2. replace alternator (1 reports)
  3. replace throttle body (1 reports)
2004 Ford F-150 electrical problems

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Sep 142016

F-150 XLT Supercrew 5.4L Triton V8

So I had business about 20 miles away from home and when I got there all was fine, no sign of trouble. When I finished the truck wouldn't start. I called AAA who sent a truck to give me a jump start, and I was off again. On my way back home all electrical power failed, gauges, lights, the works, but the engine was still running. So I figured that my next stop should be the dealer since I was due for 155,000 mile service anyway, I'd kill two birds with one stone. Exiting the freeway the engine stopped outright and I coasted to a stop, about a half-mile from the dealership. Engine wouldn't crank at all, no sign of life at all. I called AAA again and this time they sent a tow truck to get me to the dealer. It took about 10 minutes for the technician to determine that the alternator had failed and that I had been on battery-only until it died and the engine stopped. New alternator. Recharged the battery. All is well. My only real gripe here is that these days an alternator for a 12-year old vehicle is over $300, whereas when I learned to drive and worked my way through school they ran $40-$60 at any auto parts store. Not so with all the electronic, computerized parts they have.

- , Hilliard, OH, USA

Dec 162011

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

One day I went to start my truck & it would stall out or go into failsafe mode. Turn truck off or restart and it would act fine. Then one day while driving at hwy speed the truck cut off and would barely restart. after it got it started I would hardly move. I turned it off and restarted and then it was fine. I drove it home and left it parked until I could research the issue. Check engine lamp had come on codes that were stored in the system related too throttle body response. I found out later after talking with a ford tech that these trucks had throttle body issues. The dealer that I got the throttle body from told me that he has sold at least 80 throttle bodys in less than a year. Lucky for me I was able to install it myself for about $300.00. Dealer wanted over $500.00 to do the work. Never had all of these issues with my 2001 F150. To date window issues,rear slider leaking water,front coil spring broken,rear axle seal leaking,throttle body failure. Whats next under 45k and all of these issues. I don't understand truck has been very well taken care of. It never has been off road oil changed every 3k all maint done per maint intervals.

- , Forest Hill, MD, USA

Dec 082010

F-150 XL

We are driving n Dallas traffic when my husband has to accelerate fast to get on the main road from a ramp. When he did we were listing to music and the music stopped, all gauges went to ZERO, the head lights dimmed and the air conditioner stopped. I have to say it shocked me. I though we were broke down. Then after he let off the gas like 30 seconds later every thing came back on. Every time there is a quick acceleration this happens. We had it tested and not a single garage could figure out the problem. One though it was the alternator, but we had a new one put in and it still did the same crap!!!!!!!!!!

So no I haven't gotten it fixed and unless the stupid truck quits running I won't. It's nuts and my friends are freaked out when I'm like "oh yea it's an every day thin, Don't worry... I think we will be ok". From what I found out about FORD is THEY SUCK HARD!

- , Spicewood, TX, USA