours. The fire was claimed to have been caused by the defect mentioned in NHTSA campaign id number 05V388000 (vehicle speed control). The contact filed a complaint with the manufacturer. A police report was filed. The current and failure mileages were 72,000. Updated01/08/08

- New Orleans, LA, USA

May 292007

F-150 6-cyl

After driving home from work about 5 miles the truck was parked in my drive way about 20 minutes later I had a next store neighbor knocking on my door stating that my truck was on fire. Fire department came to put it out. A neighbor also told me of a recall on the truck due to truck fires and I went online and noticed that the recall started before it was bought from a Ford dealership after looking into it the recall was not done before the purchase was made even though they knew of the situation. I was also not notified from Ford through any means of any recall needed on the truck its self before or even after the incident.

- Tullahoma, TN, USA

Nov 012007

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

The vehicle was parked. At 4am, the truck was discovered in flames from the engine compartment. The entire engine compartment, tires, front body, windshield - was completely destroyed. The police and fire department respond. Have reports.

- San Ysidro, CA, USA

Oct 182007

F-150 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F150. In 2002, the vehicle was taken to the dealer regarding a recall on the vehicle speed control switch. The dealer stated that the vehicle did not need to be repaired at that time. On October 18, 2007, the vehicle was parked in front of the contact's house after a short trip. One hour later, the vehicle caught fire. The insurance company is currently investigating the fire. The recall number was unknown. The current and failure mileages were 120,000.

- Searcy, AR, USA

Oct 092007

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F-150. The vehicle caught fire while parked in the drive way. The dealer confirmed that the cause was due to the vehicle speed control and towed the vehicle. The dealer also stated that they do not have any records that the vehicle was purchased at their location. The vehicle was destroyed. Ford manufacturer stated that they mailed a recall notice to the owner; however, the contact verified that the address on file was incorrect. A police report is available. The manufacture stated they will not repair or give her assistance with this vehicle. The current and failure mileage was 130,000.

- Pottsboro, TX, USA

Aug 282007

F-150 8-cyl

My 2001 Ford F-150 supercrew caught fire spontaneously after sitting parked for several hours.

- Universal City, TX, USA

Jul 272005

F-150 8-cyl

2001 Ford Expedition ignited into flames causing our clients mobile home and all of it contents to be lost. Fire department stated that the fire originated in the vehicle.

- Edinburg, TX, USA

May 122007

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F150. Approximately fifteen minutes after parking the vehicle, the contact noticed fire ascending from under the hood. The firefighter stated that the fire was caused due to a defect on the speed control deactivation switch. There is recall # 05V388000 (vehicle speed control). The manufacturer stated that her vehicle was included in the recall. The contact filed a report with the police. The current and failure mileages were 65,000.

- Ft Meyers, FL, USA

Oct 012005

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F-150. While driving 55 mph a clunking noise was heard underneath the hood. When the contact pulled the vehicle over to investigate flames began to rise from under the hood. The mechanic stated that the cause of the fire was due to the speed control harness. The vehicle was destroyed, and the manufacturer stated that they would reimburse the contact for the damage. The contact has not heard from the manufacturer since.

- West Covina, CA, USA

Apr 052007

F-150 4WD

The contact owns a 2001 Ford F-150. While parked in the driveway the vehicle caught on fire. The fire department stated that the fire was due to the engine. The vehicle was destroyed. The owner stated that the cause was directly related to the vehicle speed control. There were no injuries. The current and failure mileage were 52,000.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Feb 242007

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

- the contact called regarding the 2001 Ford F150. The contact was traveling at 60 mph when he started to smell smoke. The contact looked out of the rearview mirror and saw sparks hitting the road. The contact pulled the vehicle over. Looked under the vehicle and saw flames. He then left the vehicle. The vehicle became engulfed in flames and was destroyed. The fire department extinguished the fire and determined the cause of the fire as electrical. The contact was unsure whether a police or fire report was filed. The vehicle was towed away. The failure mileage is approximately 160,000. There were no injuries. Ford claimed the recall had been fixed. Updated 03/19/07.

