2004 Ford F-150 electrical problems

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Apr 222016

F-150

I was driving down the highway about 40 mph and the driver side window just fell to the bottom inside the door.I hadn't touched a thing. The 2004 Ford F150 has only 23,000 miles on it.I bought it new. I have read there has been alot of problems with this. Is there a recall or replacement?

- Sandy Hook, KY, USA

Oct 012015

F-150

We've had a lot of issues with this truck but the main issue is when we drive down the road it misses a lot and the smell of fuel in the truck. We've taken it in and they said a lot of other people have had the same issues with there truck like ours. Please contact us asap.

- Wolcottville, IN, USA

Aug 092015

F-150

My husband was driving home this past Sunday and was starting to turn into the drive when the left passenger window fell down into the door. He had not put it down or up - it just fell down. This is now the 4th window we have replaced in this truck. The other three have been replaced, to the tune of $350 each. When I brought this to the attention of the service manager at the local Ford dealership, he said there was nothing that he could do - the window regulators just break. I contacted the Ford 800 number and was told the same thing - nothing to be done - just a broken part - even though it happens a lot. He said there was no recall on it so there was no help they could give. So, I guess I'll be paying another $350 and pray they don't start dropping again since Ford won't admit they have a problem.

- Riverside, AL, USA

May 252015

F-150

On my way home from the lake, my vehicle starting idling rough. Pulled over to check things out, couldn't find any noticable issues. Retarted vehicle and engine started smoking. I raised the hood and smoke was billowing out from the coil atop the number 2 spark plug, drivers side, looking from front to rear of engine. Had thevehicle towed to bill collins Ford of louisville, ky.they informed me that the spark plugs needed changing. Upon removal, 4 of the eight spark plugs broke off in the engine head. This cost me $857 to change 8 spark plugs that normally I could do myself. The breaking of spark plugs in this type engine, 5.4L Triton, is a well known issue, that Ford Motor Company knew about. Yet they have yet to do a recall. Instead, they developed a tool to take these broken sprk plugs out, yet the consumer still has to pay sometimes upwards of $2,000 for the repair. Ford used a substandard part in their vehicles and refuse to honor the customer. They no lonegr use that type engine, but anyone with a 5.4L Triton engine from Ford will have to pay a lot of money to change eight spark plugs when the time comes. I could not put my vehcile into gear when this happened, that seems like a safety concern to me!

- Louisville, KY, USA

Oct 272011

F-150 8-cyl

I leave my windows up on the truck. It is cold (winter time) truck was in the garage. I went to the garage and the window on the passenger side was down. I cranked the truck, pushed the button and the window would not come up. I took the truck to the dealer they said the front door window regulator had to be replaced. This cost $344.66 to replace the regulator. Since the first replacement, the two back windows have done the same thing. I assume if my truck is having this problem others are also. This appears to be a defect and the company should pay for the repairs.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jan 082014

F-150 8-cyl

Fuel pump driver module, back side of module corroded away exposing circuit board causing the fuel pump to stop running and leaving me stranded during a snow storm, seems to be a common problem on 2004-2008 Ford pickups. I consider this a poor design and should be a recall, lot of garages installing new fuel pumps at $300 a crack when its a easy to replace $80 dollar part.

- Metamora, OH, USA

Oct 252013

F-150

Bought 2004 F150 brand new, never off road, all scheduled maintenance completed: Son driving on interstate at 65mph, heard loud breaking noise, severe rattling, shaking, no power, coasted down ramp and to side road. Towed to mechanic--rod through the oil pan. Mechanic verified that oil was pumped properly through motor.. same mechanic has worked on this car since we have had it. We have had to have all 4 door window motors replaced (twice-second time, we fixed front door windows and had back door windows wired up), the back glass replaced for leaking, the 4 wheel drive sensors replaced, the transmission rebuilt, the overhead cam system replaced and now this.

