9.3

$5,958.00

1. replace engine (26 reports)
2004 Ford F-150 engine problems

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 022014

F-150 FX4 5.4L 24 valve

Just plain B.S. motor is junk . Pay that kind of money for a thought to be nice truck and the motor can't even make it to 200,000 miles. Had a 1996 F 150 that made it to 243,600 miles with no problem. I think that ford is having lots of motor problems because they are changing motor sizes every couple years. they need to go back to the 5.8 liter motor.

- , Brooklyn, Michigan, USA

Mar 192012

F-150 EXT CAB 5.4L

I have owned numerous Ford autos/trucks. I bought this one new. It was no problem until March 19, 2012. With 165,000 miles the check engine light goes on, it starts clacking, chugging and I'm forced to make an illegal lane change, and the engine dies. I'm catching my breath and I restart the truck. It starts but it is misfiring and shakin' up a storm. Engine light is on so I shut it off. I'm on my way to work and I don't have any idea what is up. Call AAA they take me to the dealer I bought it from. A day later they tell me they need to change the oil to check if a sensor is bad. Next day, YOU NEED A NEW MOTOR, $8100 PLEASE!!!! So I had it towed back to my house where it is sitting while I contemplate what the F^!K I'm gonna do!!! I'm reading WAY to many same situations for this to be random.

- , El Cajon, CA, USA

May 072012

F-150 FX4 5.4ltr

They say the third time is a charm. Called dealership and demanded refund for all repairs made to truck in Dec and Jan. I was told to bring the vehicle in and was given a rental due to previous issues. Had a meeting with service manager, Tec, and Vp. Called the next day was told that bearings were chard, wear in camshaft and holders? (rail) Also noticed sludge( I'm figuring cooked oil due to cam phasers not working properly).

Again, all service work and repairs were done at original dealer, no idea why this wasn't noticed the first two trips and two months time. Ford Motor Company will not recall or replace defective motor, even though design was changed one year later. Dealership accepted no responsibility for mus-diagnossis and Ford Motors won't help in any way with engine replacement.

Looking For Any Info on A Class Action Suit.......

- , Harrisburg, PA, USA

Aug 272013

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

2004 Ford F-150 5.4L V8 I took excellent care of this truck and on a road trip to Reno, NV it started rattling on the way home no prior signs then engine light started flashing. I checked the spark plugs and connectors as I was able to (web diagnose it) stopped at a Mom & Pop place that assured me it was fixable with a set of plug wires and plugs. Well $600 later I got hosed and took it to the Ford dealer that fleeced me for about the same $600 to say the number 6 cylinder was shot and was caused to a faulty guide chain ($8800) for a new engine. This was the last straw I took it to a shop in Reno, NV that was very helpful as they gave me an option of a rebuild or used engine. So I was given the choice of a 115K mile engine for $4700 or a new rebuild for $5600 with a 3 year 36 month warranty. I went with the warranty as the truck has been paid for a while. I drove it from Reno to San Diego with no issues.

- , Yuma, AZ, USA

Jul 092013

F-150 5.4L Triton

Kind of a follow up. Finally took to Ford Dealer to have timing chain replaced and was quoted 2k. Within a short time I get a call about all the issues and the price tag is now 2700. I give approval, very unhappily, and after the weekend I get another call. The heads are shot and really the engine is shot. Now 8700. Refused to have fixed and spent 950 for absolutely nothing. All of this and they tell me my strut springs are broke?? This truck was never off road and treated like a baby. They tell me the after market oil filters is what caused the issue with the engine. This is bull I never bought anything but the best. I have had all work done on my truck at a professional garage that I trust. I did the oil changes. They wouldn't touch this engine when my issues started. Done with Ford, after 5 vehicles. They put cheap parts on their vehicles give you crap warranties and rape you when you bring it in. 2004 Ford Truck 5.4, 9 years 108,000 miles=3sets of brakes, rear axle bearings, 3 sets of tires,1 computer, 4 sensors, 1 window motor and now 1 engine, strut springs something about a small oil leak whats next?? I am in this truck $55,000 that's a cost of $6105 per year not including gas and it sucks gas and never got the rated mileage. Never off road, never in an accident, never used for snowplowing, hand waxed 2 times a year and kept clean (box still rusted) oil changes done every 4k at the most. The 5.4 Triton motor is junk from 2004 to 2008(?) and Ford is well aware of it. This should be a recall because it is a safety issue when your vehicle dies in an intersection or at a stop light. I wouldn't put my grandson in this vehicle due to this. Now I know how stubborn I've been on autos not made in the USA guess I was wrong I can get a better vehicle with a better warranty on anything not built in Detroit.

