9.6

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Nov 152016

F-150 FX4

frame totally rusted out

I recently brought my F-150 into a local shop to get the exhaust replaced from the y-pipe back so I could pass inspection and when the mechanic put it on the lift the frame started to collapse in on itself. In one of the pictures you can see where it started to collapse. This happened on both sides. This is when the severity of the rot was discovered. All the pictures are from the drivers side as the rot is much worse there. One picture shows a crack running down much of the frame this goes through to both sides. You could easily pull this off the rot is so bad. It literally takes no effort to make it flex. The other pictures are of holes forming in the bottom of the frame tube. This is mirrored on both sides but less severe on the passenger side. The mechanic said that I should try to get rid of it as soon as possible. Being young and right out of college with loans, I don't have the money to buy a new truck. So I brought it to a family friend who is a very experienced welder to get his opinion on whether he thinks he could weld some steel plate to it to strengthen it, so I can keep it for another 2 - 3 years as I planned on doing since the truck is in perfect condition with no problems at all besides this, and he said that he wouldn't do it because of how rusted and weak the rot has made the frame. He said the passengers side could be done but still its not worth it. My next step is to bring it to ford to see if they will fix it or if there is some sort of recall but from what I've seen while searching online this probably wont get fixed. This is very upsetting because I've always sworn by my truck and ford as this truck has been so good to me and my father has also had great experiences with his super duties. But after this I feel as though I've been let down. This is not something that should happen on a vehicle.

- , Mansfield, MA, USA

Oct 012016

F-150 FX 5.4L

click to see larger images

frame totally rusted out frame totally rusted out

This truck was garaged and well maintained. I will never buy a Ford product again. I called Ford and was told the Truck is too old for them to do anything about it and hung up on. Drove it less then 10K a year. I guess Ford likes to make a truck a throw away .

NEVER BUY FORD, THEY DON’T MAKE A QUALITY PRODUCT NOR DO THEY STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

- , Wilmington, DE, USA

Oct 202016

F-150 FX 5.4L

frame totally rusted out

2004 FX F150 I can’t believe this Truck is scrap!

90% of my driving is during the summer months. The truck is garaged and all recommended services are done. The body and interior is flawless. The frame is completely shot un- fixable.

I was on line for this year F150 and a multitude of the same complaints. My family and I have always purchased Ford products but I cannot justify ever buying Ford product as well as my family and friends. I am curious to see what Ford says about this issue. From the complaints from other buyers of this Ford I am doubtful.

- , Wilmington, DE, USA

Nov 012016

F-150 8

frame totally rusted out

I really don't know what to say the driver side frame has rusted completely out. There's a way to fix it but it would require a lot of work and a lot more money than I have. The truck's 12 years old it shouldn't rust out like that. Not to mention several other problems that should never have been an issue. The computer messing up, the switch on the transmission and then the transmission. The stereo CD player would stop working for days at a time. The frame rusting out is my biggest issue and truthfully the last straw. I refuse to buy another Ford because of And frankly it just broke my heart.

- , Bastian, VA, USA

Apr 022016

F-150 XL 4.2L V6

Traded my 2001 F-350 and bought my F-150 used in 2004 from a dealer with 3000 miles on it. Frame started rotting in 2013 with 86000 miles on it and got exponentially worse as time went on. Now in '16 holes opened up in the front left . Looked OK. Didn't know or expect it to be beer can thin. It is unsafe and off the road. I nearly crashed because the steering box pretty much fell out rear shackles are buckled though I NEVER overloaded it. Rear axle is starting to rust through too. The rest of the truck is in good to excellent condition but, it is junk. Can't sell it except for parts, yahoo, might get 15 cents on the dollar for that. I wanted to keep the friggin thing for another 10 years. After I started complaining about it with locals I find out I know 3 other people whose frames rotted out. F**K Ford. Are the frames made from old scrap bought from Asia? "Built Ford Tough", yea tough on the wallet. Bought a 2015 GMC Sierra and will kick Ford's ass out of my truck buying.They should have had a recall with so many frames shitting the bed. Oh yea, I thought I was doing well because it was made in Canada.

- , Plympton, Massachusetts, MA, USA

Jun 012016

F-150 LTX V8

90000 miles and the frame looks like swiss cheese. not good Ford.

- , Oshkosh, WI, USA

Nov 172014

F-150 XLS V8

I purchased a 2004 Ford F150 pickup from a dealer in early 2014 for $10K +. Drove nice for a couple of months and then had some hesitation in acceleration. Dealer said it needed new plugs and charged $400 (his cost) to fix. Then in late November 2014 I wanted the truck gone through before I took a 14 hr drive to Florida just to be on the safe side. That's when my mechanic discovered very bad rust in the frame. Several holes had body putty in the frame to hide the holes. My mechanic told me I needed to get rid of the truck, auction it off or something.

The local Ford dealer said there was no recourse due to the age of the vehicle but offered to look at the truck, but off the record due to the fact that if it came in for regular service any results would show up on Carfax. I still owe $6000 on this truck and am afraid to take it to a dealer for trade in due to the rust and would feel guilty about unloading this on someone else. I'm ready to consult a lawyer at this point to see what my options are. The local dealer said that in Virginia it's a "buyer beware" issue and there's is no recourse. The hidden body putty to hide the rust holes really bothers me though.

- , Winchester, VA, USA

Jul 012015

F-150 5.4L

I am not going to roll over yet on my truck the frame is so rusted out that it collapsed some when they tried to lift it to do an alignment. I guess if the use sh*tty steel for a frame and still charge a fortune for that truck they should tell you that your $20,000 truck my rot right off the frame in 10 years. Think Ford should step up on this problem.

- , Neshkoro, WI, USA

Mar 042015

F-150 FX/4 5.4L

THIS REALY SUCKS THE TRUCK STILL HAS MORE LIFE BUT CAN NOT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT

- , Schenectady, NY, USA

Sep 292014

F-150 XLT 5.4L Triton

Ford has a recall on the same yr. different make vehicle. Wouldn't you think the same metal was used in the assembly of these vehicles. I have called customer relationship center @ 1-866-436-7332 to have them politely tell me there is no warranty, no recall, sorry.....and she hung up on me! THE FRAME ON THIS TRUCK IS SHOT!! unrepairable nothing to weld to. The rest of the truck is in great shape(little surface rust) Ford Co. will do nothing!!!!! I have a $10,000 truck that I can't drive. Anyone know who I should call next I would think something can be done. I am going to BBB next but I don't think that will help. Does anyone else have 2004 FORD vehicles with frame rusting out????

- , Chicora, PA, USA