- Fort Smith , AR, USA

Aug 142013

F-150

On my 2004 Ford F150 XLT lariat supercab, the passenger rear window regulator has now failed. The driver's one went first (within three years of ownership), then the front passenger one (a few months later) then the rear passenger one ( about a year after the first) and now this. All four regulators have had to be replaced from the original factory installed ones. This latest one occurred while the truck sat parked in the driveway unoccupied; all the others happened on the roadway while the vehicle was in motion.

- Annapolis, MD, USA

Jul 012012

F-150 8-cyl

I own a 2004 Ford F-150. In 2012 I had my E-brake light start flashing at me. I brought it into the mechanic and had them look it over, they said they couldn't find anything wrong other then the wiring under the dash was probably bad, so I brought it to a brake specialist and they said the same thing, nothing wrong with cylinder or brakes, that it was the wiring under the dash. I'm truly not safe using my E-brake as I'm not sure if it is working or not. My interior lights started coming on also when I would turn on my headlights, everyone knows you shouldn't have the interior lights on while driving at night anyway. I have read several articles where other Ford F-150 owners are having the same problems. I think this needs to be looked into and a recall should go out.

- Nine Mile Falls, WA, USA

May 012013

F-150

Replaced two window regulators in vehicle. Driver's windown and passenger window.

- Reading, PA, USA

Apr 142013

F-150 8-cyl

As I was backing upward into my garage, I slowed down and the truck rolled forward and I quickly pressed the gas to resume backwards. This caused the check engine warning light to come on along with my od/off indicators on the dashboard. My reverse gear stopped pulling. I'm afraid had this been in route it might have been more serious of an issue.

- Austin, TX, USA

Nov 152012

F-150 8-cyl

Driver side power window, this is the forth time I have to have window repair on my truck, previous time before last one, was in July only 4 months ago I had to pay almost $300 to repair window, and now last time paid $425 dollars to repair that very same window and this time is the window regulator. Window will make a loud noise and drop, unable to bring it up or closed again.

- San Ysidro, CA, USA

Aug 212012

F-150 8-cyl

Passenger side power window collapsed into the door while driving. Briefly heard a pop/bang in the door thinking something hit the door, then the window went straight down without control. Now I have no way of retrieving the window back up and securing it. Plus unable to secure my vehicle or keep the elements of weather out of my truck. I will not use the truck to pick up my you children in this condition. I presume that this could be a significant safety hazard in similar situations with a distracted driver loosing attention to driving or in a severe weather condition. I will take it to a Ford service dealer and share my displeasure with this incident. For my safety and everyone else safety, I will get this repair. This incident is severe enough to hurt or kill someone if it is not addressed. I am still shaking with fear while typing this complaint.

- Lincoln, CA, USA

May 142010

F-150 8-cyl

While driving on the freeway my passenger side window unexpectedly fell through the door. When I pressed the button to open the window a tad the regulator broke and the window began to fall. A week later the second back passenger window came crashing down also. Thankfully it was while I was at the store and the car was stationary. I had to fix this out of pocket last week for about $700 for both windows, the repair guy at Ford said this wasn't covered or issued as a recall. Now fastforward to yesterday, my side driver window comes falling down and I had to use a doorstop to hold it up. I feel this is a widespread issue that Ford has not come to terms with. This should have been a recall issued years ago. Checking the internet there a numerous sites where angry customers of Ford are experiencing this problem way to frequently.(ex. www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/F150/2004/windows_windshield/window_does_not_roll_up.shtml) we have always bought Ford, but with the recent problems this might change.

- Antioch, CA, USA

Jul 042012

F-150

While driving down interstate drivers window for no reason just fell down causing a load crashing noise I nearly went into ditch. Two days later the drivers rear window did samething. I was not rolling windows up or down they just fell can Ford admit they have problem before someone gets injured.