- , Greenfield, WI, USA

Sep 092012

F-150 Lightning 5.4L V8

this is my 10th truck that i buy ... I like it its a sport truck and a great look I am used always to by GMC trucks

First of all I had an issue ... that i find common here with lots of people .. my Svt lightning oil pressure gauge went down to zero and a sign came on ... and the gauge started to go up and down. when the gauge goes down .. the was lifters sound which means i am losing oil pressure so i continued .... until i blew the engine.

this week i rebuilt the whole engine including a new pump .... it ran very well until today ... when i wanted to try it after training it for a week .... so the same Sh*t happens again and the oil pressure goes down and the sign came up and the engine started ticking :) WHICH MEANS WHAT ? so i turned it off and f*ck ur sh*tty car :) i am selling it and buying A GMC f#ck FORD

- , Kuwait, Kuwait, Kuwait

Jan 292009

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

-purchased the vehicle September 30, 2006. Kilometers on vehicle 60,723. Took it for test drive on September 29 there was a bit of noise on acceleration. They removed the driveshaft and lubricated slip yoke and it tested ok by them. (looking back now I should have walked away). -It came with a tonneau cover but when they went to install it, it was missing parts so they would have to order a new one. Never did get it. Have receipts for all complaints. -Took it back to dealership April 9, 2007 at 70,300km as it felt like slipping when starting from stopped position. They tested it and informed me that was normal and not equipped with limited slip rear end. -Took it back to different dealership on August 9, 2007 at 77,959 kms in different province as I had moved because there was a loud intermittent grinding noise in front end. They tried to tell me that it was my brakes but I know that it was not brakes. They also informed me that my rear seals needed to be replaced and along with oil/filter it cost $515. -On January 29, 2009 at 97,390 kms I had it towed to mechanic as would not start and was advised there was metal filings in oil. $157.26. Had it towed to dealership after I was advised over the phone it would be covered by Ford. I was then told I would need to replace the motor and it would not be covered. $5291.00. I asked about the grinding noise I had previously complained about and was advised it was my 4x4 trying to engage in which they changed the integrated wheel end. I filed a complaint with the dealership where I bought the vehicle, ford head office in Canada and the Better Business Bureau. No help. Sold the truck after I had it repaired.

- , Martensville, Saskatchewan, canada

Nov 212012

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

I changed oil regularly with Motorcraft synthetic blend oil and at 135,000 miles the engine goes out on my Ford F150 XLT super crew cab 4x4 with a 5.4L V8. It gave no warning. It just died and would not crank. I had it towed to a shop and they said it was probably the fuel pump. After checking it out they told me that there was no compression on bank 1. They said I needed a new engine at about $6000.00. I have heard since then that the 5.4L engine is a bad engine and that Ford has had problems with it. I am sick over it. I bought the truck new and paid good money for this truck and thought it would last me for over 200,000 miles. Boy was I ever wrong!!! I told the shop that I would pay them for the diagnosis, but was not going to put money into the truck. I traded the carcass for a Toyota. I will not be burned again by Ford. Besides that I had to replace three window regulators in the truck over the 8 years that I owned it.

- , Spring Hill, TN, USA

Jun 222012

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

Some 150 miles from home my F-150 left me stranded. The Low Oil Pressure light came on as the gauge dropped to zero, As I pulled off the road the truck stalled and would not start, sounded like a dead battery. I towed it home at a cost of $435.00 and called a local parts store to ask what to check. He said sounds like either vapor lock or a frozen engine. To check it, he said, drain the oil and look for metal shavings. I did that and found metal, tried to turn the engine over by hand (with an 18mm socket and breaker bar on crank shaft) its was stuck and will not turn over. Now I need a new engine installed at a cost of $6500.00 Must be the F in the F-150, it will F you at the dealership (Truck cost $36,000.00 new in 2004) and F you in the end ($6500.00 in repairs). Thanks for the F'n Ford.........

- , Grand Haven, MI, USA

Feb 062012

F-150 FX4 5.4L

I change the oil every 3,000 to 4,000 miles and add locus oil treatment every 3rd oil change, my motor never even made the ticking sound like all the other ford trucks do. I spent $1,000 to fix the F'ed up spark plug design 20,000 miles ago. I do not drive like a bad ass and never get in the mud. But yesterday I had to got to city hall (2 blocks over) and my truck started smoking and missing. They tell me I will need a new motor. My brother just replaced his transmission in his 04 ford. and his 4 wheel drive never works. and I know of at least two other similar cases with some fiends I have who own fords. I will never own another ford. Ford tough my a**...

