2002 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford F-150:

2002 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jan 092011

F-150

The contact owns a 2002 Ford F150. The contact stated that the vehicle caught on fire from under the hood while the vehicle was parked. The fire department was called to assist and a fire report was filed. The fire department was able to extinguish the fire but the vehicle was destroyed. The vehicle was previously included in the recall that could potentially result in a fire under NHTSA campaign id number: 05V388000 (vehicle speed control) yet the vehicle was repaired. The insurance company advised that the fire was caused by the brake fluid which came in contact with a wire from the control module. The manufacturer was contacted and stated that they could not provide any assistance. The approximate failure mileage was 116,000.

- Discovery Bay, CA, USA

Jan 252010

F-150

The contact owns a 2002 Ford F-150. The contact stated that in August of 2010 he received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 05V388000 (vehicle speed control). The vehicle was taken to the dealer for recall repairs and he was informed by the dealer that there were no failures within the component at that time and repairs were not needed. The contact stated that most recently, the cruise control switch failed. The dealer advised that repairs would not be performed under recall because he had previously received recall repairs. The manufacturer advised that according to their records, the vehicle was repaired August 2010. The contact stated that the vehicle was never repaired under the recall and the dealer and manufacturer were refusing to honor the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 147,000.

- Strongsville, OH, USA

Oct 072010

F-150 8-cyl

Our 2002 F150 caught fire while parked in the front of our home. After trying to figure out why our truck caught on fire we found online that there was an open recall on the cruise control/brake safety switch recall from Ford. We called fire department after we put out fire and have record that they came to make sure all harm was out of the way.

- Denver, CO, USA

Sep 082010

F-150

The contact owns a 2002 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while exiting a parkway to get on the highway while driving 55 mph he applied the brakes to yield and the vehicle accelerated without driver intent. He was forced to drive the vehicle on a sidewalk in order to get out of traffic which caused him to lose control of the vehicle and crashed into an embankment. He tried to put the vehicle in neutral but it went into reverse instead. The vehicle accelerated on it's own in reverse and crossed a six lane highway before crashing into a light pole, which finally stopped the vehicle from accelerating. There were no injuries. The vehicle was towed to a storage lot. The state police responded to the scene and filed a report which is available. The vehicle was not repaired. Ford was contacted and could not offer assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 82,200. Updated 11/22/10 updated 11/23/10

- Hempstead , NY, USA

Sep 092010

F-150

My 2002 F150 catch on fire today. The fire seems to have come from the brake master cylinder area.

- Holly Hill, SC, USA

Aug 192010

F-150 8-cyl

Ford F150 had a recalled back in 2005 with the speed control were the deactivation switch may overheat, smoke or burn. Was instructed to take to dealer to disconnect until parts come in was notified on new parts were available which were install. Aug 21 2010 the brake pressure switch started leaking and running from my master cylinder brake pressure switch. This was part of the problem from the vehicle speed control switch part that was leaking. Could not buy part from auto part store.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Apr 062010

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Ford F150 truck, fire from cruise control switch. The truck has not been driven in over 24 hrs. It caught on fire (under the hood only)in our driveway. We used a water hose to extinguish it quickly. Not sure how many parts have been damaged from fire. Luckily we caught it before any major damage occurred. This switch was replaced 3 weeks ago at a Ford dealer due to last Ford recall. However the last time the truck was driven the cruise control was used.

- Fredericksburg , VA, USA

Mar 212010

2002 Ford F150 burned down

- Ladson, SC, USA

Feb 262010

F-150

On February 26, 2010 my girlfriend and I along with our kids were driving to san diego, ca. As we were speeding up to pass a slow semi-truck my truck got stuck on throttle, I started to panic asking my girlfriend to check and see if there was a water bottle stuck underneath the break pedal, she checked, also panicking because we had our children asleep in the truck. I tried to push on the brake but it was really tough to push down on and the truck wouldn't slow down, we started to panic even more. I started driving off to the shoulder of the rode as I popped the gear into neutral and turned off the truck. I put the truck in park and turned it back on after a few minutes and the RPM's where revving at 6,000 and the break pedal was still very hard to push on. I turned the truck off again. I started pushing on the gas pedal, to see if I could loosen it, while the truck remained off. I turned it back on for the second time and it was running normal again. I hesitated put it back in drive. It seemed to be running fine so we were back on the road. My girlfriend and I were pretty shaken up until we got to our destination in san diego. This has never happened to me before. I haven't taken my truck in to get checked to see what could of caused that to happen due to financial hardship at the moment. We are constantly driving the truck every where, so I don't want this to happen again. So if there's any way that you guys can check this or find out the solution to this problem it would be greatly appreciated.

