2.1

2004 Ford F-150 drivetrain problems

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Oct 312016

F-150

My truck gets up to about 50 mph then acts like it goes into neutral, no power to the back wheels. I've noticed that more than a few 2004 F-150 owners have the same complaint. Has any inves10tigation been done and if so what were the findings. I live on disability social security and can't afford to have a transmission repaired.I was on a paved road at the time.

- Scurry, TX, USA

Jul 072016

F-150

Takata recall : truck is slipping in forward gears and the reverse will not move even if U you rev it up it's like it's in neutral. All this happened when I was leaving work to go home

- Dededo, GU, USA

Aug 152006

F-150

Grinding in rear axle assembly, differential needs rebuild,57K...

- Northville, MI, USA

Aug 012016

F-150

Unknown. Major popping in rear end while turning. When truck is in park I can roll it back and forth a good 10 inches in both directions.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 082015

F-150

Vibration at 45 to 55. When cold strong jerk in rear end area and sometimes on turn to right. Also comes in at times when going to passing gear. It is a differential issue more than a drive shaft issue. All U joints are tight. No imbalance in drive shaft. Have gone to special teflon gear oil... this appears to be design and possible safety issue.

- Powell, TN, USA

Mar 052016

F-150

112,000 and sent the truck in for a humming noise. The whole rear end needed to be replaced. The truck has had only highway driving with no off roading. Differential oil replaced every year.

- Hollis Center, ME, USA

Jan 142014

• 1,000,000 miles

Took truck to get tune up but was told I couldn't get warranty to help pay for service badly needed and due to that I lost work and was almost homeless but ended up getting help from my mother for tires that took 5 days and was a big headake at wallmart but that's another thing.its a long story but I'm doing my best to have a decent running truck that I can rely on to keep jobs.I just want it fixed so I had to become a mechanic just to find out there is a recall on theses motercraft 515 spark plugs and would like help to get copinsation and have repairs that is needs attion asap.long story short I love my Ford truck and learned a lot along the way please help.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Dec 262015

F-150

The contact owns a 2004 Ford F-150. After exiting the vehicle with the transmission in park, the vehicle suddenly began to drive in reverse. The contact was able to get back inside to stop the vehicle. Upon inspection, the contact discovered that the shift lever became disconnected. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 138,000.

- Leland, NC, USA

Mar 142015

F-150

Within a few weeks of purchasing my vehicle in February after pulling into a parking lot the check engine light came on. I also noticed it was making a ticking noise like a diesel engine but it's not a diesel. I went to get the codes and found it was a retarded variable valve timing issue code P0022. I looked online and went to multiple shops and mechanics to figure out the problem. After paying to replace the vct solenoids it was apparent that that was not the issue causing the timing problem. For weeks I noticed the truck shaking and at one point it actually stalled as I was pulling out of a parking lot into a busy road and it stalled as I was going into the road which caused the on coming traffic to slow and stop to avoid hitting me in the middle of the road. After spending weeks in the dealership service shop and a large sum of money they found they needed to replace the engine entirely. I have witnessed this issue happening to many many others online and in person who have the same year range with the 5.4L 3 valve Triton engines. This is absolutely unacceptable for so many vehicle to have the same issue especially when it has under 100,000 miles. It is not only very poor quality for such a large price but also a safety hazard to the owner and others around these vehicles.

- Boise, ID, USA

Jun 022015

F-150

The rear differential acts up and prevents the truck from accelerating properly. Stutters all of the time and has a mild misfire and what sounds like knocking.

- Plymouth, MN, USA

Apr 252015

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

I noticed that the cruise control started shutting off without ever touching the brake pedal or off switch. Then sometimes it would work fine for a few minutes then just shut off. When it does that it will not come back on again till the next day. I then checked the console shifter, I was able to shift of park with out pressing the brake pedal and even engine in off position. I am worried that the truck may jump out of park and run off and hit something or someone.

- London, KY, USA

Jan 012012

F-150

Original owner of 2004 Ford F150 FX4. From stop the rear end will vibrate as I accelerate. It's been doing it for quite a while. I believe it started around 40000 miles. I only have 54000 on it currently. So it has been like this for at least 3 or 4 years. It sounds like this is a pretty common issue. Does should definitely fix this known issue.

- Ponca City, OK, USA

Apr 012012

F-150

Truck rear end shakes violently upon acceleration at any speed or from a stand still. I had the rear end serviced and had the fluid flushed, but it only corrected the issue for a short amount of time. As time goes on, this issue only worsens. Ford has issued a service bulletin for a defective clutch pack(s) in the rear differential, but not a recall. This makes the vehicle feel unsafe and makes acceleration uneasy, especially when merging into moving traffic.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Mar 022015

F-150

The contact owns a 2004 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving at 45 mph, the vehicle decelerated to 30 mph without warning. The contact was able to drive the vehicle. The contact performed a diagnostic and found that the transmission needed to be replaced. The transmission was not replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Victorville, CA, USA

Dec 012007

F-150

Officially logging a well known problem with the 2004 F150 driveline. It has done this to the point of transmission replacement due to wear on the shaft. The driveshaft is not serviceable at all and was never lubed from the factory causing binding on the slip yokes which in turn causes swing bearing wear, U joint failure and to the point of transmission stub shaft wear ultimately causing failure. There seriously needs to be accountability for these due to the severity and liability. We owned the truck new and have driven with this problem until now. I hope to see a recall soon as tsbs are no help to the customer and most dealers do not even know that these parts are unserviceable. As a life long customer, thumbs down on Ford to allow this to go on.

- Wake Village , TX, USA

Jan 202015

F-150

I have a problem it pops up saying transmission fault and I want to fix it so help me please!!

- Greenville, TX, USA

Sep 062014

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Heard an exhaust leak and thought is was a muffler. Mechanic looked at problem and alerted me to the fact the driver side exhaust manifold was rusted and warped. There is also some damaged bolts being rusted or broken off. Truck is a Ford F150 heritage 2004, with 23,531 miles. Dealer will not repair due to out of time warranty.

- Newark , DE, USA

Apr 102013

F-150 8-cyl

While starting from a dead stop noticed a rumbling sound coming from the rear end. I had the rear differential fluid replaced, U-joints checked, and brakes inspected. (have had this done 3 times in the last 18 months at a cost of several hundred dollars)I mentioned this problem during a casual conversation with a friend who happened to be a retired Ford mechanic. He told me that while he was with Ford as a mechanic he replaced or rebuilt numerous rear slip differentials, and that it was a major problem especially with the 2004 F-150, and that I should investigate it further. I went on-line and found many many complaints about the 2004 F-150 regarding rear slip differential \with very expensive repair problems. Obviously Ford has known about this problem for a very long time, and has done nothing about except to offer lame excuses and charge exorbitant prices for repairs. I am concerned about the rear end locking up at highway speed and causing a fatal accident. Why hasn't a recall been required?

- Medford, MN, USA

Sep 022014

F-150

Experiencing shudders and shakes when accelerating.

- Denham Springs , LA, USA

May 012014

F-150 8-cyl

Malfunctioning differential- when starting from a stopped position, (especially from a turn) vibrations occur and posses a risk of a potential failure when pulling into oncoming traffic.

- North East , MD, USA