- , Leland, MS, USA

Dec 012011

F-150 XL 5.4L

I BOUGHT MY 2004 F150 THREE YEARS AGO WITH 32K ON IT. Ive always done the basic maintenance on my truck i don't haul heavy loads or drive crazy. Since ive had my truck ive had the tranny rebuilt twice , power steering , rear diff seal , left tie rod , idler pulley , and now the whole engine. WTF! what happened to ford? i'm just a ave guy with 2 kids and a wife i can afford to put all this money into a truck whom creators say it's their the best. built ford tough. and the worst thing about it is its christmas. IF ANYONE HEARS ABOUT ANY CLASS ACTION LAW SUITES PLEASE EMAIL ME....bucknut002@gmail.com....im going to try to come up with the money to replace the engine (dont know how i will) then im trading this fing truck in on a new Toyota truck. i hope all life long ford owners have this problem and they turn their back on ford like ford has turned their back on us! this is bs. i see why ford didnt get a bail out they must of let anyone design this fing 5.4. then they must of use the cheapest material to put this pile of sh!t together. thanks ford for screwing my new year up! hope someone burns your plants down. ANY CLASS ACTION SUITS PLEASE EMAIL ALL OF US

- , Delaware, OH, USA

Sep 212011

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

I was driving down the road, when I had a low oil pressure problem. Oil level was fine, drove a little further and check engine light came on with the low oil pressure, I decided not to chance it so I had truck towed in. The dealership said it could be several things, but to be on the safe side, better to replace the engine.

I changed oil every 3-5k miles, regular tune ups etc. Just can't believe it only has a 125k miles on it and I have to replace. Fyi I did have the loud clicking sound with my truck, and I had to change the window parts on 4 of my windows. I did not think to check if this was a common problem. Again like everyone else will not be buying ford anymore.

- , Knoxville, TN, USA

Jul 022011

F-150 FX4 Triton V8 3v 5.4L

My truck made it to around 141,000 miles last week. No warnings or changes with truck but this year gas mileage was not as good as previous years. Driving home from Menard's I drove 1 mile to hwy 20 that has 65mph speed limit drove around 2 miles when going to pass a semi but pickup started losing power so slowed down and turned behind semi. I noticed my engine light was flashing so pulled over to shoulder and shut pickup off. I started engine for other guy with me to check for what problem was where I had to give gas to keep running. He thought it might be with timing chain. I tried to start truck again but no luck. Had to haul my truck away on flatbed trailer to later find out that my engine is beyond reasonable repair from reasons you mentioned(7/02/2011). Never had problems before and always up-to-date on service. Reason for this?!?

- , Nashua, IA, USA

Feb 172011

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

I bought my f150 used with 40,000 miles. all was fine. change oil regularly with reccomended oil. Just recently i noticed a ticking seemingly coming from the rt. side valve cover area. one week later it was noticeably worse. I decided to try an oil change although it was not due to see if it would help. Returning home from the auto parts store, as i pulled up into my driveway I got a really low idle, the engine shut down with and low oil pressure in the info area. It restarted with no problem. I proceeded with the oil change, started the engine and monitored the oil pressure. All seemed fine but the ticking still existed. Drove to work with no incidents, just ticking. The next night on my way to work everything was normal (aside from the ticking) when i noticed a sudden decrease in eng power and my a flashing check eng light. I detoured straight to the ford dealership, put it in park and it shut down again with low oil pressure indication. When I talked to ford the next day, they informed me that i had low compression in 3 cylinders which they could not explain and that throubleshooting would be lenghty & costly & considering the " high mileage 116000" I needed a new eng @ a whopping $7000. There's something really wrong here. 116000 is not high mileage today, I should not be replacing an eng with i consider low mileage in an otherwise perfectly good vehicle. Who's to say I wont be doing it again @ 80000 judging from some of the other complaints.

- , acworth, GA, USA

Dec 242010

F-150 5.4L V8

I have had Ford vehicles all my life, an Escort, Ranger, Explorer and an F150. I bought my F150 new and had 65K when the engine failed. I am flabbergasted! I changed the oil, using synthetic oil from Mobile 1 or Syntec, ever 5000 miles. I had the standard 6 year 60K warranty and it expired in July 2010. Of course the engine would fail after the warranty expired. During the warranty period I had to send my POS in for a 4x4 gear box problem, transmission service, an unexpected falling passenger front window that cost me $400 to replace because it wasn't covered under the warranty and failing ignition coil. After the warranty expired another ignition coil failed. At 65K my truck developed a severe valve tick. Maybe the Ford engineers didn't do enough empirical or stress testing on their 2004 engines. Maybe Ford doesn't give a sh*t and just put a POS truck out on the market knowing that people would buy their product because of their reputation of Built Ford Tough "BULLSHIT". Maybe Ford bought materials or parts from sub standard sources just make more profit. All I know now is that I regret buying this hunk of sh*t and that I am forced to pay $6000 for an engine that should have lasted 3 times longer. Of all the times for a vehicle to experience catastrophic failure, "CHRISTMAS EVE" I broke down on the highway and barely got the truck out off the road. All I heard were the sounds from top part of my engine disintegrating. I plan to follow up and make additional complaints to the appropriate federal, state agencies and consumer advocacy groups. Someone suggested on another engine failure complaint that a class action suit should be filed. I'm game!!! This problem needs to be addressed before some gets hurt or killed when engines seizes up in heavy traffic or during bad road conditions.

