2002 Ford F-150 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford F-150:

2002 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 012016

Drivers side seat belt buckle releases randomly without warning. After buckling / latching seatbelt driver can pull hard on belt and won't release, then after driving for a random amount of time (30 seconds to 3 hours) the seat belt will release without warning. Replaced latch with alternative (2001 year and different color) 1L7Z 7861203 bab. I believe that this problem represents a serious safety issue with the confidence of a seatbelt's ability to perform in an accident defective part is available for inspection.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 012016

Driver seat belt locked. Unable to buckle at all. When I pull the belt will not release.

- Mcintosh, AL, USA

Feb 152015

The contact owns a 2002 Ford F-150. While driving at approximately 5 mph, the front passenger side seat belt unlatched independently without warning. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Margate , FL, USA

Jun 022015

Male end of seatbelt will not clamp into female portion

- Augusta, GA, USA

Jun 292012

F-150 8-cyl

My son was driving our 2002 Ford F-150 the first time the seatbelt disengaged. It happens often. I called the local dealership and they told me there is no recall on this seatbelt. I have let this go long enough. I am calling Ford to see what they can do about this potentially deadly problem. I just hope this helps others that have had problems with their F150 as well. There is numerous complaints about the seatbelts coming un- buckled on there own, what has to happen to get this problem fixed?

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jan 232013

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

The driver's seat belt comes unbuckled for no apparent reason while driving.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Oct 012012

I always latch my seat belt. I have been doing this since 1983. I never drive without my seat belt latched. For a couple of years my drivers side seat belt has been mysteriously becoming unlatched while driving down the road. I thought I just wasn't pushing it in far enough something I have never before had an issue with in any other vehicle. After a few miles of driving the seat belt becomes unlatched. It is very noticeable because it makes an audible click and recedes back slightly relieving any tension applied to my torso. For a long time I thought I was crazy and I had just been in a hurry or something. After the unclasping I reinsert it into the receiver then I jostle it and see if it unclasping again. I have never been able to cause it to become unclasped by jostling it and up till today it would never become unclasped after resetting it. It happens at all speeds. The frequency has increased to an estimated 1/3 of the trips that this happens. Well today I experienced it again and reinserted the seat belt and jostled it and continued driving. This time I didn't get a mile before it became unclasped again. Aha! I am not crazy. Okay that sounds a little like I am but I assure you I am not. This is a serious issue and it has taken me several years to finely prove to myself that the seat belt is defective. So because the driver can not reproduce the unclasping by manually jostling the seat belt we tell ourselves that it may not be the seat belt. This causes the driver to not take the required action of having the seat belt fixed. I have been driving with my life at risk for several years now. I called the local dealer and asked if they have heard of the issue in my vehicle year make and model and was told that they have received no other complaints. This seat belt needs to be recalled.

- Redding, CA, USA

Mar 022014

The contact owns a 2002 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 15 mph, the driver side seat belt unlatched. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 210,000.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Jan 012010

F-150 4WD 6-cyl

Drivers seat belt disconnects on it's own, this happens multiple times during the course of driving.

- St Clair Shores, MI, USA

Apr 092013

Drivers seatbelt unlatched. Happens often.

- Pleasant Plains, AR, USA

Mar 162014

The contact owns a 2002 Ford F-250. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the driver's side seat belt buckle independently unlatched. The buckle would not remain closed even after several attempts. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 131,600.

- Lewis Center, OH, USA

Jul 282011

F-150 8-cyl

I'm just driving down the road and the seatbelt releases on its own.

- Byron , GA, USA

Mar 272013

F-150 8-cyl

The driver's side seat belt buckle unlatches spontaneously. There are many complaints on this site that describe the exact same problem with seat belts in this truck model. Unbelievably, Ford will not repair this obvious safety hazard at its expense. I believe that there should be an official recall of these vehicles for this problem.

- Encinitas, CA, USA

Mar 252013

F-150 8-cyl

I have just purchased this used vehicle, and upon initial inspection it was identified that there are 2 seatbelts in the vehicle that are faulty and will need to be replaced. The previous owner indicated that the driver seatbelt had previously released during normal operation without depressing the button on the buckle. In my inspection, I observed that the seatbelt buckle's button would not immediately release after being pressed. It appears that the spring is too weak to force the button up to engage the clasp in the buckle. In searching for a replacement seatbelt, it seems that this is a very common problem being talked about in discussion boards online. It appears that this item is out of warranty. As I prepare to replace the buckle, I am hesitant to replace with another oem part since there are so many people discussing this issue online. I plan to search for an aftermarket part, but would like to better understand this issue before moving forward. Is Ford and the NHTSA aware of this issue" what is the best solution for replacing the faulty seatbelts in this vehicle"

- Alexandria, AL, USA

Jan 022009

F-150 8-cyl

Driver side front seat belt unlatched without depressing button. Usually I turn male end over to avoid. Problem. Has been occurring since 2009 90000 mi.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 032012

F-150 8-cyl

Driverside front seat belt will not stay latched. Comes apart during driving

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Feb 012010

F-150 8-cyl

Seat belt buckle - receiver end intermittently releases while vehicle is in motion, when coming to a short stop, or making a hard right or left turn. I check every time I am in vehicle that my seat belt is securely fastened and it is, but I can be driving along and I hear a "click" and it has released on it's own. Nothing is pressing on the red release button and area is kept clear for that reason. I was on the highway yesterday and while driving at highway speed had to stop rapidly. The seat belt buckle released on it's own and I nearly slammed into the steering wheel. I have spoken to Ford Motor Company who states that the seat belt buckles have a 50,000 mile/5 year warranty and, unless there is a recall, they will not cover the cost of repair. I have read on Ford truck forums many reports of this occurring to other owners of this year and model, and there was a recall on the 2001 seat belt buckles but not on the 2002. What will it take for the dot to issues a recall - even 1 death would be too many! my local Ford dealership told me that it would cost between $150-$200 with labor to replace the part, but if the part is defective, I don't want the same thing put in the vehicle! I see others complain that replacement of the same part resulted in a repeat of the problem. Please do something about this and make Ford Motor Company recall these dangerous seat belt buckles!

- Littleton, MA, USA

Feb 132007

F-150 8-cyl

Ford F-150 super crew 2002. Driver seat belt pops off while driving. Frequency is increasing. Notified Ford dealer at 28,177 miles after several occurrences. Dealer could not repeat problem and dismissed issue. Seat belt issue increasing in frequency. Dealer and Ford customer service say seat belt is not under recall and will not pay to replace. There is a 2001 F-150 recall for the same issue -- seat belt intermittently failing, but does not include 2002 models. Several other complaints on the same issue on the same Ford F-150 2002 model have been documented. This is a safety issue that Ford should have voluntarily repaired when first detected by owner, no questions asked. Instead, Ford chose to write it off as not defective and now will not replace at their expense. Defective seatbelt parts will be replaced at owner cost and parts will be kept as evidence for future reference.

- Friendswood, TX, USA

Jun 202010

My father owns a 2002 Ford F150 pick-up truck. The passenger side seatbelt frequently comes undone. I have searched for recalls on this but I have found nothing. Will Ford pay the bill to get this problem fixed. The seat belts come undone often enough it is more trouble than it is worth to put it on. I have no faith in it working when it is needed.

- Owensville, IN, USA

Jun 022010

The contact owns a 2002 F-150. He stated that on June 2, 2010, the seat belt for the driver side and the middle seat failed. The contact spoke with the dealer who stated that the seat belt would have to be repaired at his expense. The failure and current mileages were approximately 147,000.

- Turlock, CA, USA