2002 Ford F-150 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford F-150:

2002 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Sep 142014

F-150

Takata recall. While I was driving I noticed a loud pop and my truck started vibrating and spun me sideways going down the highway. I had fought it until I was able to get it under control and come to a stop. (I was lucky enough that nobody else was heading in my direction because the truck took up both sides of the road). I got out and looked to see what had happened and seen my aluminum Ford factory rim had busted into pieces. Takata recall. A problem that I am having as of right now is spark plugs keep flying out and destroying my coil packs. This is the third time it has done this.

- Mckee, KY, USA

Aug 062014

F-150

The contact owns a 2002 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while parked, the vehicle ignited into flames. The fire department extinguished the fire. The vehicle was destroyed and remained at the residence. The VIN was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Lufkin, TX, USA

Mar 052011

F-150

Truck was parked in hotel parking lot and caught fire.

- Tahoka, TX, USA

Mar 052011

F-150

Truck was parked in hotel parking lot and caught fire.

- Tahoka, TX, USA

Dec 242010

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

2002 Ford F150, 4X4, 4 door. Was driving home from Kansas City Kansas to emporia Kansas, lucky I was stopping by a friends house in lawrence ks. I was stopped @ a red light in downtown, when the light turned green I gave my truck gas, heard a pop, smelled gas & lumped to a safe place to stop. Ended up having to call a friend & rent a trailer to drag my truck home. Found out that it had "blowin" a "spark plug"! what the heck"?" the consumer report book said nothing about this!!!!! after reading everyone's stories, I am sure, Ford pays them off! not just the "best" truck in America!!! but the "world"!!! but no I listened to my husband... I myself am a mopar person. Ladies don't let them men pick your ride for ya... hate to see you get stuck with a Ford like me.. because we all know "Ford" is not going to address this problem for us. But don't give up hope there is a: "world's best Ford spark plug thread repair kit". now don't we all feel "cozy"..... haha (sorry guys, girls just pick better rides!) 1/6/2011.

- Emporia, KS, USA

May 312010

F-150 8-cyl

Spark plug blow out Ford F150 4.6 V8 Triton engine.

- Apollo, PA, USA

Dec 292008

F-150

The contact owns a 2002 Ford F-150. While idling for approximately three minutes, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was unable to be restarted. The contact is in the process of having the vehicle inspected to determine the cause of the failure. The failure and current mileages were 83,000.

- Johnson City, TN, USA

May 122008

F-150

My 2002 Ford F-150 extended cab 5.4litre pickup blew a spark plug out of the number 3 cylinder. I called the local dealer to inquire as to the price of replacing an exhaust gasket as this is what the noise sounded like. The service adviser after hearing the make model and size engine and year of the truck said, "no you did not blow the exhaust gasket, you blew a spark plug out of the head". I was astounded as to how he could make a diagnosis of this type as I had never even heard of such an occurrence. The cost would be a minimum of $850. After going on the internet this seems to be a prevalent problem.

- Sacramento , CA, USA

Feb 022007

F-150 8-cyl

2002 Ford F-150 supercrew bought new from rivertown Ford. Paint is blistering. Small pieces of "?" are showing everywhere on the vehicle. Ford says its too late and not their problem. Paint job "blistering" less than 5 years old...... sounds like another late 80's - early 90's Ford paint problem again.

- Fortson, GA, USA

Oct 142006

F-150 8-cyl

I was viewing property in another county. I left my wehicle parked on a ranch road in order to ride with the realtor. When I returned to my vehicle (2002 F150 super crew) it was engulfed in flames. I had a camera because I was taking pictures of the property, so I have pictures of the truck on fire as well as pictures after the fire dept. Put out the fire. All contents and the vehicle were destroyed, but there were no injuries to any people or other property. There was an off duty police officer at the site when I returned, but I didn't get his name. He called the fire department and told me there wasn't anything else I could do. The realtor, a friend, and I left to view more property. We returned to take more pictures after the fire department had left as well.

- Laredo, TX, USA

Mar 042006

F-150 4WD

My husband was driving his Ford truck F-150 and suddenly crashed into a tree. He was seriously injury and still in the hospital he was in critical condition for two days and he will be disable for the rest of his life. The accident happened last week on March 4,2006.

- Bellevue, MI, USA

Dec 302004

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

(1) truck's bed spreading apart and ignition/wiring shortage (2) the bed of my truck has spread apart for no reason at all. I cannot even shut my tailgate. My truck's battery continues to run down. When I turn on my truck, the starter doesn't want to stop. A light displays, "door opened!" the windshield wipers stopped working. The music goes on and off. (3) I took my truck to the dealer to get the bed fixed. They set me an appointment. I made another trip over an hour one way to get fixed and then they didn't fix. My warranty has just recently ran out. I am having several problems and don't know what is the matter. I haven't had no luck with talking with a Ford mechanic. The wires in the steering column looks too tight or loose. There is a constant buzzing sound. My clock and mileage readings erases. My windows stop working. This only happens when I place the truck in drive. Most of the time everything starts working once placed in park. I only have close to 70,000 miles. This has been going on for months.

- Sutton, WV, USA

Dec 012004

F-150 6-cyl

The truck had a heating system failure. The door located in the heating unit (that opens and closes when the temperature is adjusted) became stuck in the open position which allowed only cold air to enter the air vent. The consumer had to turn off the heat system to prevent hyperthermia. As a result the defogger system couldn't be used which caused poor visibility. The dealership replaced the door and other components. The dealer also replaced the temperature potentiometer and actuator.

- Hockessin, DE, USA