- , La Plata, MD, USA

Dec 082010

F-150

We bought our 2004 Ford f150 4 years ago with approximately 20,000 miles on it. It started misfiring and the engine light would occassionally come on so my husband took it to a mechanic who originally said the spark plugs needed to be replaced. Three weeks later we are being told both cams are bad and it needs a whole new engine which will cost about $8,000.00. Are you kidding me, it only has 80,000 miles on it, absolutely unbelievable!!! Ford built tough, don't think so Ford. Does anyone know if there is a pending class action suit?

- , Marysville, WA, USA

Dec 052010

F-150 V8

My mother just spent $18,000 on a pre-owned Ford, F150 Larriett that had 7500 miles on it. After having a few days, she noticed a ticking in the motor and was told that it was just the way the engine was supposed to sound. 6 months later, the noise had gotten louder, so she took it to the Ford dealership in Barryville, AR (were it was purchased). They told her that a valve had gone bad and that it would cost about $1500 to replace. She had them proceed with service on it, only to have them call her back and say the engine had to be replaced! Cost was almost $7000!! She had no choice but to get it fixed, and when returned to her, it still runs like crap. She called them back explaining that it was still not running right and the man said he knew what was wrong, and that he broke a little piece off of a part when fixing it and to bring it back. This is CRAP!! I've talked to at least 6 people with same or close to the same truck, whom have experienced the same knocking/ticking sound and now, I'm seeing all kinds of bad reviews. I think something needs to be done, so that people do not keep spending their hard earned dollars and savings and getting ripped off. Why isn't Ford issuing a recall? There should be many lawsuits about this. We will be report to the Attorney General's office!

- , Kirbyville, MO, USA

Dec 242010

F-150 FX4 5.4L V8 3v

I've had my 2004 F150 FX4 since September of 2004 and ever since it hit mile 12,000, it's had that incessant ticking just like a diesel. My father owns a 2008 Duramax diesel 3/4ton and his truck runs quieter that my F150. I have changed my oil at regular 3-4,000 mile intervals and each time the techs just said "cam phaser" or "noisy lifter" or "it's a Ford, they all do this". My last oil change was December 14th at 9 am. I went to pick it up at 12 noon and it hadn't moved from where I left it in the lot. By 4 p.m. they were just backing it out of the shop when I arrived to pick it up. After 9 days of in-city driving and maybe a couple of short haul highway trips (30 miles round trip per trip), we left for a 550 mile Christmas Eve voyage to see relatives. We were about 30 miles from our destination when the Check Gauges light came on and my oil pressure went to zero. I was about a half mile from the nearest gas station and idled it in and shut it down. Check oil, everything seemed good. Started it up, gauges read normal, including oil pressure. Stepped on the gas pedal a few times, nothing changed. Pulled back onto highway and for the next 8 or 9 miles there was no abnormal sounds or indications anything was wrong. All of a sudden the oil pressure gauge bounced a couple of times and I immediately threw it in neutral, shut the ignition off and glided to a stop (pitch black outside but somehow found an approach to a farmyard). Had my truck towed to nearest dealership in the town we had stopped in 9 miles back and 4 days later (after Christmas vacation had ended), technician called and said they dropped the oil pan and found plenty of metal (main bearing) and that I'd need a new engine ($7600 plus $2244 installation). I plan on heading back there on Wednesday with a trailer to pick it up and bring it home.

There is something not quite right with this scenario and although my truck has about 120,000 miles on it, it has been babied and serviced by the book. It's been properly maintained (oil, filters, tires, ball joints, transmission fluid changes) and has never given me an ounce of grief until now.

- , Warman, Saskatchewan, canada

Oct 202010

F-150

I bought a brand new 2004 F150 FX4 back in 2004. I had it in the shop between 05 and 07 because it started sounding like a diesel just not as loud. I also had my oil changed at the same time and I mentioned the problem to them. When I got my truck back the dealership told me there wasn't a problem and everything was normal. Now on Oct 20 I was driving to work and the oil pressure gauge dropped to 0 and the check gauges censor dinged. I had it towed to another dealership where they told me my engine would need to be replaced. My truck only has 86000 miles and cost me 40000 dollars. I'm willing to go into a class action lawsuit with Ford. Whose with me? Thanks

- , Kansas City, KS, USA

Sep 012010

F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8

i bought a ford F150 falling for their tag words " build tough" bull sh*t i hardly did 37K miles and had to replace the engine.. anyone planning to buy one...just forget it ...not worth investing.

- , Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates