2004 Ford F-150 body / paint problems

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Apr 022016

F-150 XL 4.2L V6

Traded my 2001 F-350 and bought my F-150 used in 2004 from a dealer with 3000 miles on it. Frame started rotting in 2013 with 86000 miles on it and got exponentially worse as time went on. Now in '16 holes opened up in the front left . Looked OK. Didn't know or expect it to be beer can thin. It is unsafe and off the road. I nearly crashed because the steering box pretty much fell out rear shackles are buckled though I NEVER overloaded it. Rear axle is starting to rust through too. The rest of the truck is in good to excellent condition but, it is junk. Can't sell it except for parts, yahoo, might get 15 cents on the dollar for that. I wanted to keep the friggin thing for another 10 years. After I started complaining about it with locals I find out I know 3 other people whose frames rotted out. F**K Ford. Are the frames made from old scrap bought from Asia? "Built Ford Tough", yea tough on the wallet. Bought a 2015 GMC Sierra and will kick Ford's ass out of my truck buying.They should have had a recall with so many frames shitting the bed. Oh yea, I thought I was doing well because it was made in Canada.

- , Plympton, Massachusetts, MA, USA

Jun 012016

F-150 LTX V8

90000 miles and the frame looks like swiss cheese. not good Ford.

- , Oshkosh, WI, USA

Nov 172014

F-150 XLS V8

I purchased a 2004 Ford F150 pickup from a dealer in early 2014 for $10K +. Drove nice for a couple of months and then had some hesitation in acceleration. Dealer said it needed new plugs and charged $400 (his cost) to fix. Then in late November 2014 I wanted the truck gone through before I took a 14 hr drive to Florida just to be on the safe side. That's when my mechanic discovered very bad rust in the frame. Several holes had body putty in the frame to hide the holes. My mechanic told me I needed to get rid of the truck, auction it off or something.

The local Ford dealer said there was no recourse due to the age of the vehicle but offered to look at the truck, but off the record due to the fact that if it came in for regular service any results would show up on Carfax. I still owe $6000 on this truck and am afraid to take it to a dealer for trade in due to the rust and would feel guilty about unloading this on someone else. I'm ready to consult a lawyer at this point to see what my options are. The local dealer said that in Virginia it's a "buyer beware" issue and there's is no recourse. The hidden body putty to hide the rust holes really bothers me though.

- , Winchester, VA, USA

Jul 012015

F-150 5.4L

I am not going to roll over yet on my truck the frame is so rusted out that it collapsed some when they tried to lift it to do an alignment. I guess if the use sh*tty steel for a frame and still charge a fortune for that truck they should tell you that your $20,000 truck my rot right off the frame in 10 years. Think Ford should step up on this problem.

- , Neshkoro, WI, USA

Mar 042015

F-150 FX/4 5.4L

- , Schenectady, NY, USA

Sep 292014

F-150 XLT 5.4L Triton

Ford has a recall on the same yr. different make vehicle. Wouldn't you think the same metal was used in the assembly of these vehicles. I have called customer relationship center @ 1-866-436-7332 to have them politely tell me there is no warranty, no recall, sorry.....and she hung up on me! THE FRAME ON THIS TRUCK IS SHOT!! unrepairable nothing to weld to. The rest of the truck is in great shape(little surface rust) Ford Co. will do nothing!!!!! I have a $10,000 truck that I can't drive. Anyone know who I should call next I would think something can be done. I am going to BBB next but I don't think that will help. Does anyone else have 2004 FORD vehicles with frame rusting out????

- , Chicora, PA, USA