- Palm Desert, CA, USA

Jul 172009

F-150

The contact owns a 2002 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 35 mph and attempting to activate the cruise control, it did not work. He took the vehicle to the dealer and was told that the cruise control deactivation switch was leaking which caused the failure. He was also told that his vehicle was not included in recall 05V388000, vehicle speed control. The vehicle was being repaired at the time of the complaint. He called the manufacturer and a representative confirmed that the vehicle was not included. The current mileage was approximately 115,730. The failure mileage was approximately approximately 113,000.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Sep 102009

F-150

Mid September 2009 the cruise control on my Ford F-150 truck failed to come on. November 6, 2009 I went to winchester Ford, winchester, va to see if the switch was under recall and told no. I was shown where the cruise control switch is located and told the best thing to do was unplug it if I wasn't going to pay to replace it. I purchased a new switch from the parts room when leaving the Ford garage. On Sunday, 11/8/2009 I unplugged the switch and found everything covered in brake fluid. I plugged the switch back in to stop any fluid from spraying out onto the engine. I will have to find someone to replace the switch because I am physically unable to do the work.

- Winchester, VA, USA

Oct 092009

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Ford F150. His vehicle was parked for over twenty-four hours in the drive-way when the engine caught on fire. The fire department extinguished the flames. The vehicle was completely destroyed. The failure mileage was 167,000. Updated 12/08/09. The consumer did state that he had problems with the cruise control, due to a short and had not used it since. The fire department stated the cause of the fire was the cruise control. Updated 12/10/09.

- Enka, NC, USA

Feb 102009

F-150

Per our cause and origin investigator the cause of loss to this vehicle was directly related to recall # 05S28. Harleysville insurance has paid our insured for the 2002 Ford F150 as it was deemed a total burn.

- Washington, DC, USA

Feb 102009

- Washington, DC, USA

Mar 122009

F-150

The contact owns a 2002 Ford F-150. The contact's vehicle was repaired according to NHTSA campaign id number 05V388000 (vehicle speed control) in 2005. Four years later, while driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle speed control spontaneously engaged itself followed by a period of immobility. One week later, when attempting to enter the vehicle, the contact noticed flames erupting from the engine compartment. Within minutes, the vehicle was completely engulfed in flames and the fire department arrived to extinguish the fire. The vehicle was completely destroyed. It has not yet been determined what caused the failure. He called the dealer and was referred to the manufacturer. The contact called the manufacturer and is currently waiting for a response. He has copies of the fire report and pictures of the failed incident. The failure and current mileages were 100,000. Updated 05/05/09 the consumer believed the fire was a result of the recall. The consumer stated the cruise control switch was mounted to the vehicle brakes system, in which subsequent fires is caused by brake fluid leaking onto the swtich which would ignite. Updated 05/06/09.

- Baldosta, GA, USA

Mar 092009

F-150

The contact owns a 2002 Ford F150. The vehicle was repaired according to NHTSA campaign id number 05V388000 (vehicle speed control). A harness was installed, but it did not remedy the harness and vehicle speed control switch failures because there was no leak at the time. Currently, brake fluid is leaking around the switch from the master cylinder and the cruise control. The dealer and manufacturer stated that they previously repaired the cruise control switch, but the contact disagrees. The dealer agrees that it needs to be repaired currently; however, the contact would be responsible for the expenses. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Loganville, GA, USA

Mar 052009

F-150

2002 Ford F-150 fire result of cruise control switch.

- Cape May Court House, NJ, USA

Dec 042008

F-150

Vehicle was parked in my driveway and caught fire. The fire ignited my other vehicle that was parked next to it and also caused damages to my home. Both vehicles were a total loss.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 222009

F-150

01/22/09 I park my 2002 F150 at work at about 4:00pm. About 04:40pm the fire alarm sounded. My truck wes on fire, I had just park it! the fire man said it was on the recall list for fire's.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Nov 162008

F-150

Incident information during the summer, my 2002 Ford F150 had a factory recall for a cruise control problem. I took it to my dealer, and had the recall repair done. On November 16, 2008 I was driving 65 mph with the cruise control activated. Traffic slowed in front of me so I tried to deactivate the cruise control. It did not deactivate when I pressed the brake, so I pushed the off switch. The light indicating it was on went out, but the cruise control did not deactivate. I had to literally stand on the brake pedal to slow down, (narrowly averting a crash) and stayed on it until I was down to about 35 mph. Coming to a turn-off, I was able to pull off at 35-mph, and turn the key off. Upon restarting the engine, it still raced to a high RPM. I had to pull the fuse in order to drive home. I called my dealer, and was told it would cost $65 to have the problem diagnosed. I refused, and called Ford motors. I was told there that if the problem is the same as the recall, there would be no charge. If it was any other problem, there would be a $65 charge. I feel that this is a recurrence of the safety problem previously encountered and that thousands could be at risk. Signed.

- Round Rock, TX, USA