- Burlington, IA, USA

Mar 242011

F-150 8-cyl

On 25 March 2011, I encountered a loud pop in the door on the driver-side of my 2004 Ford F-150 regular cab truck, and the window disappeared into the door frame. I removed the door panel and discovered that the cable mechanism within the window regulator had failed. Without further delay I turned the truck into my Ford dealer to have the window regulator repaired, and received a repair bill of $301.86 (the regulator alone cost $159.36); the Ford advisor stated that they had the part in stock since the window regulator failure was a common occurrence. I did not inspect the regulator to determine why the cable mechanism had failed. After this incident I visited www.NHTSA.gov to determine the extent of the problem, and learned that more than 240 other 2004 Ford truck owners had experienced the exact same problem in one door or the other in their trucks. As might be expected when inferior parts are installed in a vehicle, such as the window regulators in the 2004 Ford trucks, the passenger-side window regulator also failed. In the second instance I determined that a small, cheap piece of molded plastic on the window regulator had failed because of the immense pressure applied to it when the window was being raised. Details of that failure are listed elsewhere on this website.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Jun 252012

F-150 8-cyl

In late-June 2012 a loud clunk/thud/pop/small explosion occurred in the passenger-side door of my 2004 Ford F-150 regular cab truck, while the vehicle was stopped and idling, and the window dropped into the door frame. When I returned home I removed the door panel and discovered that a small piece of molded plastic, 1 1/8" X 1 7/8" (probable cost to Ford about 39 cents) on the window regulator had disintegrated/failed, allowing the regulator cable to release the window. I have found a replacement window regulator on the internet for $70 (Ford charges $175 for the part) and will repair the defective item myself. I notified Ford of the failure of a less-than-quality plastic piece on the regulator and asked for reimbursement. Ford responded: "there are no factory warranties or programs in effect on your vehicle that would provide financial assistance for your current vehicle concern." However, they did add: "recommend that you keep your repair receipts in case Ford initiates a recall or customer satisfaction program in the future based on customer feedback or further engineering review of similar complaints." I see from the large number of complaints on this website by Ford truck owners that I am but one of hundreds who have been affected, and obviously, there will be hundreds more; the odds are very high that the majority of the plastic pieces on Ford truck window regulators will fail sooner or later, and I seriously doubt that the 2004 Ford F-150 truck is the only model year that contains plastic parts in the window regulators. $70 to replace a failed piece of plastic that initially probably cost Ford about 39 cents to produce is a sad commentary on quality.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Apr 272007

F-150 8-cyl

I have a 2004 F150 with 22,000 miles on it and every window regulator in the truck has gone out and send the window crashing down. This is the fourth one. Ford will not recall it, it is a know issue. The dealership told me, "lady its you and thousands like you."

- Portsmouth, VA, USA

Feb 242012

F-150

I have owned this truck since 2004, no serious issues. This past Friday I noticed power was still going to my truck when it was turned off. The power accessory relay was clicking vigorously then stopped, no power inside my vehicle. I started the truck and everything worked except for the radio. I went for a drive than and then the reverse lights came on the door buzzer was going off, as I went to stop I heard a grinding noise occur than stopped. Was able to get it home. I have 30 years of mechanic experience and tried to find a possible short. When I removed the passenger side rocker panel I found the harness covered in rusty water. Now doing research on the internet, I have seen hundreds of people complaining about this issue, that Ford wont cover. It turns out many people had to have wiring harness replaced costing thousands. While conducting my research I have found out water is leaking through the windshield the rear window and wiring harness that travels through the firewall. Please help, Ford will not admit to their mistake.

- Blauvelt, NY, USA

Feb 252012

F-150 8-cyl

This truck has only been used three times in five months. It was parked on a parking pad unattended for three days an 10 hours. The main electrical wiring started a fire inside of the truck on its own. If it had not been found at 3:00 am it would have most likely kill two people in their beds. Updated 03/12/12

- Breaux Bridge, LA, USA