- Lompoc, CA, USA

Feb 242007

F-150 4WD

I was driving from santa barbara to lompoc along highway 1 around 6:30 P.M. when I first smelled smoke thinking there was a brush fire, but quickly it started to smell like electrical burning. Looking around the truck for the smell while driving I looked out the side mirror to make sure no one was behind me, only to see sparks or small embers flying from my truck onto the highway. Pulling over to the side I jumped out of the truck and pulled my tool box away from the bed to see if something in the back bed was on fire. I could only see flames underneath between the bed and the cab. Fearing explosion I ran to call 911 from my cell phone. Within minutes my truck was engulfed in flames. Nothing left but a big pile of metal. Tools, and golf clubs, gone.

- Lompoc, CA, USA

Dec 162006

F-150 8-cyl

I own a 2001 Ford F-150. On December 16,2006 it caught fire and is now considered a total loss by our insurance company. It has completely burned to the ground. Only the shell of the vehicle and the two flat rear tires are left. The insurance company at this time has not told me the reason this has happened. On Dec. 16th my fiance had driven it into town that morning and returned home and parked it in the yard next to our mobile home. He arrived back at home at about 9:30 am. He took another vehicle down to our neighbors house to do some work on it and about 2:00 pm someone else in our neighborhood came to get him saying his truck was on fire. The fire department said the fire did start in the engine compartment. As a result of the fire our siding on our house was melted and we had a motor home parked in front of it also that had some damage to it. If it was a windy day the flames would have reached the house and it would have burnt to the ground. We have not had any problems with the truck before this had happened. Now that this has happened I have heard of people talking about other truck fires and have found other incidents of this happening while doing research on the internet. This is how I found out about this site and I thought I should report our fire.

- Hernando, FL, USA

Sep 062006

F-150 6-cyl

: the contact stated while parked in a driveway, the vehicle caught fire from the engine compartment. The contact did not notice anything unusual about the way the vehicle was operating before the fire started. The fire department extinguished the fire and determined that the fire was electrical. The manufacturer was contacted and expressed the contact's insurance company would handle the case once a claim was summitted. On 09/08/06, the contact found the recall information on the Ford fires while searching the internet. There was a NHTSA recall #05V388000 (Ford recall #05S28) pertaining to the vehicle speed control.

- Spotsylvania, VA, USA

Apr 232006

F-150 8-cyl

I am requesting a recall for the Ford speed control systems. They are causing uncontrolled accelerations which do not respond to the breaks. I was stopped in a drive through window with my foot on the break. The vehicle was at a full stop. Suddenly while my foot was on the break the engine accelerated out of control. Because my foot was on the break the vehicle was not able to move forward. This was not a mistake of putting my foot on the accelerator because I was preventing the vehicle from moving forward by having my foot on the break. Quickly I placed the vehicle in park preventing it from driving off the end of the drive through. Afterwards I proceeded to conduct research and found that many other people are reporting the same problem. The Ford speed control systems are causing uncontrolled accelerations which lead to severe accidents and deaths.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Aug 012005

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

: the contact stated there is a recall, NHTSA campaign # 05V388000, on the vehicle regarding the vehicle speed control. The parts needed to repair the vehicle are not available at the local dealership. The contact spoke to the manufacturer who has confirmed the parts are not available. Although a interim repair has been performed by the dealer, the part have not been replaced due to the unavailibility of parts.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Oct 202001

F-150

Information in reference to a collision on ga #11. The consumers had loss control of his vehicle rolling over twice, and running off the shoulder of the roadways, tire and skid marks were on the road after the collision. Please review for further investigations.

- Union County, GA, USA

Dec 262003

F-150 6-cyl

The owner picked up the truck after it was serviced for the speed control. The duration of the repair took (2) days. Later, the truck idled abruptly and speed off. The consumer lost control of the truck and crashed into a garage. Please provide any additional information.

- Allentown, PA, USA